Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

urbinisations advantages-disadvantages ??

urbinisations advantages-disadvantages ??

Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

graymel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default urbinisations advantages-disadvantages ??

On another thread I read that community fees can be expensive,is there anywhere I can compare different urbinisations fees? I guess they are not all the same, also which is considered to be the best urbinisation ?
Given the option would you choose an urbinisation again ? oh I should add the area that interests me is Murcia 20 mile radius of LA zenia

Last edited by graymel; Oct 12th 2014 at 4:06 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: urbinisations advantages-disadvantages ??

I too will be watching this thread with great interest.

Could I also ask if you buy on a golf based urbanisation are you obliged to pay the golf green fees?

I know this probably sounds daft but the reason I ask is although I have no interest whatsoever in golf , many of the best kept- best views- best unchanging surroundings, appear to be golfing urbanisations so I could be attracted to one even though I have no interest in the sport
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would never buy on an urbanisation, rent possibly. I would like to feel I was in control of expenses, who knows what they will be from year to year. On top of that you may have people who fail to pay. No, bit like buying a leasehold flat, so a freehold established house with use of the village pool would be my preference, at least then you know where you stand.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Urbanisation fees depend on the number of flats/houses in the complex, what facilities are provided (communal pool, gym, 24 hour security guard, gardeners, etc), the number of lifts that need to be maintained, whether things like heating is included (more common on older flats), how much maintenance the building requires, etc.

The advantages with an urb include having certain communal facilities provided, but not having to maintain them yourself. Generally they are more secure, and they are great if you have kids - you can let them go out and play with other children on the urb, safe in the knowledge that they are off the streets.

The disadvantages include neighbours who don't pay, or even neighbours who vote for expensive maintenance (like repainting the communal areas every other year), but these risks can be reduced by a bit of research before buying.

If you want a lock-up-and-go type property, or have kids, or aren't too keen on gardening or maintaining your property yourself then an urbanisation is a good option.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 9:45 am
Just Joined

graymel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chopera
Urbanisation fees depend on the number of flats/houses in the complex, what facilities are provided (communal pool, gym, 24 hour security guard, gardeners, etc), the number of lifts that need to be maintained, whether things like heating is included (more common on older flats), how much maintenance the building requires, etc.

The advantages with an urb include having certain communal facilities provided, but not having to maintain them yourself. Generally they are more secure, and they are great if you have kids - you can let them go out and play with other children on the urb, safe in the knowledge that they are off the streets.

The disadvantages include neighbours who don't pay, or even neighbours who vote for expensive maintenance (like repainting the communal areas every other year), but these risks can be reduced by a bit of research before buying.

If you want a lock-up-and-go type property, or have kids, or aren't too keen on gardening or maintaining your property yourself then an urbanisation is a good option.
Chopera and casa del Sol thanks for the info,so how do community fees work elsewhere ie village to village or area/area is it calculated on property size is 2,3,4 bed etc.
It would seem community fees are less outside of an urbinisation ? When viewing Spanish property sales these fees are not shown, so do I ask for these fees on every property that I may be interested in ? Help please,
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graymel
Chopera and casa del Sol thanks for the info,so how do community fees work elsewhere ie village to village or area/area is it calculated on property size is 2,3,4 bed etc.
It would seem community fees are less outside of an urbinisation ? When viewing Spanish property sales these fees are not shown, so do I ask for these fees on every property that I may be interested in ? Help please,
Yes, as well as the factors I mentioned above, they also depend on property size (a 4 bed flat will pay more than a 1 bed flat). And they can vary from year to year (in my urb we recently had the roof changed so we'll be paying extra for that for a few years.) so yes you need to ask the vendor what they are for the property you are interested in. Sometimes the fees are included in property adverts, but usually there are left out.

Fees should be less outside an urbanisation because there is less to maintain. In Madrid I have viewed flats outside urbs without lifts that have had community fees as low as 15€/month, and I have viewed flats in expensive urbanisations with large gardens and pools that charge over €300/month. We pay €150/month but that includes heating and hot water.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:33 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Not all properties on an urbanisation have community fees, e.g. in Cuidad Quesada most properties do not. Only those which share communal property share in the cost of maintenance for same.

Those with communal lifts, gardens and pools will be more expensive to maintain than those without. Fees vary and are under the direct control of the community, it is they who decide what maintenance needs to be done. If one has a 4 bed house/flat, it does not necessarily mean you will pay more than someone with a 1 bed house/flat. Usually, costs are apportioned equally between all residents in the community.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:38 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dondurma
..Could I also ask if you buy on a golf based urbanisation are you obliged to pay the golf green fees?
You would not be liable for golf green fees, but properties with a view over the course (usually called front line) will command a higher price.

Another advantage you may not have thought of is;
Most club houses offer good quality meals etc and most are open to non members.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:47 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by casa del sol
On top of that you may have people who fail to pay. No, bit like buying a leasehold flat, so a freehold established house with use of the village pool would be my preference, at least then you know where you stand.
In Spain one is liable for community costs and it is much easier to make people pay up for community fees. If you don't pay the community President can have your home possessed and sold if you fail to pay.

I don't know of any "freehold" property which has free "use of a village pool".
Old Oct 13th 2014, 11:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graymel
There are NO community fees outside urbanisations, the community fee is just that, a fee charged to every member of the urbanisation. In villages you jus pay the local taxes, which you usually do on an urbanisation, but you would not get use of a pool, unless it is a commercial one you are charged by the visit for, you would have to wait for the local council to tidy verges, cut grass, repair roads and paths, whereas in an urbanisation thsse would be paid for by the community fees, and usually done in a timely manner. Fees on the urbaanisation where we lived were some €360 a year, and covered maintenance of the pool and it's surrounds, cleaning of the roads and pavements, and sorting out of any utility problems that were out side your property bounds, oce we had sold the house and moved into rental properties we did look at the communtiy charges, although we were not paying them, and these varied, and sone were as much as €1000+ a year. You do get people not paying, and in one place there were people owing several thousand Euros, however, as has been said the committee do have the legal powers to order the house/apartment to be sold to recover the debt.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any "freehold" property which has free "use of a village pool".[/QUOTE]

Here in Albuñol there is a thermal pool, well thermal year round temperature of 19dg, that is free to anyone, the youngsters love it and swim and cool off all summer, anyone else can do a bbq there and use the pool if they wish. But am sure they are few and far between
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
etc.etc If one has a 4 bed house/flat, it does not necessarily mean you will pay more than someone with a 1 bed house/flat. Usually, costs are apportioned equally between all residents in the community.
This is not true in Madrid at least, community fees do depend on the space you have (i.e 2 bed is cheaper than 3 or 4 bed) and whether you have other positive things like roof top terraces for Attico's etc.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:37 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by mfh
This is not true in Madrid at least, community fees do depend on the space you have (i.e 2 bed is cheaper than 3 or 4 bed) and whether you have other positive things like roof top terraces for Attico's etc.
Like I said "not necessarily". As you are aware each community sets it's own fees and decides how those costs should be apportioned. Much the same as in the UK, each household can pay an equal share or it can be pro-rata depending on of bedrooms or floor area etc. In some apartment blocks those living on the ground floor are exempt from cost of maintaining the lift and communal stairwell.

In La Zenia urbanisation, where OP is considering purchasing, the norm is for each household to pay an equal share for communal facilities.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:45 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are NO community fees outside urbanisations, .....
Not entirely true.

In towns and villages; those who live in apartment blocks and / or have access to communal facilities such as a private garden or pool will have a community and will be responsible for their share of the fees.

Those living in an urbanisation, who have no communal property are not liable for any community fees.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:57 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are NO community fees outside urbanisations, the community fee is just that, a fee charged to every member of the urbanisation.
If that is true, then you need to carefully define "urbanisation".

What happens in a block of flats (might only be two flats) where there is communal space - for example the stair well or front door. Who pays for the lighting in the stair well and who pays for maintaining the roof, facade, front door etc.? Normally this is all covered in the community fees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.