Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unemployment by region.

Unemployment by region.

Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment by region.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Anything they want. You cant grow an economy unless you have industry.

I thought the current financial crisis had taught us that?
ok so people start businesses without market research, without a product, without a design and without the right machines to make.
It can take abt 5years for product gestation through to hitting the market place.....
......but CM says its alright.

what if everyone sees a market for a shiny widget that don't do alot, don't cost a lot to make but everyone needs it, and will pay zillions for it.
except everyone is making it.

it was a rocky road for Spain to go from being predominately Agriculture to Tourism. Industry was always local, mostly supporting agriculture, very little national or international, although that is changing but around the usual players of Barcelona, Madrid et al and in the new technologies of IT.

its a long and rocky road mate, and cannot be left to several million doing their own thing, thats self destructive.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
ok so people start businesses without market research, without a product, without a design and without the right machines to make.
It can take abt 5years for product gestation through to hitting the market place.....

what if everyone sees a market for a shiny widget that don't do alot, don't cost a lot to make but everyone needs it, and will pay zillions for it.

it was a rocky road for Spain to go from being predominately Agriculture to Tourism. Industry was always local, mostly supporting agriculture, very little national or international, although that is changing but around the usual players of Barcelona, Madrid et al and in the new technologies of IT.

its a long and rocky road mate, and cannot be left to several million doing their own thing, thats self destructive.
What are you talking about. You've just made a lot of comments up and assumed that is what I meant?

I know it takes years to build up industries. But it is interesting that those parts of the countries that do not rely on tourism are those that are doing much better - and also have a more diversified economy

Oh and Spain's economy isnt predominantly based on tourism, that is the point. Only the poor, under-performing areas depend on it, which suggests that they should concentrate on something else
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

scolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to all

Might be a surprise to some but check this out. perhaps Spain has more going for it than a number of posters might think !!!!!

The major industries produce textiles and apparel, foods and beverages, metals and metal products, chemicals, ships, automobiles, machine tools, clay and refractory products, footwear, pharmaceuticals, and medical equipment. Industries are concentrated chiefly in the Madrid region; in Valladolid; in Catalonia, which has large textile, automotive parts, and electronics manufactures; in Valencia; and in Asturias and the Basque Country, where the rich mineral resources of the Cantabrian Mts. (iron, coal, and zinc) are exploited. Copper is mined extensively at Río Tinto; other mineral resources include lead, uranium, silver, tin, and mercury. Petroleum is found near Burgos. Fishing, notably for sardines, tuna, cod, and anchovies, is an important source of livelihood, especially on the Atlantic coast, and fish canning is a major industry.
In addition
Spain is the world's largest producer of olive oil and Europe's largest producer of lemons, oranges, and strawberries

Not bad for a country that according to some on this forum is close to a third world nation.........
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:12 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

What are you talking about. You've just made a lot of comments up and assumed that is what I meant?

I know it takes years to build up industries. But it is interesting that those parts of the countries that do not rely on tourism are those that are doing much better - and also have a more diversified economy

Oh and Spain's economy isnt predominantly based on tourism, that is the point. Only the poor, under-performing areas depend on it, which suggests that they should concentrate on something else
man you aren't listening "they should concentrate on something else" so come on tell us all WHAT !?!

the other parts of the country have their tourism but it is a better balance vs the other things they do. its no use when the fish have gone to tell the fisherman "do something else" without being there for him, helping him, building the infrastructure, just like the UK did with the old mining towns and villages.
so....come on tell us all what they should concentrate on

over to you Mr Starter......
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

man you aren't listening "they should concentrate on something else" so come on tell us all WHAT !?!

the other parts of the country have their tourism but it is a better balance vs the other things they do. its no use when the fish have gone to tell the fisherman "do something else" without being there for him, helping him, building the infrastructure, just like the UK did with the old mining towns and villages.
so....come on tell us all what they should concentrate on

over to you Mr Starter......
Come on this is the trillion euro question. I suggest it will depend on the infrastructure, resources and education in each area.

You are searching for a magic solution, I dont have one. That doesnt mean there arent any though!

They've made a good start, exports are massively up this year, especially in foodstuff. Green energy and biotech are starting to gain importance. Spain has so many amazing natural sources and pre-industrial traditions then I think Spain should focus on quality added-value products rather than quantity

e.g. for a food example. Sell $1000 jamones to Japan and the US rather than 99c tomatos to Tescos. Although, there is room for both
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scolly52
Might be a surprise to some but check this out. perhaps Spain has more going for it than a number of posters might think !!!!!

Not bad for a country that according to some on this forum is close to a third world nation.........
You should be Minister for Propaganda. Nothing in your list that most of us aren't already well aware of, and you can talk it up all you like, the bottom line is Spain has the highest unemployment level in the EU and accounts for a third of all unemployed in the EU. Spain has increased it's universities from 28 to 78 in the last 30 odd years, it's now turning out the most highly educated dole queues anywhere, unable to offer half of them jobs.

Spanish joblessness increased in the third quarter to 21.5 percent, its highest level in 15 years, further undermining the economy’s recovery from its worst recession in six decades, the National Statistics Institute said on Oct. 28. A third of the euro region’s jobless are in Spain, Eurostat data shows.
The September unemployment rate rose to 22.6 percent, the highest in the European Union, the EU’s statistics office in Luxembourg said today. The jobless rate among people under 25 years old increased to 48 percent, it said.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:48 am

Come on this is the trillion euro question. I suggest it will depend on the infrastructure, resources and education in each area.

You are searching for a magic solution, I dont have one. That doesnt mean there arent any though!

They've made a good start, exports are massively up this year, especially in foodstuff. Green energy and biotech are starting to gain importance. Spain has so many amazing natural sources and pre-industrial traditions then I think Spain should focus on quality added-value products rather than quantity

e.g. for a food example. Sell $1000 jamones to Japan and the US rather than 99c tomatos to Tescos. Although, there is room for both
remember you are the one telling the Spanish to Diversify - but you cannot tell them what to diversify into. Same as sending a child to the toilet and not telling them what to do !!

as to the jamons and tomatoes, the former takes 3-5 years the latter takes a matter of weeks. the latter gives short term income whilst the former gives long term profit.
Now marketing man - tell us which way round it should be and which markets to diversify into. And when you do, remember to tell us why you didnt think of this 5 years ago.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by agoreira
You should be Minister for Propaganda. Nothing in your list that most of us aren't already well aware of, and you can talk it up all you like, the bottom line is Spain has the highest unemployment level in the EU and accounts for a third of all unemployed in the EU. Spain has increased it's universities from 28 to 78 in the last 30 odd years, it's now turning out the most highly educated dole queues anywhere, unable to offer half of them jobs.
which is why so many of them are exporting themselves to countries like Australia where their education is needed, in a country that hasnt got all these financial problems and is desperate for people to fill jobs so the country can grow.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

remember you are the one telling the Spanish to Diversify - but you cannot tell them what to diversify into. Same as sending a child to the toilet and not telling them what to do !!

as to the jamons and tomatoes, the former takes 3-5 years the latter takes a matter of weeks. the latter gives short term income whilst the former gives long term profit.
Now marketing man - tell us which way round it should be and which markets to diversify into. And when you do, remember to tell us why you didnt think of this 5 years ago.
Erm, because I am not employed by the Spanish government

I can come come up with a solution if you like, but give me 12 months and a nice budget first. Then I'll look up the data I need and go and speak to the people that I need to in order to get the info needed to make a decision!

Spain is a very diverse nation, solutions should be at a local level
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:47 pm

A very good question. Given the opinion of some Brits that they help provide jobs to Spaniards, well the facts seem to show the very opposite. All the areas where Brits live and tourists go to are the poorest areas in Spain and have the highest unemployment

It could be that the areas have been lazy for so long, depending on tourism, agriculture and construction and not diversifying their local economies. Its also true that in these areas the black economy is high as its relatively easy to work cash in hand in the tourism sector
Erm, because I am not employed by the Spanish government

I can come come up with a solution if you like, but give me 12 months and a nice budget first. Then I'll look up the data I need and go and speak to the people that I need to in order to get the info needed to make a decision!

Spain is a very diverse nation, solutions should be at a local level
Have you not thought that Spain's diversity is a major part of the problem ?

Solutions at a local level, without taking into account what is happening in the village, autonomous district, North, South, East, West, will lead to isolated bursts of sparklers on Nov 5th, last for a short while and then fizzle out.
It is something that may be started from the grass roots but must be led from the upper tiers of government to provide the infrastructure, the incentives - such as autonomo reductions (which are in place already) etc to allow these sparklers to go off like rockets.

I see you can come up with a solution in 12m if someone pays you, but you are telling all those out of work to get out there and diversify now. Don't they deserve the 12m as well, and the pay ?

after all this we now know you can tell people what to do but you can't teach them what to do, so its no use giving you €50 and deciding whether to pass the money on or use it to buy a goat which you pass on.

thanks for the insight
Old Oct 31st 2011, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I see you can come up with a solution in 12m if someone pays you, but you are telling all those out of work to get out there and diversify now. Don't they deserve the 12m as well, and the pay ?

after all this we now know you can tell people what to do but you can't teach them what to do, so its no use giving you €50 and deciding whether to pass the money on or use it to buy a goat which you pass on.

thanks for the insight
I think you need to take your medication

I've told told any unemployed people to do anything. Re-read the thread if it bothers you so much
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to take your medication

I've told told any unemployed people to do anything. Re-read the thread if it bothers you so much
I bet they loved that.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JLFS
I bet they loved that.
"I've NOT told any unemployed people to do anything"

JLFS, easily confused
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:10 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

"I've NOT told any unemployed people to do anything"

JLFS, easily confused
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
How does Andalucia survive? Is it all black market? And why are job figures so much better in the north (with the possible exception of Catalunya which isn't looking so good) ?

http://realidadeconomica.es/wp-conte...as-colores.jpg
"Why are job figures so much better in the north?"

There are still lots of manufacturing industries in the Basque country.
The Municipales have much less debt than in the south & east.
There's less tourism which is fine in itself, but is still a service industry.
Maybe the work ethic is different, tho' I have no proof of this.
Maybe there's less corruption? Job to say.
Industries such as agriculture are not so affected by the long, hot & dry summers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.