Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Using Debit Card in France

Using Debit Card in France

Old Aug 24th 2012, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Using Debit Card in France

I used my CAM debit card at an automated petrol station in France - bought about 30 euros of petrol no problem. I don't like using these but I had no choice at the time. When I checked my CAM statement the 30 some euros had been debited but also 120 euros has been blocked (retenciones) in respect of this purchase. CAM say this is standard and it will be unblocked after 10 days! Fortunately I am sufficiently in funds that it's not a problem but it could have been inconvenient.

Has anyone else experienced this? A good reason to avoid using automated petrol pumps....... Are CAM being unreasonable or do other banks do the same?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 12:38 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Debit Card in France

They do that over here in the US too. Once the bank put a hold on the same amount 3 times for one transaction so I don't use a debit card anymore when I am filling up. I think they put a hold for a certain amount in the UK when you get petrol as well don't they? I don't know if it's wide spread, but I it happened to me when I was in the UK in April. I had filled up using a prepaid debit card and they put a hold on for far more than the petrol I was intending to use.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

It depends whether you are using a debit, credit or pre paid card. The three should not be confused. if you use a debit card, the amount goes out of your bank and that's an end to it. If you use a credit card, the amount goes on your bill etc, etc. Can't speak for a pre paid card.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 1:09 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It is a security thing, they check to see that you have sufficient funds before fueling commences.

If you checked the pump, after your card was verified, you should have seen:
"Begin fueling up to 120 €" (in French LOL)

They will reserve this ammount from your card. When the actual amount is debited this reserve should be cancelled.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:11 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

filled up more than a couple of times travelling from Calais down to Spain, didnt notice any unusual activity on my card (debit). Previous time used a credit card by mistake and again no unusual activity

but they are from a Big 4 UK bank, not a Spanish bank.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
It is a security thing, they check to see that you have sufficient funds before fueling commences.
Exactly
Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sue,

It was many years ago, but I still remember the first time I hired a car in US. I stopped for "gas" and had to pay cash before filling. I asked for $25 worth and the reply was "What are you driving boy, a petrol tanker?"
Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by missile

If you checked the pump, after your card was verified, you should have seen:
"Begin fueling up to 120 €" (in French LOL)

They will reserve this ammount from your card. When the actual amount is debited this reserve should be cancelled.
They have debited the actual amount for the fuel but there is still a block on my bank account for 120 euros - for 10 days according to the details. I can't believe they can do that. When it comes up with the "begin fueling" message you have 60 seconds to begin. How do they justify 10 days ??
Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue
Exactly
Sorry (and I mean this in a friendly way) I don't understand the relevance of this comment. The machine checks you have funds then allows you to fill up. Your bank account is debited with the actual amount for the fuel (30 euros in my case). It's not possible to "steal" more fuel so how do they justify a 120 euro block??
Old Aug 24th 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a debit card for fuel frequently to get the extra 2% discount. I always ask for 50€ as that is nearest to what I will need but never achieve it, usually 40ish € of fuel. By the time I get home the return has been credited to my account. No extra taken.
SabadellSolbank who seem to own CAM these days.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lyric050203
I use a debit card for fuel frequently to get the extra 2% discount. I always ask for 50€ as that is nearest to what I will need but never achieve it, usually 40ish € of fuel. By the time I get home the return has been credited to my account. No extra taken.
What bank do you use?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lyric050203
Sorry, just re-read your post, I assume you bank with CAM/Sabadell. When I spoke to CAM they said that the retencion is initiated by the retailer (Intermarche France) - but they allow it...
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:38 pm
Started off with nothing

It is not only petrol stations in France who do this. It is a normal and regular transaction process.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by petew
Sorry (and I mean this in a friendly way) I don't understand the relevance of this comment. The machine checks you have funds then allows you to fill up. Your bank account is debited with the actual amount for the fuel (30 euros in my case). It's not possible to "steal" more fuel so how do they justify a 120 euro block??
I think they do it because when you use your card at the pump they have no idea of the amount of petrol you are going to use, so in order to guarantee you have enough money to pay they put a hold on a specific amount. Then when the transaction is finished they debit your account for the actual amount. The trouble is some of these "holds" stay on one's account for up to 48 hours thereby effecting the available funds.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

I regularly drive through France and have the same retentions showing up in my account with Bankia, happens every time and not just petrol stations, that's using a debit card with more than sufficient available to pay the bills.

Last edited by gardner8; Aug 25th 2012 at 8:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.