Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unemployment by region.

Unemployment by region.

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment by region.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
How does Andalucia survive? Is it all black market? And why are job figures so much better in the north (with the possible exception of Catalunya which isn't looking so good?
The North has huge, established industry and it is the financial 'centre' of Spain.

The number of unemployed in Andalucia may also be a bit distorted. Andalucia has a very family orientated culture. Employment laws are so strong in Spain that many small businesses only employ within the 'family'. Family members often claim benefits where they can whilst working for 'free' in the family business.

Also, there is a huge workforce of illegal immigrants (and students looking for extra pocket money). Just 3 years ago I was shocked at the number of people apparently happy to work for €2/hour in vineyards, olive groves, as cleaners in hotels etc. Today, I see people working all day just for a bed and a meal - it really is that bad! Not far off slavery.

I meet many seasonal/casual labourers when I walk around Spain and Europe. Agricultural work in Andalucia isn't just seasonal, it is rapidly becoming mechanised. The casual workers who used to follow the harvesting work are now giving up because the low paid jobs that used to exist are now gone. English immigrants won't bother going to areas if they know Senegalese people are working for less than they dare. There is a huge illegal workforce.

The figures for unemployment in Andalucia are probably very corrupt for corrupt reasons.

Catalunya, despite all it's pride, is equally reliant on tourism and the illegal workforce that services the tourism industry.

Spain as a whole is beginning to wake up to life without Euro funding. Bad investment and corruption. But, we can't point fingers at Spain alone - the whole of Europe looks pretty f*****. Eastern Europe looks best placed to ride the storm.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:58 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
The North has huge, established industry and it is the financial 'centre' of Spain.

The number of unemployed in Andalucia may also be a bit distorted. Andalucia has a very family orientated culture. Employment laws are so strong in Spain that many small businesses only employ within the 'family'. Family members often claim benefits where they can whilst working for 'free' in the family business.

Also, there is a huge workforce of illegal immigrants (and students looking for extra pocket money). Just 3 years ago I was shocked at the number of people apparently happy to work for €2/hour in vineyards, olive groves, as cleaners in hotels etc. Today, I see people working all day just for a bed and a meal - it really is that bad! Not far off slavery.

I meet many seasonal/casual labourers when I walk around Spain and Europe. Agricultural work in Andalucia isn't just seasonal, it is rapidly becoming mechanised. The casual workers who used to follow the harvesting work are now giving up because the low paid jobs that used to exist are now gone. English immigrants won't bother going to areas if they know Senegalese people are working for less than they dare. There is a huge illegal workforce.

The figures for unemployment in Andalucia are probably very corrupt for corrupt reasons.

Catalunya, despite all it's pride, is equally reliant on tourism and the illegal workforce that services the tourism industry.

Spain as a whole is beginning to wake up to life without Euro funding. Bad investment and corruption. But, we can't point fingers at Spain alone - the whole of Europe looks pretty f*****. Eastern Europe looks best placed to ride the storm.
and yet Hungary is talking to the IMF
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ssistance.html

IMHO no one is immune.............
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
and yet Hungary is talking to the IMF
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ssistance.html

IMHO no one is immune.............
Have to admit to knowing very little about Hungary. However, Slovakia and the Czech Republic are where I would be putting money now if I had any.

Personally, I am feeling the crunch here in Spain already. I suspect it's going to be a very big crunch.