Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unempoyed in Spain, can they pay (uemployed stamp) into SS

Unempoyed in Spain, can they pay (uemployed stamp) into SS

Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:34 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about
Default Unempoyed in Spain, can they pay (uemployed stamp) into SS

I am retired, my wife is Filipino under retirement age.

She is covered for free medical in Spain being a dependant of mine (DWP pay). When I die her cover will stop after 12 months

Can anyone tell me how she can continue to be covered ?

For example, can she pay now as an unemployed person as one could in UK ?

Thanks, John
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Unempoyed in Spain, can they pay (uemployed stamp) into SS

Originally Posted by JulianWard
I am retired, my wife is Filipino under retirement age.She is covered for free medical in Spain being a dependant of mine (DWP pay). When I die her cover will stop after 12 months Can anyone tell me how she can continue to be covered ?For example, can she pay now as an unemployed person as one could in UK ?
The Spanish SS system bears no resemblance to the one in the UK. She will have to get private cover from Sanitas or similar or if you live in communidad de Valencia there is a special arrangement to pay and be treated in the Spanish state state system not sure of numbers but is around 275 euros per quarter.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:48 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Whitelinen.

After 22 years here, I know practically everything is different from UK and that is why I am asking here.

I am sure that others have met with the problem and have probably found ways to overcome it, other than private cover (which my wife has in addition to the DWP paid-for cover).

What would happen is my wife registers for work, could she then start paying into the system and get some sort off cover ?

I have just found this quite which implies there is a way to register, but it does not include what conditions apply. Hopefully someone can tell me.

Thanks again.

Quote.-

"Registering to pay Social Security contributions is most important in terms of health care cover. Spain’s public health scheme offers some free and mostly subsidised medical treatment, however it does not provide the same level of free care as the British NHS. What is provided, however, is excellent and by making Social Security contributions you will be entitled to the same level of cover as a Spanish National"
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Whitelinen.
What would happen is my wife registers for work, could she then start paying into the system and get some sort off cover ?
I have just found this quite which implies there is a way to register, but it does not include what conditions apply. Hopefully someone can tell me.
The minimum contribution for autonomo is around 265 euros per month, private health insurance is much less. The Spanish SS system expressly states that the person has to have an economic activity and also has to register with Hacienda. I do know a couple of brits who tried to go the autonomo route but were kicked off because they had no actual business.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:00 am
Banned

Whitelinen again thanks.

Another experiences please ?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Whitelinen again thanks.

Another experiences please ?
All I can tell you is that private health here is relatively cheap. Cheaper than autonomo for sure. When we first came here we went with Sanitas and that was €1150 a year for both of us in our mid fifties, so obviously it would be cheaper for a lesser age
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
All I can tell you is that private health here is relatively cheap. Cheaper than autonomo for sure. When we first came here we went with Sanitas and that was €1150 a year for both of us in our mid fifties, so obviously it would be cheaper for a lesser age
Sanitas premium for my wife, under 40, is just under 1,100€ p.a. Axa/PPP's last renewal quote, about 3 years ago, for me, was around £3,000. I don't have private cover now !
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sanitas premium for my wife, under 40, is just under 1,100€ p.a. Axa/PPP's last renewal quote, about 3 years ago, for me, was around £3,000. I don't have private cover now !
Whaaaat? You're on the Spanish site, yes? Not the UK "BUPA" one.

This is the quote for a 39 year old woman (There are three different levels)

45,80 € 80,70 € 144,80 €

I stopped mine at the start of the year, but even then it was around €1500 pa for both of us, and we're a little older then your wife

I also heard of someone that signed on with Centro Medico on one of the systems they run. I think there was a joining fee, and after that you paid a small amount every time you went to the doctor

I think Sanitas and other health companies do the same kind of thing, a small payment everytime you go to the doctor
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Whaaaat? You're on the Spanish site, yes? Not the UK "BUPA" one.

This is the quote for a 39 year old woman (There are three different levels)

45,80 € 80,70 € 144,80 €

I stopped mine at the start of the year, but even then it was around €1500 pa for both of us, and we're a little older then your wife

I also heard of someone that signed on with Centro Medico on one of the systems they run. I think there was a joining fee, and after that you paid a small amount every time you went to the doctor

I think Sanitas and other health companies do the same kind of thing, a small payment everytime you go to the doctor
My wife is 38. The renewal for 3 months is 273€ but included dental. There are also charges for consultations
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife is 38. The renewal for 3 months is 273€ but included dental. There are also charges for consultations

Whatever, its still a third of the cost of autonomos!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Whatever, its still a third of the cost of autonomos!
Yes I realised that. I was replying to Mitzyboy, not complaining about the cost.