British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   UK TV in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-tv-spain-913145/)

MikeJ May 24th 2018 11:41 pm

UK TV in Spain

What effect, if any, has the change in rules in April about cross border internet TV had on the availability of UK TV. Do we still need a VPN or DNS?

The Guy May 25th 2018 6:15 am

Re: UK TV in Spain

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12504816)
What effect, if any, has the change in rules in April about cross border internet TV had on the availability of UK TV. Do we still need a VPN or DNS?

Sure this has a thread on it on here, but here goes.
Pay TV services via the internet can now be watched without the need of VPN / DNS service for most "portable" devices (eg Sky Go, Netflix), for a LIMITED number of days.
For example, Sky Go is available for approx 35 days. After that then the device needs to be reconnected via a UK IP address. (more here https://www.sky.com/help/articles/st...tent-in-the-eu )
This is because these rules are more for travelers and not permanent expats.
The rules do not apply for free services, like iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, etc.
And no idea if Brexit will mean these changes will continue to apply or not

murfmeister May 30th 2018 6:15 pm

try www.easyview.eu

Has quite a few of the UK channels and is hassle free - I don't work for them by the way :)... I just couldn't be bothered to set up a VPN in Germany and it worked fine there.

MikeJ May 30th 2018 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by murfmeister (Post 12507950)
try www.easyview.eu

Has quite a few of the UK channels and is hassle free - I don't work for them by the way :)... I just couldn't be bothered to set up a VPN in Germany and it worked fine there.

Beware the above link infected my machine, don't click

murfmeister May 30th 2018 8:27 pm

huge apologies - I just typed the address as I always do. Just tried it from my laptops(2 Macs, a windows laptop and my iphone just to be sure) and the address is fine.

murfmeister May 30th 2018 8:52 pm

I've just checked TrustPilot and the facebook pages for easyview and there are no reported malware issues - nobody likes to be accused of posting an infected link...

Dxf May 30th 2018 9:16 pm

Hola

Worked OK in WIndows but Android reported virus and was insistent about it

Davexf

murfmeister May 30th 2018 9:20 pm

Don't have android, so can't confirm/deny - thanks anyway Dave for validating the non-android link ;)

Annetje May 30th 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12507961)
Beware the above link infected my machine, don't click

Watched it for a while now and never had a problem.

MikeJ May 30th 2018 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 12508038)
Hola

Worked OK in WIndows but Android reported virus and was insistent about it

Davexf

I opened the link on my Android and it reported a virus and gave me a 4 min countdown to click another link or all my data on my memory, discs and SIMs would be erased _ I didn't, but ran Norton anti-virus which reported no virus. Sorry murfmeister but that's what happened, and I tried it again with the same result. Looked like the start of a ransom virus.

bobd22 May 31st 2018 8:41 am

The link does exactly as Mike says on Android. However personally I have had this before with Android and to me it seems to be that it initiates a pop up link trying to get you to download some form of virus cleaner which may in itself lead to a virus. I don't think the TV link is in fact infected certainly whenever this has happened to me there has been no virus, I never open the link to the so called virus cleaner.

murfmeister May 31st 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12508100)
I opened the link on my Android and it reported a virus and gave me a 4 min countdown to click another link or all my data on my memory, discs and SIMs would be erased _ I didn't, but ran Norton anti-virus which reported no virus. Sorry murfmeister but that's what happened, and I tried it again with the same result. Looked like the start of a ransom virus.

No worries Mike - I'll be more detailed with 'tested' OS's next time ;)

MikeJ May 31st 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by murfmeister (Post 12508322)
No worries Mike - I'll be more detailed with 'tested' OS's next time ;)

Although, of course, it may well host a bot or Trojan on Windows which is currently invisible waiting for its payload but has been detected by the superior protection of Android ! 🤣🤣

murfmeister May 31st 2018 11:20 am

Now that's funny ;) - But you're right, Windows is c**p lol

Fred James Jun 4th 2018 7:41 pm

Just buy a receiver for i907 and get all the UK PSB channels in HD free. Installation costs including new 80cm dish is about €300 or less and no monthly charges.

It works particularly well in Southern Spain where the Sky satellites do not allow reception apart from on aa HUGE dish.