British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Unexpected additional residency requirements (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/unexpected-additional-residency-requirements-913863/)

Moses2013 Jun 13th 2018 11:49 am

Re: Unexpected additional residency requirements

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12515172)
I have lived in Spain for more than 5 years and my certificate gives me the right of permanent residency. If you have had your certificate for more than 5 years you can get a new one confirming that right.

As far as Brexit is concerned the situation of UK nationals in Spain has already been agreed.
  • UK nationals who, before the end of the Implementation Period, are holders of a valid permanent residence document or a valid domestic immigration document conferring a permanent right to reside, will be able to exchange that document for a new residence document free of charge. They may be required to provide proof of identity and undergo criminality and security checks.

That's my point. People thinking they can quickly go to Spain now, live there for 3 months still won't have a guarantee until all is clear. Being a permanent resident, or registering your residence is different.

Smithy73 Jun 13th 2018 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12515147)
Sure. My points are only relevant for EU citizens and the OP seems to need a visa, as a non EU citizen anyway. Just saying that unless it's the official law, nothing is sure or clear. Just pointing out EU law.

The OP is British!?

Smithy73 Jun 13th 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12515174)
Nope - my extranjeria allows copayments!

Some extranjeria allow bank statements from UK banks!

What you are stating might be in your experience but it certainly is NOT the case everywhere!

Well Gandia doesn't and neither does the area the OP is in!

Smithy73 Jun 13th 2018 12:09 pm

Someone's else's experience in Valencia - https://movingtovalencia.lbiz.es/nie...r-eu-citizens/

Moses2013 Jun 13th 2018 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Smithy73 (Post 12515194)
Well Gandia doesn't and neither does the area the OP is in!

At the end of the day all people have options and it's down to each individual to decide what they think is right. Just because a policeman in Gandia thinks it's standard practice to overcharge a person for speeding, doesn't mean you have to accept it.

bobd22 Jun 13th 2018 2:47 pm

Neither of the two things mentioned by the OP are new in anyway but yes different areas do deal differently with both of these points. However a chat with a gestoria in the area you intend applying to as to what you will require to provide for that area will resolve the issue. In my area Torre Del Mar then the health insurance must be a full year policy fully paid up no co payments but no mention of any prior conditions. As for income etc if you own your property outright with no outstanding charfpgws showing proved with escrutira and nota simple then there is no requirement to show any money in your bank account but if it is rented or mortgaged property then you must show something like 4500 euros in the account per individual or 7000 per couple or around 370 Euros per individual per month .
To find out what I needed took a simple email enquiry to a gestoria.

IanWorthington Jun 13th 2018 3:16 pm

Wow, this thread grew when my back was turned.

They stated they wanted to see resources of eur 15,000, but didn't have a problem when I showed them my statement in gbp. The only problem was that I didn't have a spanish bank account with movements for at least 3 months as well.

I pointed out to him that I'd have to be here illegally to comply with that rule and he said yes!

He also had no problem with a monthly-paid health policy, just that had to be sin copago.

I've now opened a bank a/c. ING have free banking but won't take non-residents. I went with Caixa who charge eur 24/3 months. Not sure if there are better options.

bobd22 Jun 13th 2018 4:32 pm

Are you UK / EU citizen?

Fred James Jun 13th 2018 4:36 pm

The law now says that having a credit card with an adequate unused credit limit will be sufficient. Sadly I don't think the local agencies have any knowledge about this.

EsuriJohn Jun 13th 2018 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12515172)
I have lived in Spain for more than 5 years and my certificate gives me the right of permanent residency. If you have had your certificate for more than 5 years you can get a new one confirming that right.

As far as Brexit is concerned the situation of UK nationals in Spain has already been agreed.
  • UK nationals who, before the end of the Implementation Period, are holders of a valid permanent residence document or a valid domestic immigration document conferring a permanent right to reside, will be able to exchange that document for a new residence document free of charge. They may be required to provide proof of identity and undergo criminality and security checks.

I thought the mantra was “nothing is agreed until everything is agreed”.

Smithy73 Jun 13th 2018 7:27 pm

[QUOTE=IanWorthington;12515326]Wow, this thread grew when my back was turned.

They stated they wanted to see resources of eur 15,000, but didn't have a problem when I showed them my statement in gbp. The only problem was that I didn't have a spanish bank account with movements for at least 3 months as well.

/QUOTE]

What part of Spain are you?

Smithy73 Jun 13th 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12515380)
Are you UK / EU citizen?

He states on a different post that he is British... but 15000 Euros is a new one on me.

Ian, is this because you are of working age or rent etc?

I have friends, who will be going through this process in September, so further details would be useful as they will be renting and not purchasing.

Smithy73 Jun 13th 2018 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by IanWorthington (Post 12515326)

I've now opened a bank a/c. ING have free banking but won't take non-residents. I went with Caixa who charge eur 24/3 months. Not sure if there are better options.

For non residents La Caixa is good. They can also do you a specific certificate for the residency process showing the total amount and the income amounts into the account.
When you become resident the fee drops or you can change bank

Fred James Jun 13th 2018 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12515412)

I thought the mantra was “nothing is agreed until everything is agreed”.

The government statement seems clear.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-f...nals-in-the-eu

Even if the whole thing went down the pan I think it is pretty certain there would be a bi-lateral agreement on these terms.

bobd22 Jun 13th 2018 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Smithy73 (Post 12515487)
He states on a different post that he is British... but 15000 Euros is a new one on me.

That's why I asked as 15000 Euros is a very high amount given that in area I am it is just under 5000 for an individual.