Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Old Apr 2nd 2021, 9:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

The EU should give some sort of amnesty to all British citizens who were in the country by 31.12.2020 just like we gave over 5 million ILR to any EU citizens who applied for it without checking if they ever paid tax or NI or claimed benefits.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 9:33 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970
The EU should give some sort of amnesty to all British citizens who were in the country by 31.12.2020 just like we gave over 5 million ILR to any EU citizens who applied for it without checking if they ever paid tax or NI or claimed benefits.
British citizens in the EU just need to prove residency, exactly the same as EU citizens the UK. So checks should have been made by the British government before granting (pre-)settled status (not ILR) to EU citizens.

British citizens who own a house in the EU but work in the UK and come and go as they please are not going to be able to prove residency, exactly the same for EU citizens if it were the other way around.

A great many EU citizens in the UK who have been there for more than five years were incorrectly given pre-settled status.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 9:44 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Still don't get it; no special treatment for expats...

UK voted to leave the EU, so now must live with the consequences...
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​But they did by telling such people to legalise their situation by obtaining residency, there was plenty of warning of how to do that and consequences if you didn't. It strikes me that the brexit mantra take back control of our borders should only apply to British borders and all other countries are expected to allow the British to come, go and live wherever as they wish because they are special people being British. It would now seem to be dawning on people that isn't the case.
​​​​
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 10:25 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 2nd 2021, 11:05 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The EU should give some sort of amnesty to all British citizens who were in the country by 31.12.2020
Why reward people who've had years to do something and chose not to? Had the rules been brought in at the last minute, I could see your point, but these Brits deliberately chose to avoid registering as they were required to, it was not an accident.

just like we gave over 5 million ILR to any EU citizens who applied for it without checking if they ever paid tax or NI or claimed benefits.
Does you have a source for that?

Just to be clear, ILR is what the spouse of a British national gets after 5 yrs on LTR and FLR visas, and they wouldn't be paying taxes if they're not earning above a certain amount. There's also no employment requirement for these spouses, and the Brit can use either employment (over £18,600 pa), savings of over £62,500, or a number of other options not needing employment to meet the financial requirement.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

n77af is an unknown quantity at this point

Going from that Mirror article it looks like I’d have been denied entry if I flew to Alicante last week instead of Madrid. The formalities at Madrid were no more than a passing glance at my passport. Perhaps because I was connecting to Sevilla, but again there were no checks there as it was a domestic flight.

I had the TIE receipt and a Regresso letter, but the only time anything was asked for was before getting on the plane at Heathrow.

I have another work trip in two weeks but thankfully collecting my TIE on Monday.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n77af
Going from that Mirror article it looks like I’d have been denied entry if I flew to Alicante last week instead of Madrid. The formalities at Madrid were no more than a passing glance at my passport. Perhaps because I was connecting to Sevilla, but again there were no checks there as it was a domestic flight.

I had the TIE receipt and a Regresso letter, but the only time anything was asked for was before getting on the plane at Heathrow.

I have another work trip in two weeks but thankfully collecting my TIE on Monday.
Of course thats the Mirrors take on it and accounts given to them by disgruntled people who didn't have correct paperwork. It could be that had you been there as you have fully complied they would have let you through without issue. The main persón the article quoted, from another source is in fact an offshore worker in the UK. My guess would be (I don't know of course) that he works there and visits his wife who lives in Spain full time but probably haven't bothered to comply with TIE rules. As I say that is my thoughts only.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Of course thats the Mirrors take on it and accounts given to them by disgruntled people who didn't have correct paperwork. It could be that had you been there as you have fully complied they would have let you through without issue. The main persón the article quoted, from another source is in fact an offshore worker in the UK. My guess would be (I don't know of course) that he works there and visits his wife who lives in Spain full time but probably haven't bothered to comply with TIE rules. As I say that is my thoughts only.

Yes I would definitely read between the lines. For example, at no point do they talk about those passengers who were allowed to enter because they did have documents. It was couched by the Express, Mail, Sun etc as though the Spanish were preventing all Brits from entering but it doesnt actually say that if you read it. Basically it seemed suggest there were a number of people who didn't have TIEs or proof of residency who weren't allowed in- and that is the law at moment. I know there are still Brits who think an NIE is residency or alternatively have letters in Spanish they misunderstood due to poor translation apps. For example, some clearly think having rent agreements or house deeds or letters saying their residency application is being processed are sufficient documents. Unfortunately they are not
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 1:27 pm
Banned

Old Apr 2nd 2021, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Yes I would definitely read between the lines. For example, at no point do they talk about those passengers who were allowed to enter because they did have documents. It was couched by the Express, Mail, Sun etc as though the Spanish were preventing all Brits from entering but it doesnt actually say that if you read it. Basically it seemed suggest there were a number of people who didn't have TIEs or proof of residency who weren't allowed in- and that is the law at moment. I know there are still Brits who think an NIE is residency or alternatively have letters in Spanish they misunderstood due to poor translation apps. For example, some clearly think having rent agreements or house deeds or letters saying their residency application is being processed are sufficient documents. Unfortunately they are not
Totally agree .
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Brexit started happening well over 4 years ago.
We arrived in mid August and got all the paperwork sorted and residencia submitted by mid november. My driving licence was exchanged as well. Lots of other new arrivals managed to sort their legal status on time.
So why should those who have been here years get special treatment, or even an amnesty?

Legally anyone from the EU (including at the time UK) HAD to apply for residency after having been in the country more than 3 months. Lots didn't because they carried on driving Uk plated cars, didn't want to pay tax (which is stupid as they were paying Non Residence Tax anyway), or join the health service.

My FIL came here nearly 20 years ago and he was saying residency then was so simple to do.

Its not the EU's fault that many who didn't register would not even be able to comply with the requirements before brexit (as some would have been living on just a UK OAP and no healthcare). We had to show 3 months bank statements (in Spain) €9000 each in a Spanish account and paid up private healthcare for the year. This was for Alicante, which was the hardest region.
It now appears that, they are being the same with Uk arrivals at the airport. Strange really when the largest Uk resident population is in the Alicante area. Or maybe it not strange at all!!!!!! (sorry about the exclamation marks, an author I knew once, had an opinion about that)
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bobd22
​​​​​​But they did by telling such people to legalise their situation by obtaining residency
​​​​
"Such people", who? Are you referring to British expats in UK or EU citizens in UK? There is no concept of registered "residency" in UK and the Settled Status scheme is independent from the previous Permanent Residence scheme. All EU citizens have to do is download an Android app and take a picture of themselves. Why couldn't the EU do the same for British expats?
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee

Does you have a source for that?
https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...eme-statistics

• overall, the total number of applications received up to 28 February 2021 was 5,175,100
  • overall, the total number of applications concluded up to 28 February 2021 was 4,807,900
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

"Such people", who? Are you referring to British expats in UK or EU citizens in UK? There is no concept of registered "residency" in UK and the Settled Status scheme is independent from the previous Permanent Residence scheme. All EU citizens have to do is download an Android app and take a picture of themselves. Why couldn't the EU do the same for British expats?
Probably because the incompetents who were handling Brexit didn't know what they were doing, and just reported in the MSM and from Parliament about the 'sunlit uplands' which would miraculously appear, and so many people believed those promises as they did with the Brexit lies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.