Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Old Mar 30th 2021, 7:13 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

I think you exaggerate the contribution expats make to GDP.

Old Mar 30th 2021, 7:30 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

They might let people leave a few days late without any black mark against their name (at least until ETIAS automates everything) but I'm pretty sure they won't let it turn into a cachondeo.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
who knows why this government does anything, BUT, it has been on the cards for a number of years, and has never got past the mentioning it phase.
I seem to remember it was something started by Cameron around 2015?
Old Mar 31st 2021, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
I think you exaggerate the contribution expats make to GDP.

I agree but at the same time disagree.

Agree, it is not a huge contribution to the GDP, but at a local level in can hit hard at businesses that cater for the expat market.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hughandi
I agree but at the same time disagree.

Agree, it is not a huge contribution to the GDP, but at a local level in can hit hard at businesses that cater for the expat market.
And that expat market would have remained stable had those who chose not to register actually complied with the law and registered.

I can appreciate that the local economy will lose some trade, but I suspect they were more aware than those Brits who failed to register.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Simple fact is had the people who lived under the radar done things correctly by obtaining residencia, then everyone would have been winners. The Spanish government would have gained from getting the tax they were due, local economy would gain from the same spending they would make either way and they would gain by being legal and allowed to stay with same perks as pre Brexit. I have no sympathy for such people they played the game they chose and must now accept the consequences.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Simple fact is had the people who lived under the radar done things correctly by obtaining residencia, then everyone would have been winners. The Spanish government would have gained from getting the tax they were due, local economy would gain from the same spending they would make either way and they would gain by being legal and allowed to stay with same perks as pre Brexit. I have no sympathy for such people they played the game they chose and must now accept the consequences.
Yup. And some of the same people wanting sympathy for the locals are the ones who are screwing the locals over by not legalising their residency when they should have, even after constant reminders.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I generally agree with the above there are also those who could not meet even the old criteria.
That they were tolerated by the authorities encouraged them and, in some sense, who could blame them? I know that I'd rather spend my pension on renting, for example, a caravan in Benidorm not a council flat in Blackburn. I don't think that you hear so much from them.
Those fly by nights running businesses, doing "airport runs" and the other activities have none of my sympathy and deserve all that's coming
Old Mar 31st 2021, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
Whilst I generally agree with the above there are also those who could not meet even the old criteria.
That they were tolerated by the authorities encouraged them and, in some sense, who could blame them? I know that I'd rather spend my pension on renting, for example, a caravan in Benidorm not a council flat in Blackburn. I don't think that you hear so much from them.
Those fly by nights running businesses, doing "airport runs" and the other activities have none of my sympathy and deserve all that's coming
I accept your comment but unless you can meet your basic obligations you shouldn't be here or if you are and the wheel comes off so to speak then such people have to accept the outcome rather than bleating to the press looking for a sympathetic view from authorities. No matter what one says what was coming wasn't hidden certainly over the last 12 or 18 months. Yes I used to hear people here say it won't happen we won't leave. However writing was on the wall certainly once Boris took the reigns.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I also think Spain did make it simple to comply with what was required. Not sure how other countries dealt with it? Certainly it was both more straightforward for those of us living legally in Spain to remain and less costly than for EU citizens to remain in the UK from what I've read. Plus I doubt in the UK there would be much sympathy shown for EU citizens that couldn't meet the UK's criteria to stay.
​​​
Old Mar 31st 2021, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

Spain? corruption and money talks...
Old Apr 1st 2021, 1:55 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, that didn't take long..!

Germany deports three British electricians for Brexit rule breach

Old Apr 1st 2021, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
WOW, that didn't take long..!

Germany deports three British electricians for Brexit rule breach

Do you have a link for this?
Old Apr 1st 2021, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bitmanev
Spain? corruption and money talks...
yep. Wealthy undocumented expats will definitely find a way in a place like Spain where money talks. Tbh I hope they do send all the dregs and idiots that are in Spain causing constant headaches in areas like Marbella. Brexit will help Spain in that sense. Britain has also been doing the same with undocumented Europeans which just come to Britain to traffic drugs. London is fully controlled by the Albanian mafia. They used to get dodgy Italian passports by paying back handers so they could reside in the UK. Can’t see those Italian papers working anymore lol.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How accurate this is I don't know as it is the Mirror, I like the bit where it says they had armed police present, errr fairly normal to have police at the airport and all Spanish police are armed, but let's make it sound more dramatic than it is. Thing is it looks like they do intend to impose the rules and where easier than at the airport. Another point mentioned in the article that doesn't ring true to me is "People with letters telling them to collect their residency cards were denied entry". However its been discussed on a number of threads that when you apply for a TIE or an exchange to TIE you get no letter or information sent telling you the card is ready for collection? Rather they either tell you at time of application when to make an appointment to collect or wait at least 45 days to do that.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...spain-23832596

Last edited by bobd22; Apr 1st 2021 at 9:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.