Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UNED vs Open Uni.

UNED vs Open Uni.

Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

happy.smiler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UNED vs Open Uni.

I have been looking into doing some studying. I have a HNC in Electronics that is equivalent to FPII, tecnico superior. I need to study some more Spanish as it is isn't good enough, and also study something while I don't have a job.

So I started looking, the open uni, is very well organised, the web site is very clear, but I'm not resident in the UK therefore the fees are double! Having already studied my HNC get me some points and I can study a "Open Degree" with Spanish and some tech. subjects it is going to cost nearly 5,000 euros in total!!

Then I looked at the UNED, the offices are like hospitals after a bomb has hit, the web site is not very clear, for example you cant find out if they would recognise my previous studies, how much the course would cost. They also do not do an equivalent "Open Degree." So I choose a course, phoned them up, 18 euros per credit so that works out at 4,500 euros for the course. I have also looked into the "Becas" it depends on how much the family earns, as my wife earns more than the limit I can not apply.

They also do "formación professional" which are courses that give you ECTS points, but if you do a selection of courses it will not give you a degree, so what the point!

So I think i'll do the Open uni, all of the course are on line.

Anyone got any advice?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all
Default Re: UNED vs Open Uni.

Originally Posted by happy.smiler
I have been looking into doing some studying. I have a HNC in Electronics that is equivalent to FPII, tecnico superior. I need to study some more Spanish as it is isn't good enough, and also study something while I don't have a job.

So I started looking, the open uni, is very well organised, the web site is very clear, but I'm not resident in the UK therefore the fees are double! Having already studied my HNC get me some points and I can study a "Open Degree" with Spanish and some tech. subjects it is going to cost nearly 5,000 euros in total!!

Then I looked at the UNED, the offices are like hospitals after a bomb has hit, the web site is not very clear, for example you cant find out if they would recognise my previous studies, how much the course would cost. They also do not do an equivalent "Open Degree." So I choose a course, phoned them up, 18 euros per credit so that works out at 4,500 euros for the course. I have also looked into the "Becas" it depends on how much the family earns, as my wife earns more than the limit I can not apply.

They also do "formación professional" which are courses that give you ECTS points, but if you do a selection of courses it will not give you a degree, so what the point!

So I think i'll do the Open uni, all of the course are on line.

Anyone got any advice?
Where do I start - can I ask you what the endgame is? Is it to find work further your career, seek promotion or just because it's there? Where is work / does work need to be? Here in Spain UK or Europe / elsewhere?

I would say that having a degree doesn't guarrantee you'll get a job - especially in Spain (I should know - I have two - never use them!).

Have you tried contacting some of the red brick universities back in the UK? It's probably getting late, but I would bet there are courses that need to run and most offer distance learning packages not just the OU. This is especially true with the Internet stealing the OU's USP which was free access to learning materials.

Are you a member of any professional bodies? They may be another route in to lower entry costs especially in Spain.

Good luck whatever you choose!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

happy.smiler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carter,

Yes to further my career, I'm currently unemployed so looking for something constructive to do too. Work is here in Spain, the Misses is a "funcionaría" so job for life and all that jazz, so going to be here for a while!! I'll never rule out completely going back to the UK, she might one day change her mind about the weather!

Spain seems to be a bit of a place, that if you haven't got a degree you can't get your foot in the door type of place, but that said it is also who you know too!

So I was looking to a course with Spanish, Computing and Electronic engineering.

No, I'm not a member of any professional body, because in Spain you need to be an Engineer??? (is that true??)

Which university would you recommend? There are so many!

Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by happy.smiler
Hi Carter,

Yes to further my career, I'm currently unemployed so looking for something constructive to do too. Work is here in Spain, the Misses is a "funcionaría" so job for life and all that jazz, so going to be here for a while!! I'll never rule out completely going back to the UK, she might one day change her mind about the weather!

Spain seems to be a bit of a place, that if you haven't got a degree you can't get your foot in the door type of place, but that said it is also who you know too!

So I was looking to a course with Spanish, Computing and Electronic engineering.

No, I'm not a member of any professional body, because in Spain you need to be an Engineer??? (is that true??)

Which university would you recommend? There are so many!

Thanks
I think you need a degree to prove to an employer that you're reasonably serious, but as you say you only get your foot in the door and it probably won't guarrantee you any decent pay or conditions!

Yes - enchufe is alive and kicking, which was why I was wondering whether some kind of professional body might get you onto that road. Don't know if Eur Ing is a pre-requesite for everywhere - surely good professional bodies are inclusive of those wanting to learn these days?

Which University? That was a long time ago for me why not start with the University of Google... start with something distance learning electronic engineering degree prospectus and go from there.

If Spain is your home for a while yet - I would be tempted to go for something here if only for the employer recognition. I have NEVER been asked where I did my degrees (or even to show the certificates... now there's a thought!) in all the countries I've worked in, but Spain may well be different. Worth asking friends / associates? If there is a big choice and no difference in credibility - I'd go for the cheapest!

Finally, might traditional Universities here be offering distance learning degrees or at least modules that you could mix with part-time/residencial?