British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   A useful academic exercise???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/useful-academic-exercise-792701/)

Jon-Bxl Apr 2nd 2013 6:31 pm

A useful academic exercise????

Just watched BBC news and sociologists after a large survey, have redefined 'class' in the UK. We now have SEVEN levels!

They have even created a 'class calculator' so you can check out your own CLASS-ification in society! You you can now see what group/box you now fit into.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973.

I wonder how useful this sort of thing is - oh well gave work to some academics I suppose?? :sarcasm:

Jon

jackytoo Apr 2nd 2013 8:41 pm

Re: A useful academic exercise????

I doubt there is a class to slot in the Phillpots:frown:

amideislas Apr 2nd 2013 8:53 pm

I for one, am happy to see it.

The "pidgeonholing" of he classes into categories we expect, rather than what they really are, desperately needed to be re-examined.

Rosemary Apr 2nd 2013 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10637712)
I doubt there is a class to slot in the Phillpots:frown:

I doubt it too. Actually that is a good thing, they really are a class of their own and hopefully no-one else aspires to join them there.

Rosemary

jimenato Apr 3rd 2013 12:25 am

Not at all useful. If I do the test as I am now it puts me in working class, if I do it as I was 15 years ago it puts me in elite. But I'm the same person.

Pocaloca Apr 3rd 2013 1:45 am

I started doing it but it's just too ridiculous. Do they really think class is about whether you prefer opera to hiphop? I don't like either, so I guess I'm in a class of my own :D

Pocaloca Apr 3rd 2013 1:53 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10637986)
Not at all useful. If I do the test as I am now it puts me in working class, if I do it as I was 15 years ago it puts me in elite. But I'm the same person.

That's called social mobility though, these days hardly anyone stays in the same class all their life.

jimenato Apr 3rd 2013 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10638131)
That's called social mobility though, these days hardly anyone stays in the same class all their life.

Which would usually be considered a good thing. But I went from elite to working class.:(

Jon-Bxl Apr 3rd 2013 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10638272)
Which would usually be considered a good thing. But I went from elite to working class.:(

I'm proud of my working class roots: My friends and I grew up on the same street in the poor part of town... and nearly 50 years later the 5 of us still meet up annually (at least) for a 4/5 day 'lads weekend'. Wonderful time, every time.

I also think the exercise is ridiculous as well, a few screens of simple questions and you are 'pigeon-holed' to some academics definition ..... and really what does it matter? Nothing against academics, but it depends on what they are studying.

With questions about e.g hip-hop they are bringing in new elements to 'class'.

One way I personally define 'class' as the way a person behaves. I've met some amazingly wealthy people who have no 'class' at all. They would naturally consider themselves 'Elite' and now they have a study to point to as well. Total bol**cks! :thumbdown:

Also met people who haven't much to their name who display wonderful levels of class... really classy people - who I prefer to be with any time of the day. They are the real elite and 'salt of the earth'.

I wonder now that the money has been spent - what next with this work. Filed away or will they do something with it??

Jon

Fredbargate Apr 3rd 2013 6:01 pm

Well I have just had three attempts at the test

Twice Elite and once Technical Middle Class.

If I input only the first page i.e the financial bit I am elite, Once I start putting in my Social and Cultural activities I slip down the classes, :thumbsup:

But non of it explains the calluses on my hands or the grease under my finger nails, conditions I was born with:p

The Beast Apr 3rd 2013 10:32 pm

I personally.....Am in a different class than you lot! ;)

Pocaloca Apr 4th 2013 3:03 am

I've just read the full research article in the Sociology journal and it makes a lot more sense now. If you are interested you can find it here:

http://soc.sagepub.com/content/early....full.pdf+html

Domino Apr 4th 2013 6:23 pm

if you have to ask what class you are in then you don't have any

:rofl:

Pocaloca Apr 4th 2013 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10641417)
if you have to ask what class you are in then you don't have any

:rofl:

That's the trouble, the word has too many meanings. For some it's about people's manners and behaviour, for others it's about taste, or where they live or the job they do. For sociologists it's about people's socio-economic status. We all have to fit in somewhere, otherwise their theories don't work and they are out of a job!

The research was interesting because it's clear the old definitions of working class, middle class and ruling class don't apply any more. They were devised in the 19th century when you were born into a class and had virtually no chance of moving out of it. However I don't think trying to conflate your musical tastes with how much money you've got in savings is going to give us a meaningful answer. They are comparing apples and oranges.

The Beast Apr 4th 2013 10:36 pm

All I know.....Is that I am a different class than you lot!!! :thumbup: