British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Unemployment Benefit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/unemployment-benefit-902966/)

SecretMachine Sep 6th 2017 10:54 am

Unemployment Benefit

Hello,

I've been recently alterted that my contract ends at the end of the year and will not be renewed. In the mean time, I am searching for a job. However, given my current area of work, jobs in Barcelona are not common and thus there is a chance I will be jobless in the new year.

As a result, I was inquiring with regards to "Paro" and how it works in Spain. I will have been paying tax in Spain for roughly 12 months at the time of my becoming employed. What do I need to claim Paro? Generally how much will I receive and for how long? And importantly, once I have found new employment, how do I about cancelling it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of clear instructions regarding this online.

teuchterpete Sep 6th 2017 11:19 am

Re: Unemployment Benefit

In was lead to believe that 12 months was too short a time for you to claim paro. I thought you needed to have worked for at least 3 years, but I stand to be corrected.

Moses2013 Sep 6th 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by teuchterpete (Post 12332342)
In was lead to believe that 12 months was too short a time for you to claim paro. I thought you needed to have worked for at least 3 years, but I stand to be corrected.

The minimum requirement is 1 year. If you've worked less than a year it's possible to get Subsidio por Desempleo but that would be very little. Paro Amount would depend on salary. If not enough contributions made and you qualify for Subsidio por Desempleo I believe it's 426€ but only max 6 months and after that nothing.

spainrico Sep 7th 2017 7:52 am

Suggest you visit your INSS office and they will explain all.

chrisjolly Sep 8th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by SecretMachine (Post 12332317)
Hello,

I've been recently alterted that my contract ends at the end of the year and will not be renewed. In the mean time, I am searching for a job. However, given my current area of work, jobs in Barcelona are not common and thus there is a chance I will be jobless in the new year.

As a result, I was inquiring with regards to "Paro" and how it works in Spain. I will have been paying tax in Spain for roughly 12 months at the time of my becoming employed. What do I need to claim Paro? Generally how much will I receive and for how long? And importantly, once I have found new employment, how do I about cancelling it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of clear instructions regarding this online.

My wife worked for herself for one year and then became unemployed. She claimed unemployment benefit which was a fraction of her monthly income and was paid for 6 months. They did try to find alternative employment for her which was very good.

frigilianafreddy Sep 10th 2017 6:28 pm

So what happens after 6 months? Is there no Social Security back up?

chrisjolly Sep 10th 2017 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy (Post 12335473)

No nothing...its not like the UK where it is possible to live on benefit for years.

Rotor Sep 10th 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by chrisjolly (Post 12335477)
No nothing...its not like the UK where it is possible to live on benefit for years.

Which is how it should be.

Moses2013 Sep 11th 2017 8:30 am

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy (Post 12335473)

You just hope that you can find some sort of job and if not pray that your family can help.