British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Utilities (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/utilities-933639/)

SanNico Jul 6th 2020 1:32 pm

Utilities

Apologies if this has been covered many times before, I could only find details around the introduction of peak time charging. At the end of the month, when we have our NIE's, we need to take over the utility bills from our landlady. We're looking for advice on suppliers for internet, phone, water, gas and electricity. It's a rented apartment so there's no opportunity for solar panels etc. We're expecting high consumption as we have a lot of glass and high ceilings in a 19th century building but we would like to reduce the financial burden if possible.

Specifically:
Is there a price comparison website?
Are there all in one suppliers?
Any recommendations?
For internet and TV we're pretty sure we will go for Vodafone as they have a great offer for 100Mbps, HBO and 2 SIMs which will suit us perfectly. The apartment currently has Vodafone and it works a dream.

Thanks in advance.

Loafing Along Jul 6th 2020 3:36 pm

Re: Utilities

Originally Posted by SanNico (Post 12877387)
Apologies if this has been covered many times before, I could only find details around the introduction of peak time charging. At the end of the month, when we have our NIE's, we need to take over the utility bills from our landlady. We're looking for advice on suppliers for internet, phone, water, gas and electricity. It's a rented apartment so there's no opportunity for solar panels etc. We're expecting high consumption as we have a lot of glass and high ceilings in a 19th century building but we would like to reduce the financial burden if possible.

Specifically:
Any recommendations?
For internet and TV we're pretty sure we will go for Vodafone as they have a great offer for 100Mbps, HBO and 2 SIMs which will suit us perfectly. The apartment currently has Vodafone and it works a dream.

Thanks in advance.

Here is one site :https://comparadorofertasenergia.cnm...x.cfm?js=1&e=N

This is the official site of the Spanish Energy Commission.

Barriej Jul 6th 2020 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by SanNico (Post 12877387)

Specifically:
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest you look at Insulation before you do anything else. We have an apartment thats only 15 years old. And while it has double glazing, the fit of the windows and the glass is appalling. I spent most of the visit in October last year fitting new seals, sealing around the frames and packing the glass panels to stop draughts coming around them.

I have one of those electronic temperature things and the comparison between the previous winter proved I was right to do what I did. Cant wait till we move over permanently in August as i have lots of other bits to do.

Im not sure where you are located, but the water in our place is billed by the local town hall (so you can't change like you can in the UK)
We also don't have gas, but I'm sure its possible to shop around.

SanNico Jul 7th 2020 6:36 am

Thank you for the replies, that gives me a good starting point. We can't do anything about improving insulation as it's a rented apartment in a 19th century palace. However, the owners have performed major renovations including double glazing and insulation on internal walls. The windows seem pretty good, we're in the old town in Valencia and when we close them we can't hear any street noise and rooms stay cool for quite a while after switching off the air con.
It's a bit of a shock for us. Before moving here we were in a country house in Italy where the only mains service was electricity. We had a wifi connection and a well, that was it.

spainrico Jul 7th 2020 8:49 am

Have you checked the landlord is happy for you to change suppliers? When I rented the landlord would not permit me to change.

bfg69bug Jul 8th 2020 3:38 pm

with the two houses that we have rented the owners would not allow us to put our name on anything, I´m not sure if it was to hide that we were there or if it would of given us some "legal standing" if things went pear shaped?

Loafing Along Jul 8th 2020 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by bfg69bug (Post 12878593)
with the two houses that we have rented the owners would not allow us to put our name on anything, I´m not sure if it was to hide that we were there or if it would of given us some "legal standing" if things went pear shaped?

If you have a contract you have "legal standing" so maybe the former . On our property we always insist the tenant takes over the utility bills so as not to be left with unexpected charges when they leave . To a certain extent rely on inertia , people cannot be bothered to go through the hassle of changing suppliers.

spainrico Jul 9th 2020 6:33 am

I might be wrong but I think only the property owner can 'own' the contract for utilities but a tenant with a valid contract can pay the invoice directly.

Loafing Along Jul 9th 2020 7:29 am

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12878847)
I might be wrong but I think only the property owner can 'own' the contract for utilities but a tenant with a valid contract can pay the invoice directly.

We do a straightforward "handover" and the tenant , with contract, signs directly with the utility company. It is the same as transferring utilities when you buy/sell a property.

SanNico Jul 9th 2020 7:51 am

Yes, she's doing a full handover. In fact she insisted on it. She seems to be very thorough in everything she does. We just want everything in our names for autonomy but we're waiting on the NIE numbers.

cermignano Jul 9th 2020 9:30 am

You need your NIE to do practically everything same as in Italy with the Codice Fiscali. I got mine from Embassy in Edinburgh before going over so it was no bother. My water bill comes from Ayuntamente. I don't have gas so bottles are used in our village. If you have lived in Italy, you will know that heating is a must in winter. Good luck and enjoy.

SanNico Jul 13th 2020 8:11 am

Yes, we're finding that out that hard way. I can't even order coffee pods without it. Hoping to at least get the number this week as we need to get moving with the bank accounts and utilities. And coffee pods. Homeworking dictates lots of coffee.
Re: Italy, you're not kidding. Even though we were in Puglia it got very cold, not so much temperature wise but the wind and humidity went straight to your bones. We had a pellet burning boiler there, it was great but required a lot of maintenance so we're happy to have mains utilities here.

snikpoh Jul 15th 2020 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12878847)

Even the tenant can take over the contract - rather alarming as they can then change supplier, tariff etc. But that's what it is - some of my tenants want to own the contract and others just pay the bills