Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The ups and down of relocating

The ups and down of relocating

Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute
Default The ups and down of relocating

Having just been through one of the most depressed states I have ever been in this week, I was wondering if it is something that anyone who is going through the trials and tribulations of relocating has to endure?

The initial problem of trying to sell the property you own, added to all the organising of finances, making preparations for the move as and when it will come, all seemed to get on top of me this week.

I am usually such a positive person, full of enthusiasm and a bubbly character normally, it came as quite a shock to get so down so quickly, withut any prior warning it was coming!

How about all you lucky lot who are already over there, relaxing in that wonderful sunshine (we over here have forgotten what it looks like!)...did any of you go through depression bordering almost on despair at any stage?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:46 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ups and down of relocating

Originally Posted by Cornish maid
Having just been through one of the most depressed states I have ever been in this week, I was wondering if it is something that anyone who is going through the trials and tribulations of relocating has to endure?

The initial problem of trying to sell the property you own, added to all the organising of finances, making preparations for the move as and when it will come, all seemed to get on top of me this week.

I am usually such a positive person, full of enthusiasm and a bubbly character normally, it came as quite a shock to get so down so quickly, withut any prior warning it was coming!

How about all you lucky lot who are already over there, relaxing in that wonderful sunshine (we over here have forgotten what it looks like!)...did any of you go through depression bordering almost on despair at any stage?
I think I was far too excited to even consider being depressed! There are a lot of arrangements to be made, but we did them over the course of about 10 months little by little and everything was fine. During the last three months before our move we had absolutely nothing left do organise and were just bored!

Are you rushing yourself? Is that why you are stressed? If not, chill out and just do one thing at a time.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters

Are you rushing yourself? Is that why you are stressed? If not, chill out and just do one thing at a time.
Now that is a question!!! I think, like most people , once you have made the decision about going, and have done the research, all you really want to do is GET GOING!

I suppose that if I am honest, I am being impatient, but OMG do I want to get this move over and done with!

At least I have managed to get myself back on track as far as my mood is concerned..back to being the good old Crazy CornishMaid!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornish maid

I think everyone goes through that stage.. thinking the house won't sell, thinking what might go wrong, and then as it gets closer you get the feelings about leaving 'home' and are you really doing the right thing. Just chill, do soemthing to lose the stress levels. There will always be things that lurk at the back of your mind, you just have to realise that it's your decision, you made it for the right reasons, and nothing, and no-one should divert you from that course. We were fortunate, all relatives were of the opinion, if that's what you want to do, then go ahead. In fact one of my wife's brothers has now decided that he and his wife should move out here. I't not long before you think of Spain as home, and going back to the UK is just a holiday.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:23 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
I think I was far too excited to even consider being depressed! There are a lot of arrangements to be made, but we did them over the course of about 10 months little by little and everything was fine. During the last three months before our move we had absolutely nothing left do organise and were just bored!

That's what we are doing and you told me off the other day for it!!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
That's what we are doing and you told me off the other day for it!!

Relocating is a complete arse! Totally sympathise with you.

However, had one of those moments last night watching a programme, i think its called an 'epiphany', maybe it will only last a few days, because how easily we forget.

It was a repeat of the 'The Boy whose skin fell off' with Johnny Kennedy. Unbelievably brave bloke. We all winge and we moan ( I am the first in the queue believe me)!

But I am totally lost for words about how our grumbles and gripes are so trivial compare to others.

So chin up and smile... Just for a short while!

No worries, cos I am bound to be moaning by Monday,

Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to get yourself in the right mindset CM, I remember the run up to our move well and it wasn't plain sailing

All you can do it make the best plans you can to sell the house. We registered with one agent, and then put it on the internet also. After that, changing estate agents is the only positive thing you can do if you think the agents not performing. Also we dropped our price by 10k. This immediately bought in a new "layer" of buyers. We sold within a few weeks after that.

As for the preparations, just do all you can as soon as you can, don't leave things till the last moment. We had the double whammy as we had to move out of our house a month before we could move over here, so we stored in a friends garages.

Just try to think positively ... I know thats easy for me to say, but if you let everything worry you, it will spoil the whole experience. Believe it or not, whilst we were going through this I went for accupuncture. If nothing else it was really relaxing and I'm sure it helped.

Its a big decision and a big move for you, but when you actually get here you'll probably sit back and ask yourself what you were worried about!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

These are all really very reassuring posts! Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

I've been feeling like you today. I've got so much to do and so little time. Unfortunately we didn't get much choice but to leave some things to the last minute. I can't wait to get it all done and then I can start to get excited again. It's the surprise problems that can get you down - one of our pipes from the sink started leaking a few days ago so we've been ringing around trying to get a plumber out before we leave. Last thing we needed when we are in the middle of packing up.
One good thing is that we managed to sell everything we wanted to get rid off very quickly.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:46 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through all the emotions CM and totally sympathise with how you are feeling. You are making a huge decision in your life and of course you will be full of mixed feelings and have to keep reminding yourself why you have made this decision to move to Spain. We have been here almost 3 months now and the time has just flown by. Chin up and think positive
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:12 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
I've been through all the emotions CM and totally sympathise with how you are feeling. You are making a huge decision in your life and of course you will be full of mixed feelings and have to keep reminding yourself why you have made this decision to move to Spain. We have been here almost 3 months now and the time has just flown by. Chin up and think positive
3 months already jeeeez dont the time fly

Are you settled in now Lionda ? does it feel homely yet ? you should do a seperate thread on your thoughts feelings experiences etc, be good reading for new expats on the journey .
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:52 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
3 months already jeeeez dont the time fly

Are you settled in now Lionda ? does it feel homely yet ? you should do a seperate thread on your thoughts feelings experiences etc, be good reading for new expats on the journey .
It will be 3 months in a couple of weeks, it has gone by very quickly. There has been so much to do so we are only just now beginning to settle and decided what to do with our lives here.