Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee

Just to be clear, ILR is what the spouse of a British national gets after 5 yrs on LTR and FLR visas, and they wouldn't be paying taxes if they're not earning above a certain amount. There's also no employment requirement for these spouses, and the Brit can use either employment (over £18,600 pa), savings of over £62,500, or a number of other options not needing employment to meet the financial requirement.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...tion_FINAL.pdf

Page 9:

"If you receive settled status, also known as indefinite leave to remain or enter, this means there is no time limit on how long you can stay in the UK. "

Actually, the EU SS is more generous than the standard ILR, because, with the latter, you lose status if you leave the UK for more than 2 years whereas with a EU SS you lose status after 5 years of not being in UK, all this without checking if you ever paid any insurance in UK or claimed benefits. This is unfair to standard ILR holders.

This is bad in itself but would have been acceptable if at least the EU had returned the favour but they said Nein!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat077; Apr 6th 2021 at 7:37 am.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree

Still don't get it; no special treatment for expats...

UK voted to leave the EU, so now must live with the consequences...
I. AM. NOT. A. FARAGE. UKIP. OR. BREXIT PARTY. FAN! So please stop associating me with that clown!
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Probably because the incompetents who were handling Brexit didn't know what they were doing, and just reported in the MSM and from Parliament about the 'sunlit uplands' which would miraculously appear, and so many people believed those promises as they did with the Brexit lies.
100% agree with "incompetents".

Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:47 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970
"Such people", who? Are you referring to British expats in UK or EU citizens in UK? There is no concept of registered "residency" in UK and the Settled Status scheme is independent from the previous Permanent Residence scheme. All EU citizens have to do is download an Android app and take a picture of themselves. Why couldn't the EU do the same for British expats?
BRitish citizens in Spain
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
The main persón the article quoted, from another source is in fact an offshore worker in the UK. My guess would be (I don't know of course) that he works there and visits his wife who lives in Spain full time but probably haven't bothered to comply with TIE rules. As I say that is my thoughts only.
You may be right.

Having worked in that industry myself I know what the salaries are and how hard tax wise one could be hammered in Spain, a potentially big incentive to not become fiscally resident!

Had I still been working I might have considered that route myself but certainly not have ignored the known consequences after Jan 1st.

I wonder if he'll now even be able to apply for residency under the non EU rules, AFAIK as I understamd salaries are not generally recognised as financial resources as a job can be lost at any time.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no concept of registered "residency" in UK and the Settled Status scheme is independent from the previous Permanent Residence scheme. All EU citizens have to do is download an Android app and take a picture of themselves. Why couldn't the EU do the same for British expats?
You are referring to EU citizens already living in the uk pre 1 January. Registering using the app. Not something I have looked into as I am British Citizen registered and living in Spain. You say why couldn't Spain do the same ? Actually they made it even easier for those registered resident with green card they had to do absolutely nothing but if they wished could fill in a form with a photo and apply for a TIE card paying just 12 Euros if they wished. I really don't see the point you are trying to make saying Spain made it difficult. It isn't but may be for those that have hidden under the radar for years.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:36 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

..There is no concept of registered "residency" in UK ...
There was - had to be under EU rules.

The UK didn't make it obligatory to obtain a registration certificate, though.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this was quite appropriate.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:56 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

All EU citizens have to do is download an Android app and take a picture of themselves. Why couldn't the EU do the same for British expats?
The EU sets the rules by which each EU member state implements the registration of EU nationals and their family members by national governments. So Spain has always implemented the rules for registering EU and non-EU nationals in Spain.

Did any other EU member state make an app to register Brits abroad? None of those countries were leaving the EU, were they? Would said app have encouraged those same Brits who chose not to register for years to suddenly decide to register?

Thanks.

Actually, the EU SS is more generous than the standard ILR, because, with the latter, you lose status if you leave the UK for more than 2 years whereas with a EU SS you lose status after 5 years of not being in UK, all this without checking if you ever paid any insurance in UK or claimed benefits. This is unfair to standard ILR holders.
Actually, there's no requirement for 'standard' ILR applicants or holders either before or after being granted ILR on the Spouse visa route to pay tax or NI in the UK if they're earning below the tax threshhold either. The financial requirement applies to their British spouse for LTR, FLR and ILR, though the applicant can use any income they have towards the FLR and ILR financial requirement, it's not mandatory.

So no difference there.

This is bad in itself but would have been acceptable if at least the EU had returned the favour but they said Nein!
The UK government was driving for a hard Brexit. It got one. That was it's choice. The EU made offers, the UK said no.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Apr 6th 2021 at 9:50 am.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Thought this was quite appropriate.
https://twitter.com/UKGovtGoogles/st...63654973628417
Great Link Mike, sums it up
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:59 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
You say why couldn't Spain do the same ? Actually they made it even easier for those registered resident with green card they had to do absolutely nothing but if they wished could fill in a form with a photo and apply for a TIE card paying just 12 Euros if they wished. I really don't see the point you are trying to make saying Spain made it difficult. It isn't but may be for those that have hidden under the radar for years.
I think those are exactly the people he wanted it made easier for.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I think those are exactly the people he wanted it made easier for.
Very possibly the people that both Spanish and UK Government warned to legalise their position before 31 December
Old Apr 6th 2021, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen anything on deporting British nationals or even overstaying penalties ?. Can’t see a thing about it on the news. I thought 500 expats were going to be deported.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 11:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Has anyone seen anything on deporting British nationals or even overstaying penalties ?. Can’t see a thing about it on the news. I thought 500 expats were going to be deported.
I suspect there are stages, of which the first is seeing how many leave voluntarily. Then it'll be the legal notices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.