Reload this Page >

unemployment benefit in spain

unemployment benefit in spain

Old Sep 15th 2011, 10:36 am
Just Joined

tobyjug47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default unemployment benefit in spain

hi
I am needing to move to spain to work and live my british parent who lives and works in spain until i can find an appartment.

I am hoping to find some salaried work if I move but if I was unsuccesful for a while would I be able to claim any type of unemployment benefit or otherwise in spain? Either from the UK or the spanish goverment.

many thanks for you help
Old Sep 15th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: unemployment benefit in spain

Originally Posted by tobyjug47
hi
I am needing to move to spain to work and live my british parent who lives and works in spain until i can find an appartment.

I am hoping to find some salaried work if I move but if I was unsuccesful for a while would I be able to claim any type of unemployment benefit or otherwise in spain? Either from the UK or the spanish goverment.

many thanks for you help
Sorry, but in a word, NO !
Old Sep 15th 2011, 10:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

hi

many thanks for you help
if you are unemployed and receiving Contribution based JSA discuss with your adviser, you are allowed 3 months looking for employment in an EU country where your JSA would still be paid subject to your registering with the agreed equiv in Spain and regularly sign on there.
Income based JSA cannot be used in such a way.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/BritonsL...oad/DG_4000102
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

hi

many thanks for you help
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

The simple answeer to your question is an emphatic NO, Spain is nothing like the UK for a benefit system, people have to make their own way, pay their own way and if they cannot the family have to support them.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:41 am
Bleating on & on

Barbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura about

I don't think people realise how good and generous the benefit system is in the UK.

The same applies to our health system.

Sadly that's why it's become such a magnet for so many other European drifters, and why so many expats come back when they become ill.

I wouldn't dream of leaving it permanently, yet so many knock it and pretend that life in Spain and Portugal is nearly perfect.

Yes they have hotter consistent summers, cheaper living costs and cheaper fags and alcohol....... but that doesn't make a lifestyle

Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Barbara Red lips

Sadly that's why it's become such a magnet for so many other European drifters, and why so many expats come back when they become ill.
I wouldn't dream of leaving it permanently, yet so many knock it and pretend that life in Spain and Portugal is nearly perfect.
Yes they have hotter consistent summers, cheaper living costs and cheaper fags and alcohol....... but that doesn't make a lifestyle
The majority of Brits who come to live in Spain have money and are not unemployed job seekers living off benefits.

So for the majority it can and does offer a great lifestyle.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks guys

So you understand and misunderstand? A
At the moment I am NOT unemployed here in the uk and not a scrounger I work and pay my dues.

I am about to lose my job and I am going to be homeless soon and as a young single person on my own I can get nowhere to live or any help with accomodation.

There was a promise of a job in spain for me and my parent needs help with chores etc as they cannott cope on there own due to certain problems

Therefore I was wondering If the job fell through before I moved what position I would be In? thats all.

I have no intention of claiming benefits I would rather work If I can but my parent needs help

Many thanks all
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks guys

Therefore I was wondering If the job fell through before I moved what position I would be In?

I have no intention of claiming benefits I would rather work If I can but my parent needs help

Many thanks all
You would be like thousands of others (all nationalities) unemployed !
You could help your parent and they could keep you while you look for
work, call it a holiday.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
You would be like thousands of others (all nationalities) unemployed !
You could help your parent and they could keep you while you look for
work, call it a holiday.
and if you are unemployed and entitled to Contributions based JSA would get a princely £67.50 per week if 25 or over. This would enable you to get out to spain and have a little money of your own whilst you decide what to do.

do your parents get UK's DLA ?
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

cheers me dear

That was the idea in the first place
Heres the thing tho? my single parent cannott afford to pay for me for too long as a holiday as they are not very affluent.
So the idea was to work in spain and then help her to pay her bills etc and look after her.
x
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers me dear

Heres the thing tho? my single parent cannott afford to pay for me for too long as a holiday as they are not very affluent.
So the idea was to work in spain and then help her to pay her bills etc and look after her.
x
Nice idea, now welcome to the real world !
How old are you ?
Do you speak ANY Spanish ?
Do you have any special skills ?
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:02 pm

cheers me dear

x
well as we are talking, it can come from me instead of the doomsayers around here.....Spain has a 20% and rising unemployment rate in the 18-40 age group. many Spaniards stay at home until mid 30's, sometimes later. Jobs for those who cant speak the lingo are very rare and far between.

I know it sounds simplistic, but, meals for 2 do not have to be much more expensive than for 1. Tinned food is cheaper in larger tins. There is loads of fresh fruit and vegetables locally grown. Many of the older style greengrocer's shops owned\run by the family. Tomatoes and peppers are all "different" being the rejects from Tesco's, all different sizes and shapes, not the regular shaped ones you get at home. And they are at least 50% cheaper, generally 70-80%. Meat is a problem, it isnt cheap, but there are still bargains to be had if you look carefully.

Now an 800g Kingsmill regular cut white is £1.65 in my local Spar, even Spain seems cheaper for bread.

do what you have to, the money from JSA will only last for a short time but its only ever a stopgap, get the family sorted and then try to enjoy yourself.
come in here from time to time and let us know how you are getting on
rgds
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment I am NOT unemployed here in the uk and not a scrounger I work and pay my dues.
Good on you that you want to work and also to be able to help your parent. What is your level of Spanish? What is your type of work? How secure is the offer of work?

I know that you said that your parent is not well oiff but how feasible would it be for you both to live off their income for any length of time? If the answer is not at all or only for a very short time then I would have thought that you would be better off in the UK because having no money and trying to help but becoming a further burden to your parent could end up really spoiling your relationship. If the answer is that with careful planning and economical cooking etc that you would not be too much of a financial burden but be of help and hopefulñly if you found work would be adding your own contributions then go for it.

I am not trying to be negative but realistic and the reality is that there are loads of unemployed Spanish youngsters here who would probably get priority over you when it comes to any work that becomes available.

Good luck with your decision.

Rosemary
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:59 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Please show some respect to a new member who is asking for help.

These unrelated posts help no one, least of all a young person looking for help.

This forum is here to help people. It is not a general chat room to discuss the price of bread. There are other places on the BE site where you can indulge yourself - please don't do it here.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:25 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, even if you are granted (contributions-based) Jobseekers' Allowance from the UK, you will only be able to claim it for three months if you come to live in Spain. There will be no such Benefit from the Spanish Government.

Does your parent claim British State Pension?

There is very little chance of a job in Spain for a young person who does not speak the language. In the part of Spain that I have lived in the unemployment rate is 40%.

You might be better relocating your parent to the UK, although they will have to pass the Habitual Residence Test before they can claim additional Benefits such as help with Tent and Council Tax. State Pension will not be affected by this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.