Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unpaid Court Fine in Spain

Unpaid Court Fine in Spain

Old Jan 5th 2018, 6:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unpaid Court Fine in Spain

Originally Posted by Jason555
That's pretty much the way it is.

I knew from before with the footballers done for tax fraud that they gort prison sentences but they didn't actually have to serve them as first timers so was wondering if that would apply to me.

I have been in touch with the Courts in Majorca and the Embassy but have to wait to hear back and then I can decide what to do.

I've got good advice on here so will say what happened.

I was 19 when it happened and was in the Army so didnt tell anyone as I would have been in trouble with the Army as well. I got into a fight and got done for assault and causing damage to the place.

I was stupid and drunk doing what I did but it probably happens a good bit on holidays. I was in a cell for a while with a lad who had being arrested for the same thing the same night.

I'm 22 now and finished my 4 years in the Army just before Christmas and am looking for work now. I was thinking with the way things are now and my sister's wedding coming up going back over in a few weeks and getting it sorted out and then not having to worry about it again. I know I would be arrested and maybe in jail for a few days before going back to court but if that was the end of it I would have it over with -instead of having to pay a shitload of money that I don't have or worrying about it going over for the wedding. I know it might not sound right but if that's the system then why not? I would have to tell my family I know but that's OK now because it was a good while ago.

But like I said I took the advice and contacted the places so am just waiting to hear back after the E Mails I sent.
Good lad for sorting it out. You know it makes sense

There's one more avenue that I don't think has been suggested - any chance you could tell your family, get a loan from one or some of them, pay the fine now, and pay your family back in instalments? If they're able to club together for the money, I'm sure they'd rather do that than see you hauled off to prison, even for a few days, or miss your sister's wedding.

Anyway, best of luck and good on you for facing it head on - it's the only way to get the monkey off your back.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Well done with making the decision to face up to what occurred and dealing with it sensibly. You need to be aware that there is a possibility that gaining an answer to your messages may be delayed because today and tomorrow are more important in Spain than Christmas as it is the Three Kings celebration. So expect a delay.

Rosemary
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:47 am
Just Joined

BathgateQOS is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask about how Spanish courts notify people about proceedings? My wife was involved in an altercation with some teenagers outside the family's holiday home near Fuengirola. She was knocked about and had two black eyes and bruising. Called local police who attended and advised us to report it to the Guardia Civil which we did the next day. By the time we did that, the teen and parent had already been and alleged my wife had assaulted them! They took a statement,and i think she was charged, although I was not allowed in and our Spanish is not fluent. we flew back two days later and we have not heard anything since then, June 17. my wife is petrified about going back and being arrested etc. How do we find out what is happening?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BathgateQOS
Can I ask about how Spanish courts notify people about proceedings? My wife was involved in an altercation with some teenagers outside the family's holiday home near Fuengirola. She was knocked about and had two black eyes and bruising. Called local police who attended and advised us to report it to the Guardia Civil which we did the next day. By the time we did that, the teen and parent had already been and alleged my wife had assaulted them! They took a statement,and i think she was charged, although I was not allowed in and our Spanish is not fluent. we flew back two days later and we have not heard anything since then, June 17. my wife is petrified about going back and being arrested etc. How do we find out what is happening?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BathgateQOS
The normal method is to send a letter to your registered address in Spain. Beyond that no idea how they go about notifying non-residents. Also, as a BTW, your wife should have received a copy of the statement she made at the time she made it.
No problem about going back , in fact worth your while going to the police station where she made the statement and asking for update but take with you someone who speaks Spanish.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

The chances are they`ll pick you up at the airport , especially if you are using the same passport you had when you were nicked , if you get a new passport they come with different numbers , of course you could change your name by deed poll
Alternatively drive in from France in a Spanish car , its extremely rare they check passports then.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Jason555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I'd post an update after getting advice on here.

I went with the plan I had and got the cheap flights and went over after I'd made contact. I got arrested at the airport and it took 6 days to get everything sorted and ended up with a 3 month suspended sentence instead of the fine.

Might seem a bit mad but am happy to be back and have it sorted. I will be able to get to the wedding now and not have to worry about being arretsed.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I went with the plan I had and got the cheap flights and went over after I'd made contact. I got arrested at the airport and it took 6 days to get everything sorted and ended up with a 3 month suspended sentence instead of the fine.

Might seem a bit mad but am happy to be back and have it sorted. I will be able to get to the wedding now and not have to worry about being arretsed.

Thanks for the advice.
Crikey , if you want some more advice it would be stay sober next time you visit
Old Feb 9th 2018, 7:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice.
Doesn't seem mad at all to me, getting that monkey off your back would be a great feeling. Well done, and enjoy your sister's wedding
Old Feb 9th 2018, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice.
You showed real courage and well done problem solved. Stay sober at the wedding or get a chaperone and good luck. I would not tangle with the GC they scare the begebas out of me.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 8:46 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Thank you for the update and well done for facing up to what had happened. Enjoy the wedding, I am sure that the family will be glad that you are there with them.

Rosemary
Old Feb 9th 2018, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Yeah believe me I am going to be on my best behaviour when I am over there for the wedding. 6 days un police cells/prison was enough for me.

Agree the GC don't take any crap. Being in prison was easier than being in the police cells. Met a few Brits and other foreigners there there so had people to talk to and they looked out for me. One was another ex Army lad and I got on real well with him.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah believe me I am going to be on my best behaviour when I am over there for the wedding. 6 days un police cells/prison was enough for me.

Agree the GC don't take any crap. Being in prison was easier than being in the police cells. Met a few Brits and other foreigners there there so had people to talk to and they looked out for me. One was another ex Army lad and I got on real well with him.
Respect,well done.....now behave!!!!
Seriously, good on you.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Respect,well done.....now behave!!!!
Seriously, good on you.
Plus one.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Got to my sister's wedding last weekend and had a good time. Got pulled out at the airport , told that I had an outstanding warrant and it took a few hours to get it sorted out but was all OK in the end. Wedding was great and had no more dealings with the police there. So all worked out OK in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.