Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unpaid Court Fine in Spain

Unpaid Court Fine in Spain

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unpaid Court Fine in Spain

Well, there you have it, straight from the Donkeys mouth. No problem, just the inconvenience of getting nicked at the airport.Great fun, enjoy.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Well, there you have it, straight from the Donkeys mouth. No problem, just the inconvenience of getting nicked at the airport.Great fun, enjoy.

I've learned something today. EVERY Spaniard quite openly commits crime, and no one minds if you commit crime (even the victims!), because it's all part of the fun of living in Spain.

I've never read such a load of bollocks.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
Goos luck and don't apologise for your"crime". It's all part of the fun of living in Spain. No one bats an eyelid.
It seems to me that the fact that the OP by the simple fact they have hidden from their family that they committed a crime and were fined, shows that unlike yourself they don't wish to use this as a badge of honour? What you outline is basically a suspended sentence. To comply with a suspended sentence would I would think require you to be at least a resident of the country imposing the sentence? It is designed as a way of reducing stress on prisons and form of leniency generally for first offenders. We don't know the offence committed so I can't see how anyone should say don't apologise etc. However substantial fine imposed and the court seem to have shown leniency and suitable way of dealing with this by fining rather than other options no doubt to simplify for all given OP was an holiday maker rather than resident. The OP has failed to accept this by simply going home and ignoring the fine. So if arrested at airport , wedding or hotel etc why should the police/courts give them a second chance to simply stick two fingers up at the justice system and abscond back to UK ? My guess is at best the OP would be imprisoned untill at least fine + additional penalty was paid in full, maybe wedding guest like yourself may be impressed with commiting criminal offences and have a whip round? If I was op I would ignore your advice and sort the matter out.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 3rd 2018 at 9:48 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Jason555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by avocados
lol, gave me a chuckle this morning.

No, prison is not likely. The spanish system is rubbish. You can almost kill someone and get off without prison. It works like this.........

Provided u haven't committed a crime previously, jail sentences up to to 2 years in length don't require a stay in prison. All u have to do, is fill in a form and request it.

The severity of crime committed to a get up to 2 years is very expansive and accommodating. It's the reason that EVERY spaniard quite openly commits crime!!

If u didn't pay the fine, they should have gone back to court to get some sort of enforcement order. It all depends on how serious it was. After that, a possible warrant for arrest. So it's down to the inconvenience of being arrested at the airport.

Check the BOE for your name and the Boletin for your autonomous region and finally your province. All available online. Your name might appear there.

Goos luck and don't apologise for your"crime". It's all part of the fun of living in Spain. No one bats an eyelid.
What's the BOE? How can I check that?
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Jason555

The vast majority of members are giving you the good advice that you came on here to receive so please take note of this and be cautious of those giving the opposite opinion.

Rosemary
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jason555
Google is your friend (enter "Abbreviation BOE", otherwise you'll come across a town in France).
I wouldn't have thought a "criminal's" name would be available for public view on this official state bulletin, let alone your particular case discussed and legislated on by the regional powers-that-be, but you can always look.
Whatever, if you don't want to ruin your sister's wedding and subsequent relations with your whole family, either confess all and pay the fine ASAP, or keep it to yourself and find a valid reason for not going to the wedding.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

You are now just thrashing about. Whats your GUT feeling? Whats the RIGHT thing to do? Face it man!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

I've learned something today. EVERY Spaniard quite openly commits crime, and no one minds if you commit crime (even the victims!), because it's all part of the fun of living in Spain.

I've never read such a load of bollocks.
Spot on 😃

Last edited by bobd22; Jan 3rd 2018 at 11:08 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lurchio
You are now just thrashing about. Whats your GUT feeling? Whats the RIGHT thing to do? Face it man!
My guess is the OP has no intention of paying for the crime simply wants to evade the penalty for their actions. Suitable advice has been given re sorting and resolving the issue. If the op chooses to ignore that and follow ridiculous comments then that is their choice. Only advice I will offer is for them to keep their fingers clear of the big steel door as it slams shut!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

They are an agency that document/publish Spanish laws (ish).

https://www.boe.es/
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

The op has stated that he couldn't pay the fine back in 2015 and can't afford it now and is looking for a job. That's why he is thinking about serving a prison sentence instead. Can't see that happening without his family knowing. Perhaps if we knew the crime we wouldn't want to help him. We also know nothing about his age or his family and their likely reaction to hearing about his crime and failure to pay a fine of 2,000 euros. Must have been pretty serious. Direct honesty to his sister may be the best way forward without telling the rest of his family and doing what is best for his sister. As soon as possible.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ned flanders
The op has stated that he couldn't pay the fine back in 2015 and can't afford it now and is looking for a job. That's why he is thinking about serving a prison sentence instead. Can't see that happening without his family knowing. Perhaps if we knew the crime we wouldn't want to help him. We also know nothing about his age or his family and their likely reaction to hearing about his crime and failure to pay a fine of 2,000 euros. Must have been pretty serious. Direct honesty to his sister may be the best way forward without telling the rest of his family and doing what is best for his sister. As soon as possible.
There may have been possibility to pay in installments initially? Like most of these things ignoring them may seem like you are getting away with it until it comes back to bite you. I do agree though our knowledge of circumstances is very vague. To be honest Missiles earlier comment sums the whole thing up.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
My guess is the OP has no intention of paying for the crime simply wants to evade the penalty for their actions. Suitable advice has been given re sorting and resolving the issue. If the op chooses to ignore that and follow ridiculous comments then that is their choice. Only advice I will offer is for them to keep their fingers clear of the big steel door as it slams shut!
..and don't drop the soap in the shower
Old Jan 5th 2018, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Jason555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ned flanders
That's pretty much the way it is.

I knew from before with the footballers done for tax fraud that they gort prison sentences but they didn't actually have to serve them as first timers so was wondering if that would apply to me.

I have been in touch with the Courts in Majorca and the Embassy but have to wait to hear back and then I can decide what to do.

I've got good advice on here so will say what happened.

I was 19 when it happened and was in the Army so didnt tell anyone as I would have been in trouble with the Army as well. I got into a fight and got done for assault and causing damage to the place.

I was stupid and drunk doing what I did but it probably happens a good bit on holidays. I was in a cell for a while with a lad who had being arrested for the same thing the same night.

I'm 22 now and finished my 4 years in the Army just before Christmas and am looking for work now. I was thinking with the way things are now and my sister's wedding coming up going back over in a few weeks and getting it sorted out and then not having to worry about it again. I know I would be arrested and maybe in jail for a few days before going back to court but if that was the end of it I would have it over with -instead of having to pay a shitload of money that I don't have or worrying about it going over for the wedding. I know it might not sound right but if that's the system then why not? I would have to tell my family I know but that's OK now because it was a good while ago.

But like I said I took the advice and contacted the places so am just waiting to hear back after the E Mails I sent.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Whatever happens, at least you didn't get the 'double jeopardy' treatment by the Army. Hope something works out, at least your heads not in the sand here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.