Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unregistered house extensions/alterations

Unregistered house extensions/alterations

Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:07 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unregistered house extensions/alterations

Would you be happy to have a utility contract in the UK in someone else's name? It is so much easier when you do not cut corners. If my house needed a new consumer unit, uprated fuse, rewire, etc I would want it done.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:32 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, in some ways, the Spanish system makes sense. It acknowledges that people move around, get married (and divorced), die, but the house is left standing.

So, if there is a debt or a doubt, they address their query to the house itself, whoever lives in it.

Or, the funcionarios are too lazy to change those complicated forms.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Even though I could have kept the bills in my husbands name I have made sure that they are all changed because I do not want to have any problems regarding the right to change anything as time goes on.

Rosemary
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Would you be happy to have a utility contract in the UK in someone else's name? It is so much easier when you do not cut corners. If my house needed a new consumer unit, uprated fuse, rewire, etc I would want it done.
Agreed - I did get mine done, albeit not until a few years after the purchase, when we were living here full time. There was also a slight "issue" with the address they had on the contract, which was different from the house address on everything else including the escritura (the front door of my house is actually on a different street from the "official" house address) and I wanted that straightened out as well. I know some neighbours had a house sale fall through because of delays caused whilst they tried to get some discrepancy regarding the address sorted out, so wanted to make sure everything was hunky dory for when we come to want to sell in the future.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Being an old house some of which is over sixty years old, we get utility bills addressed three different ways and with two different postcodes.....

But what the heck, life is just too short to even consider spending the time changing it all to the one in actual use.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 6:26 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Being an old house some of which is over sixty years old, we get utility bills addressed three different ways and with two different postcodes.....

But what the heck, life is just too short to even consider spending the time changing it all to the one in actual use.
That's just life here. You won't go to jail for it, so why bother? In Germany, the police would be at your door in a month or two for not correcting your postcode.

Sixty years old is considered rather new over here. Parts of our house are 360 years old. Surely that has a lot to do with the neighbourhood, though.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet

Like I said, some neighbours had a house sale fall through because of delays in getting some kind of discrepancy with the address of their house sorted out. It got straightened out eventually but the buyers got fed up after a couple of months and went elsewhere - stuff like that tends to happen in a buyers' market. I don't want to sell at present but in a few years I will, so took the opportunity to get this resolved at the same time as changing the electricity contract into my name. We had to have the meter box etc. changed anyway in order to get an ICP fitted, which was the prime motivator in the whole thing.

We had the work done, got the boletin, and I paid one visit to the local Endesa office to obtain the new contract and had the address changed in the process - no big deal in terms of time.

Last edited by Lynn R; Jul 17th 2013 at 8:10 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:11 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Like I said, some neighbours had a house sale fall through because of delays in getting some kind of discrepancy with the address of their house sorted out. It got straightened out eventually but the buyers got fed up after a couple of months and went elsewhere - stuff like that tends to happen in a buyers' market. I don't want to sell at present but in a few years I will, so took the opportunity to get this resolved at the same time as changing the electricity contract into my name. We had to have the meter box etc. changed anyway in order to get an ICP fitted, which was the prime motivator in the whole thing.

We had the work done, got the boletin, and I paid one visit to the local Endesa office to obtain the new contract and had the address changed in the process - no big deal in terms of time.
Lynn, that almost makes you a paragon of virtue

but it can quite easily be when you find you have to sell, illness here or at home, death, or similar and as your neighbours found there were a string of things that needed sorting and they lost their buyer.
which is why I cannot understand this "leave it" attitude.
it is surely peace of mind for expats to ensure all the buttons are buttoned, i's dotted, t's crossed. If the inevitable happens then they will know they haven't left a mess for OH or BH or family back home to sort out, perhaps at a time when the last thing they want (or can afford) is to sort paperwork out.

may I say it is a salutory lesson even to some here, after all we get regular HELP requests from people who have been left a property and a box or two of papers.

in one day of house hunting we visited 5 houses, the only 3 occupied had someone who was ill and was, essentially, going home to die. The other 2 they had already left.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Domino
Lynn, that almost makes you a paragon of virtue

but it can quite easily be when you find you have to sell, illness here or at home, death, or similar and as your neighbours found there were a string of things that needed sorting and they lost their buyer.
which is why I cannot understand this "leave it" attitude.
it is surely peace of mind for expats to ensure all the buttons are buttoned, i's dotted, t's crossed. If the inevitable happens then they will know they haven't left a mess for OH or BH or family back home to sort out, perhaps at a time when the last thing they want (or can afford) is to sort paperwork out.

may I say it is a salutory lesson even to some here, after all we get regular HELP requests from people who have been left a property and a box or two of papers.

in one day of house hunting we visited 5 houses, the only 3 occupied had someone who was ill and was, essentially, going home to die. The other 2 they had already left.
Absolutely. In the present climate, buyers are a lot more picky than they used to be and of course they will all have read the same horror stories we have about illegal properties and so on, so IMO it is worth eliminating any potential obstacles to a sale you may be aware of, well in advance. My neighbours, poor souls, are still waiting for another buyer two years later.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 4:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. In the present climate, buyers are a lot more picky than they used to be and of course they will all have read the same horror stories we have about illegal properties and so on, so IMO it is worth eliminating any potential obstacles to a sale you may be aware of, well in advance. My neighbours, poor souls, are still waiting for another buyer two years later.
funny how you get told so often that the vendor is looking for a quick sale hence the price drop

both the BH and I would snap up the house we refused last month if the paperwork was fine, but it isn't. we had even started to source things specially for that house and to get costings for the painting and small alterations we wanted to make.
another we found problems on the paperwork before passing to solicitor, the EA said not a problem, but when he asked his "legal advisor" she confirmed the problem and said the vendor should get it sorted - still waiting 3months later.

problem is, I would imagine we have been branded as "time wasters" when all we are looking for is a simple easy sale. but we will not buy our last house without it being legal and all paperwork correct and in place
as I have said elsewhere most buyers from Northern Europe will expect to have the paperwork in order and in place so why when they are in Spain it all goes out of the window.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

There is in fact no discrepancy with our address as we sorted everything out when we bought.
As we live in the campo many roads here don't even have a name, the one we live on used to be just a track at one time but now goes under three different names depending on where you look for the address.
Fortunately for us it doesn't matter what the address is on the post as the lovely post lady we have knows the entire community by name... so everyone gets their mail no matter what's on the envelope!