Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Old Mar 21st 2021, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Under the radar? Be afraid, (some) be VERY afraid!

Originally Posted by Fred James
That article gives the impression that they are only after criminals, hence the 500 figure. However they already know how to find them and deal with them, but they would need training a bit if it was the overstayers and unregistered that they were after.

I hope they do try and get rid of the illegals as well as the criminals, but I’m not going to get my hopes up. They have never done anything about the thousands of illegal Brit vehicles in Spain. Any white van with a UK plate is 99.9% likely to be illegal but they still get away with it. Also, any UK plated car in Spain after April 1st is likely to be owned by an overstayer or illegal.
The article does say the 500 will include all Brits who haven't applied for or obtained residency.

Although it’s not just criminals the Spanish police will be after, it will be all British nationals that haven’t applied or obtain residency to which the Spanish police force expects to be at least 500 persons.Failure to return to the UK will see offenders fined heavily, deported with likelihood bans on returning to EU destinations.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I know it says that, but if you are talking about Brits under the radar, 50000 would be a more realistic figure.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I know it says that, but if you are talking about Brits under the radar, 50000 would be a more realistic figure.
I think it's just a small area they're starting with, and I suspect the next area will be another 500, and so on....
Old Mar 21st 2021, 11:26 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

OK, worked it out, call all British illegals 'Zebedee' of MAGIC ROUNDABOUT fame...

Keeps it simple...

Old Mar 21st 2021, 11:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

But the last word in the clip is tomorrow and we all know what that means.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2021, 11:38 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary, next time, tell me something I don't know...
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

They have never done anything about the thousands of illegal Brit vehicles in Spain.

That might have been true in the past but until now they've had little incentive.

Any white van with a UK plate is 99.9% likely to be illegal but they still get away with it have been getting away with it.

Also, any UK plated car in Spain after April 1st is likely to be owned by an overstayer or illegal.

Certainly any found being driven, I wouldn't relish the idea of being one roadside check away from arrest, detention, and deportation.
Also just in the past few weeks I've heard two first hand accounts of UK regged cars being lifted from the road outside non resident currently absent owners properties which would seem to suggest that post Brexit Trafico still have access to DVLA records in which case targeted stops are a real possibility.

Old Mar 22nd 2021, 6:39 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
It’s worked in favour for the UK as they have been easier able to drive out the Albanian Mafia that run the drug trade in UK. Also the the Lithuanians that were heavily involved with drug importation in the UK.
When did that happen?

And - if it's true - why wasn't it possible to have done so while we were still a member of the EU? Albania isn't even an EU member state.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Initially aimed at criminals and those with something to have run away from the suggested spot checks in popular Brit watering holes should keep more than a few afraid and awake at night, 500 can only represent the tip of a very big iceberg!

https://global247news.com/2021/03/09...-costa-blanca/
Well theres a turn up for the books... i cant help a little smile.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 11:00 pm
Banned

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-22/...w-brexit-rules

Squeaky bum time, for some...
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
I saw that on TV last night what a non report. You would think somehow the changes because of Brexit had been hidden from people and that only UK should impose controls not the EU actually apply controls to UK after it left. The rules are there if people don't comply they have to accept any consequences applied there was ample warning of what was coming .
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 9:16 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the donkey sanctuary woman is doing. She's been here since the start of the year, if she really wanted residency she had to apply for a visa while she was in the UK (which wasn't possible anyway due to Covid).
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 10:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It all boils down to the fact that many voting 'leave' did so thinking that things would affect only those wanting to come to the UK, but it wouldn't affect the brits wanting to move to EU countries or those already living illegally there.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 10:35 am
Banned

For the life of me I cannot even understand why someone who had left the UK to start a new life in Spain, would vote for Brexit.

Appears to be a complete contradiction to me...

I like the rest of all you who have left the UK and taken up residency here in Spain, can still vote in UK referenda and elections, FOR 15 YEARS, after we left!
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

For the life of me I cannot even understand why someone who had left the UK to start a new life in Spain, would vote for Brexit.

Appears to be a complete contradiction to me...

I like the rest of all you who have left the UK and taken up residency here in Spain, can still vote in UK referenda and elections, FOR 15 YEARS, after we left!
They were told illegal immigrants and EU workers were coming to the UK to steal jobs and claim benefits...

Many of those in Spain who voted Leave are likely some of the same ones who are illegal migrants 'under the radar' in Spain.

Ironic, if that's the case...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.