British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   URBS COSTA BLANCA WHERE OWNERSHIP OF DOGS NOT ALLOWED? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/urbs-costa-blanca-where-ownership-dogs-not-allowed-893420/)

scot66 Mar 5th 2017 3:46 pm

URBS COSTA BLANCA WHERE OWNERSHIP OF DOGS NOT ALLOWED?

Does anyone know of any areas within 1 hour of Alicante airport where there are no dogs allowed on the urbanisation? I have lived in Spain before, I'm sure all of you who live there don't have to ask why I am asking this question.

bxpuser24710519 Mar 5th 2017 4:01 pm

Re: URBS COSTA BLANCA WHERE OWNERSHIP OF DOGS NOT ALLOWED?

If you have lived in Spain before you will know rules / laws who pays any attention to them. They can't sort themselves out to make 1000's on the piles of poo around so doubt they would enforce any ban on dogs in Urbs. But then again this is Spain always a surprise :-)

missile Mar 5th 2017 9:14 pm

I have never heard of any urbanisations where dogs are not permitted.

scot66 Mar 5th 2017 10:24 pm

I did think it was a long shot but thought I would ask. Now that I am preparing to move to Spain on a permanent basis I am trying to make decisions based on the things I learned from living over there before. I know it may sound petty but the experience of all of the negative things to do with dogs in Spain really got to me and I do worry that I will feel the same when I go back.

missile Mar 5th 2017 11:00 pm

I do know exactly what you mean. Not everyone likes dogs, especially when they bark incessantly.

scot66 Mar 5th 2017 11:12 pm

That's the thing, I do like dogs. I have a small dog but he is pretty old and will probably be gone by the time I buy somewhere. It's some of the owners I don't like. I was disgusted by the way dogs were left all day and night in front gardens to bark at anything and everyone, sometimes tied up. The amount of dog mess, especially in childrens play parks made me so angry. To be honest I couldn't believe how much it affected my enjoyment of Spain. I'm usually pretty easy going and started to feel like a Victor Meldrew!

missile Mar 5th 2017 11:23 pm

I would suggest you were unfortunate. That is not my experience. I find dog owners are no better / worse in Spain vs UK.

spainrico Mar 6th 2017 4:19 pm

The dog poo culture is changing with owners now being more responsible and most town halls having fines for offenders.

Spiv Mar 11th 2017 2:49 am

Our neighbour has four large and loud dogs, if anyone dares to come up our road he and the rest if us know about it. Its the best alarm you can get. Luckily he has a little look over the wall and they are hushed again. A good owner with well trained obediant dogs is a pleasure, we welcome the noise

scot66 Mar 11th 2017 12:01 pm

That's all very well but imagine 4 houses next to you had dogs and everyone of them barks because someone dares to walk on their street. Not everyone who walks on a street is a potential burglar and its ridiculous to be in a situation that you cant go for a pleasant walk in your own neighborhood without dogs barking at you constantly. Dogs should not be kept in front gardens all day to guard a house, noise pollution can ruin peoples lives.

johnnyone Mar 11th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by scot66 (Post 12202363)
That's all very well but imagine 4 houses next to you had dogs and everyone of them barks because someone dares to walk on their street. Not everyone who walks on a street is a potential burglar and its ridiculous to be in a situation that you cant go for a pleasant walk in your own neighborhood without dogs barking at you constantly. Dogs should not be kept in front gardens all day to guard a house, noise pollution can ruin peoples lives.

I agree, the lack of consideration of dog owners in Spain never ceases to amaze me but my judgement is that of a UK citizen and Spain appears to have different standards when it comes to noise pollution generally.

Rosemary Mar 11th 2017 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyone (Post 12202373)
I agree, the lack of consideration of dog owners in Spain never ceases to amaze me but my judgement is that of a UK citizen and Spain appears to have different standards when it comes to noise pollution generally.

I have been told many times that noise is a sign of life so it is generally valued, however my neighbours are very clear that a barking dog is not so acceptable.

Rosemary

scot66 Mar 11th 2017 12:45 pm

I agree, I love the sounds of kids playing etc. I have lived in Suburbia and hated every minute of it, but barking dogs add nothing to the quality of life in a neighborhood. If you want to live in an area where no one can dare walk the streets apart from the property owners then buy in a gated community. I have seen little kids being scared to death by dogs lunging at them as they walked by the owners gates and the owners don't even have the decency to come out and placate the dog. I spent months with little sleep because of a dog being left out as a guard dog all day and night, and howling most of the time. Hopefully, I was unlucky in that particular area.

I am currently agreeing a long term rental so I just pray there aren't too many selfish dog owners around.

Rotor Mar 11th 2017 2:55 pm

I would say live in the campo but you can nearly always hear dogs barking even if you cant see them or their poo.

missile Mar 11th 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by scot66 (Post 12202388)
... I am currently agreeing a long term rental so I just pray there aren't too many selfish dog owners around.

A bit rash, if you have arranged the rental without viewing(?) :blink: