British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Unexpected additional residency requirements (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/unexpected-additional-residency-requirements-913863/)

Smithy73 Jun 13th 2018 11:02 pm

Re: Unexpected additional residency requirements

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12515508)
That's why I asked as 15000 Euros is a very high amount given that in area I am it is just under 5000 for an individual.

Yes, I wondered if it was due to renting... but don't know

neilg1 Jun 14th 2018 4:51 pm

Hey guys,

I am in same boat. UK Citizen and my wife is from NZ so non EU/EEA - we are looking at residency in Spain.

We have rented an apartment through AirBnB for 3 months from mid September in Malaga while we look at sorting out a permanent move. I am an IT contractor with clients in UK & NZ. Will commute to UK for projects a few days a week. Chose the place we have as near train to airport, high English speaking population while my wife learns the language and cheap flights to UK for my work.

I am considering applying as autonomo but really whatever is going to be quickest and easiest for us... I have a reasonable amount of money I can show so am thinking of heading to Spain to set up a bank account in August and paying money in from my UK account for the three months, then applying for Residency in Nov.

Any ideas on how much we should show? over the three months i could probably put max 30,000 euros or so in the account. Wondering if it would be better to have a bigger opening balance or bigger month "Salary" payments which would just be me paying myself from my UK account to my Spanish account?

We are in our 30s so nowhere near retirement age. Anyone with experience of this in Malaga area?

IanWorthington Jun 15th 2018 10:54 am

A: This is in Valencia.
A: I am British.

Went and gave the whole job to a lawyer yesterday. eur 300 seemed a but expensive for what's a straightforward job, and one I managed to do easily enough myself just 10 years ago, but c'est la vie.

She says the medical insurance w/o copagos IS correct, but the requirement to have a Spanish bank a/c is NOT. She's going to go and poke them with a stick in a few weeks and we'll see what happens

IanWorthington Jun 15th 2018 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Smithy73 (Post 12515487)
He states on a different post that he is British... but 15000 Euros is a new one on me.

Ian, is this because you are of working age or rent etc?

I have friends, who will be going through this process in September, so further details would be useful as they will be renting and not purchasing.

15,000 was a surprise to my lawyer as well, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Pilou Jun 16th 2018 10:11 am

We had the same problem. Emigrated to the Valencia region before our retirement age. The problem was to find a good private insurance. But we hate private health insurance companies. Our solution: become 'autonomo'. We took aGestor and he did this for us in a split-second! We got immediately an SMS that we were both insured. My husband became 'autonomo'. The first 2 years you only pay a small amount for social security.
We did not plan to work as 'autonomo' but my husband started to translate. We became resident. After 1 year he stopped and we had the state health insurance for free, because all residents have the right to be insured. All good.
The thing is that you cannot become autonomo just on paper. You need to try to implement this.

IanWorthington Jun 16th 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Pilou (Post 12516967)
We had the same problem. Emigrated to the Valencia region before our retirement age. The problem was to find a good private insurance. But we hate private health insurance companies. Our solution: become 'autonomo'. We took aGestor and he did this for us in a split-second! We got immediately an SMS that we were both insured. My husband became 'autonomo'. The first 2 years you only pay a small amount for social security.
We did not plan to work as 'autonomo' but my husband started to translate. We became resident. After 1 year he stopped and we had the state health insurance for free, because all residents have the right to be insured. All good.
The thing is that you cannot become autonomo just on paper. You need to try to implement this.

Interesting idea. Where you paying something like eur50/mo? Didn't you also have to pay an accountant each quarter to file returns?

What though do you mean by:

Pilou Jun 16th 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by IanWorthington (Post 12516971)
Interesting idea. Where you paying something like eur50/mo? Didn't you also have to pay an accountant each quarter to file returns?

The first 6 months it was 50 eur (total soc secut incl old age pension); every 6 months the fee goes up and after 2 years you pay the full amount approx 300-325 eur per month.
We had a gestor and he filed a tax return every 3 month. The cost for doing this for us was only 50 EUR incl filing a VAT return. The first 3 month the income was only 20 eur / month because you start your business. For us it was an ideal solution.
So you need a gestor and not an accountant.

IanWorthington Jun 16th 2018 11:20 am

Thanks for that. I'll look at it. I'm still curious what you mean by:

Originally Posted by Pilou (Post 12516975)
The thing is that you cannot become autonomo just on paper.

Pilou Jun 16th 2018 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by IanWorthington (Post 12516984)
Thanks for that. I'll look at it. I'm still curious what you mean by:

You need to find a business, like selling things or in my case translator.
In the beginning we thought we could become autonomo by renting out 1 or 2 houses, but that is not possible. That is seen as investment income. Only when you do B&B or renting out with holiday services.
When your income is zero quarter after quarter, you might have a problem. But not necessary that you earn 1000 EUR/month! We asked our gestor and he thought +/- 400 EUR/month is ok.

Smithy73 Jun 16th 2018 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pilou (Post 12516998)
You need to find a business, like selling things or in my case translator.
In the beginning we thought we could become autonomo by renting out 1 or 2 houses, but that is not possible. That is seen as investment income. Only when you do B&B or renting out with holiday services.
When your income is zero quarter after quarter, you might have a problem. But not necessary that you earn 1000 EUR/month! We asked our gestor and he thought +/- 400 EUR/month is ok.

Sorry that is just misinformation!
I have a perfectly good autonomo business renting out my properties for holiday lets and no one cares if you make an income, so long as you keep up with the social security payments and file zero returns paying your accountant.

Pilou Jun 16th 2018 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smithy73 (Post 12517000)
Sorry that is just misinformation!
I have a perfectly good autonomo business renting out my properties for holiday lets and no one cares if you make an income, so long as you keep up with the social security payments and file zero returns paying your accountant.

Good for you!!

Smithy73 Jun 16th 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pilou (Post 12517004)
Good for you!!

It might help the OP if you actually offer some advice that was correct

Smithy73 Jun 16th 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by IanWorthington (Post 12516971)

It is best to take insurance for the first year and then after one year of being on the Padron you can pay into the social security system directly for health care at €60 a month.
Unless you are planning on becoming self employed. The €50 discount is for 12 months now -

1-12 months: 50 Euros

13-18 months (50% reduction): 137 Euros

18-24 months (30% reduction): 192 Euros

After 24 months contributions revert to standard, which is currently around 275 - 290 Euros per month.

Once registered as Autonomo, you will receive a PDF of your social security number certificate. You take this to your local health center and they will produce a SIPP card for you. It is the SIPP card that is proof of health care.
But I have a feeling this is putting the cart before the horse - At my appointment with the tax office to register for Autonomo, they asked to see my residents card.

Smithy73 Jun 16th 2018 12:32 pm

We became resident. After 1 year he stopped and we had the state health insurance for free, because all residents have the right to be insured. All good.

It's not free if you are of working age!

IanWorthington Jun 16th 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks guys. Some stuff to mull over there.

@Smithy73: Why do you think it's best do do private insurance for the first year rather than paying the autonomo fee? The later looks significantly cheaper.