Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Using Debit Card in France

Using Debit Card in France

Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Using Debit Card in France

Originally Posted by lyric050203
I use a debit card for fuel frequently to get the extra 2% discount. I always ask for 50€ as that is nearest to what I will need but never achieve it, usually 40ish € of fuel. By the time I get home the return has been credited to my account. No extra taken.
SabadellSolbank who seem to own CAM these days.
That's slightly different. You're using a self service pump where you're telling them how much you want to spend. The full amount is debited along with a credit if you were under.

The OP is using a debit card in a self service garage where they are telling you how much you can spend and a retention of that amount is put on your card, but not charged. The actual amount you spend is debited, and the retention balance is subsequently cleared.

I always use my CAM credit card when buying fuel in Spain or France to get the promotion points.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

If you're worried about that then you'd best not hire a car as they usually block the security deposit which can be a hefty sum.

People have arrived on holiday only to find that the spending money they thought they had on a card has been 'reserved' and is therefore not available to them.

That could definitely spoil your day !
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue
I think they do it because when you use your card at the pump they have no idea of the amount of petrol you are going to use, so in order to guarantee you have enough money to pay they put a hold on a specific amount. Then when the transaction is finished they debit your account for the actual amount. The trouble is some of these "holds" stay on one's account for up to 48 hours thereby effecting the available funds.
The "holds" are on my account for 10 days, not 48 hours.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
If you're worried about that then you'd best not hire a car as they usually block the security deposit which can be a hefty sum.

People have arrived on holiday only to find that the spending money they thought they had on a card has been 'reserved' and is therefore not available to them.

That could definitely spoil your day !
But in the case of car hire you can see the justification for a block for the security deposit. In my case the transaction was finished once the fuel had been taken and the card had been debited. If I went back to the filling station, there is no way that I could take more fuel on that transaction. Maybe there is a reasonable justification for this but I haven't seen it yet.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gardner8
I regularly drive through France and have the same retentions showing up in my account with Bankia, happens every time and not just petrol stations, that's using a debit card with more than sufficient available to pay the bills.

I have used my CAM debit card a lot in supermarkets etc in UK, France and Spain and never had this problem before. However this was the first time I have used it in an automated petrol pump. How long is the retention with Bankia?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
The "holds" are on my account for 10 days, not 48 hours.
Wow that is extreme. Did you ask the bank why the hold was for that long?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Some information on the pre-authorisation process here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold

Snopes has something to say about it too.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/gascharge.asp.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, in the States you have to pre pay. Normally I have no idea how much so I have to say something like $50 and they debit your card. If then you only fill $30, they take your card back and credit it! It anoys me but if you argue they just tell you to fill up elsewhere! (And have a nice day)
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue
Wow that is extreme. Did you ask the bank why the hold was for that long?
Yes but I couldn't get any sense out of the CAM/Sabadell call centre person I spoke to. I have emailed an official "reclamacion", maybe that will reveal more.......
Old Oct 12th 2012, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petew
Yes but I couldn't get any sense out of the CAM/Sabadell call centre person I spoke to. I have emailed an official "reclamacion", maybe that will reveal more.......
I forgot I had never closed this thread off. I got a letter from Sabadell/CAM informing me that my reclamacion had been assigned a reference number. Since then - silence - no email, nothing. I was hoping Sabadell would improve on CAMs customer services which were OK as long as you didn't actually want them to do anything.