Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

US dentist wants to move to Southern Spain!

US dentist wants to move to Southern Spain!

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: US dentist wants to move to Southern Spain!

Originally Posted by Rotor
I would have thought a routine job such as ordering drugs etc would also be a problem
You could employ a Spanish receptionist/secretary/right-hand-woman(!) to get over that hurdle.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Only if they want to work for the state. Not for private.
yes - I couldn't see why they'd need to to be able to work privately

there is still the question of the degree being homologated - but that's not insurmountable
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Only if they want to work for the state. Not for private.
Agreed
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I`m being realistic ,Spain`s economy is in dire straights
In the second quarter of this year, Spain's exports rose by a greater percentage than that of the UK.
Big companies like Iberia and El Corte are now turning things around again; meanwhile the old financial giant Santander continues to expand and make billions of profit each year
Tourist numbers are up by over 4.5% in July (and even the number of Brit visits rose by 1%).
So there are positive signs already. Besides which, even in a recession a certain number of people are better off (no doubt due to low interest rates). You only have to look around to see people driving expensive cars, taking overseas holidays etc.
If you're going to be targetting the British expat market (and I don't see much alternative if you don't have fluent Spanish) then you should have a good shot, so long as you get your marketing right. Already a lot of Brits travel to cheaper countries like Poland and the Czech Republic, because dentistry is so expensive in the UK. Even paying for accommodation it's cheaper to do this. So, if you can target those people who can get cheap or free accommodation in Spain (either they or friends or family already own a villa there) you may have a good market.
Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

You could employ a Spanish receptionist/secretary/right-hand-woman(!) to get over that hurdle.
At around 20k pa with SS and everything else

My dentist dose it all himself ,hence th 40 euro fillings
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
In the second quarter of this year, Spain's exports rose by a greater percentage than that of the UK.
Big companies like Iberia and El Corte are now turning things around again; meanwhile the old financial giant Santander continues to expand and make billions of profit each year
Tourist numbers are up by over 4.5% in July (and even the number of Brit visits rose by 1%).
So there are positive signs already. Besides which, even in a recession a certain number of people are better off (no doubt due to low interest rates). You only have to look around to see people driving expensive cars, taking overseas holidays etc.
If you're going to be targetting the British expat market (and I don't see much alternative if you don't have fluent Spanish) then you should have a good shot, so long as you get your marketing right. Already a lot of Brits travel to cheaper countries like Poland and the Czech Republic, because dentistry is so expensive in the UK. Even paying for accommodation it's cheaper to do this. So, if you can target those people who can get cheap or free accommodation in Spain (either they or friends or family already own a villa there) you may have a good market.
Good luck!
Yes very few indeed on the costas compared to the south of england , have a look in mercadonnas car park then tescos...huge difference.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:58 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes very few indeed on the costas compared to the south of england , have a look in mercadonnas car park then tescos...huge difference.
Well I don't even need to look on the Costas, just listen to all the Spanish folk on holiday here in London!
Not that it matters (as the dentist will not be targetting local Spanish as they aren't fluent) but there are plenty of folk in the cities who are doing ok. Who do you think shop at El Corte Ingles, travel by AVE, subscribe to sports channels or even buy football season tickets (far out of my means) ?
Anyway, if you really think the UK is doing so great (and imo it is better than last year but patchy) then it's good news for the dentist - attract customers to come over on Easyjet.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: US dentist wants to move to Southern Spain!

Originally Posted by Carol&John
In addition, the OP mentions Gibraltar, which isn't Spain...neither is it the UK, but it is British... lolCarol
It is really odd Gibraltarians can vote in Europe as an integral part of England one of the constuancies of the SW. But having read documents that govern both Gibralter and the Sovereign Base Areas of Cyprus they are the nearest thing to te old Colonies that you could get.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Have a look at the Stephene Flanders Blog on the BBC site she is the economics correspondent and her current view of Europe v America and particularly Spain is not at all up beat.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Have a look at the Stephene Flanders Blog on the BBC site she is the economics correspondent and her current view of Europe v America and particularly Spain is not at all up beat.
I'm just hoping all the negative stuff about the UK I keep reading is wrong! So far, the actual figures in the UK haven;'t been bad at all so fingers crossed.
Anyway - read the thread and you'll see it's the expat market the dentist would be targetting, even if you believe that Spain's economy will go down at the same time Germany (Spain's biggest export market) and the UK can go up...
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:21 am
Not Banned (yet)

I'm just hoping all the negative stuff about the UK I keep reading is wrong! So far, the actual figures in the UK haven;'t been bad at all so fingers crossed.
Anyway - read the thread and you'll see it's the expat market the dentist would be targetting, even if you believe that Spain's economy will go down at the same time Germany (Spain's biggest export market) and the UK can go up...
hmm, my mood is not helped by the following news. "Pound tumbles as building slows".

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...lding-slows.do

I thought voting Tory was going to help the pound?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Has she actually said that?

Since GB is not part of the Euro Stephanie does not consider itit to be European for this part of the discussion.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:28 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Has she actually said that?

Since GB is not part of the Euro Stephanie does not consider itit to be European for this part of the discussion.
It's the lack of Spanish which kind of indicates she'll be targetting Brits. But I admit I could be wrong, maybe there's a large untapped market for.. Russians! Best to let her respond I suppose.
Although she did say this

Thanks Rotor, but apparently I do not have to be fluent in Spanish, as that area has a lot of expats etc.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Sep 2nd 2010 at 11:31 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

acgdds1 is just really niceacgdds1 is just really niceacgdds1 is just really niceacgdds1 is just really niceacgdds1 is just really niceacgdds1 is just really niceacgdds1 is just really niceacgdds1 is just really nice

Actually, I was targetting British expats. I know a little Spanish, and amd fluent in Portugese as I have family in Brazil, and was hoping to get some native Spaniards to come to me. I thought if I gained a good reputation for good dentistry, I might be successful. I would, of course start out with comparable pricing for my dentistry. Plus, I would be able to bring a lot to the market as I am and Oral Surgeon and qualified in Orthodontics as well.

Sounds like Spain's economy does not justify moving my whole family and life to, as everyone thinks I will not be able to survive. Too bad.

Thanks for your thoughts. Everyone is so helpful.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by acgdds1
Actually, I was targetting British expats. I know a little Spanish, and amd fluent in Portugese as I have family in Brazil, and was hoping to get some native Spaniards to come to me. I thought if I gained a good reputation for good dentistry, I might be successful. I would, of course start out with comparable pricing for my dentistry. Plus, I would be able to bring a lot to the market as I am and Oral Surgeon and qualified in Orthodontics as well.

Sounds like Spain's economy does not justify moving my whole family and life to, as everyone thinks I will not be able to survive. Too bad.

Thanks for your thoughts. Everyone is so helpful.
If you are so talented linguisticly why not come to us at Ayamonte right on the Portuguese border. You could then address the native Spanish population, the neighbouring Portuguese population, the large number of Brit expats on the Spanish side and even larger no of Dutch expats on the Portuguese side (they all speak English anyway).

If you search back on the Ayamonte thread you will find requests in th past to find a local English speaking dentist.

As to Professional qualifications they are transportable but it is not made easy. My English Architect (RIBA) did it and now is dual qualifide with the royal college in Huelva