Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK TV legal but inexpensive.

UK TV legal but inexpensive.

Old Apr 16th 2019, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TV legal but inexpensive.

These days there are 'catch up' channels which are free over the internet and should provide you with a glut of UK broadcasts. You will need a reasonable internet connection and to install a VPN, after that just go and fill your boots. Plug your laptop into your TV, or buy a used PC base unit/wireless keyboard and mouse and plug that in.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 9:47 am
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Skycards.eu.......what a massive rip off. As has been said previously nothing to do with SKY .......
Old Apr 16th 2019, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This is not bad for most UK channels live. Not the cleanest of interfaces but each channel generally has a number of links some require VPN some don't.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.uktvradio
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

NowTV is a good solution and is dirt cheap. Unless you want some of the Sky channels there is no charge. You do not need a VPN router, a Smart DNS subscription works fine on a basic router and that's about €3/mth.

There is now a NowTV stick which is much better to use than the old box and is WiFi. The basic box is not WiFi and is no longer available. You have to buy them in the UK though. Another excellent alternative is the Basic.Amazon TV Firestick. Available from Amazon Spain for €39.99. A better box is the 4K Fire TV stick which has voice controls and the ability to watch in 4K if appropriate. Not currently available in Spain, but cheap enough to get posted here. Its 49.99 GBP. I use all three boxes. There is also now a 4K NowTV stick that is equivalent to the FireTV 4K.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
NowTV is a good solution and is dirt cheap. Unless you want some of the Sky channels there is no charge. You do not need a VPN router, a Smart DNS subscription works fine on a basic router and that's about €3/mth.

There is now a NowTV stick which is much better to use than the old box and is WiFi. The basic box is not WiFi and is no longer available. You have to buy them in the UK though. Another excellent alternative is the Basic.Amazon TV Firestick. Available from Amazon Spain for €39.99. A better box is the 4K Fire TV stick which has voice controls and the ability to watch in 4K if appropriate. Not currently available in Spain, but cheap enough to get posted here. Its 49.99 GBP. I use all three boxes. There is also now a 4K NowTV stick that is equivalent to the FireTV 4K.
I agree that the Nowtv box is an excellent device I have the second generation black box one. I have a free VPN provided with my internet and I find using that and Nowtv is probably the most stable way to watch main UK channels and of course you can get catch up on it as well, very rarely do I get buffering with it and picture is excellent. A good tip for buying the box is use eBay. Often the boxes are sold off with no package included for £8 to £10 that's how I got mine.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Fred, why do you use all of these? Is one better than another for certain channels or definition, for example. If you had to choose one to watch the bog standard hi def channels 1, 2 3, 4 and 5 what would it be?
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It’s sort of worked out that way over time. I started with an early NowTv box, then upgraded to the next one and now the stick as it is WiFi. The FireTv is the latest addition and that’s my favourite at the moment as it handles 4K and I can tell it what I want to watch - no more keying in details! I’ve even got an old Android IPTV box somewhere in my cupboard.

I also have an Apple TV box which is excellent as all my other stuff is Apple and I subscribe to Apple Music. Their new TV app brings all the options into one place.

Most of the time I watch UK TV in brilliant HD quality on my 55” 4K TV using the Intelsat 907 satellite. The receiver I use has a full EPG and I can record all the channels at the same time. I think that answers your question. You don’t get catchup on that, but hopefully you have recorded it anyway. You also get the UK radio channels which I listen to most of the day when at home. If I forget to record something then I use the other boxes for catchup.

Just to add even more options, I watch all the Sky channels on SkyGo using my daughters subscription in the UK (they allow you to watch on 6 devices, I just use 2 of them). They do not allow you to connect it to a TV so I watch it on my 27” iMac or my iPad Pro in bed.

So, I get everything I need in the best picture quality and do not pay a cent for it (apart from 3€ a month for a SmartDNS service) . I think that can be described as inexpensive!

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 17th 2019 at 6:38 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 8:35 am
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

There is also now a 4K NowTV stick that is equivalent to the FireTV 4K.
No there isn't, there is a NowTV 4K Box which was launched recently but certainly NO 4K Stick available

Last edited by thegolfer; Apr 18th 2019 at 8:51 am.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by thegolfer
No there isn't, there is a NowTV 4K Box which was launched recently but certainly NO 4K Stick available
So whats this then?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-4K-Ultra-Hd-With-Alexa-Voice-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B079QB9BD7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=fire+tv+stick&qid=1555581233&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Old Apr 18th 2019, 10:17 am
Banned

That is an Amazon 4K Firestick which is not in any way shape or form a NOWTV 4K stick which you state is available....totally different product and company!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2019, 10:42 am

Sorry, when I mentioned a NowTV 4K device I was actually referring to the new NowTv Smart Box which is 4K.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 10:55 am
Banned

Sorry, when I mentioned a NowTV 4K device I was actually referring to the new NowTv Smart Box which is 4K.
Yes I have both the NowTV 4K box along with the Amazon Firestick 4K. So when you posted that NowTV were supplying a 4K Stick I knew that this wasn't the case. Personally I much prefer the Amazon 4K Stick and only use the NowTV for a few Sky progs such as Billions and the occasional Sports event. I find BBC Iplayer far quicker to load similarly ITV hub plus many more options with the Amazon product for apps and sideloading etc.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tvcatchup was quite a good app for standard UK channels but it has been down for some weeks and it would appear that this will be permanent.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by thegolfer
Yes I have both the NowTV 4K box along with the Amazon Firestick 4K. So when you posted that NowTV were supplying a 4K Stick I knew that this wasn't the case. Personally I much prefer the Amazon 4K Stick and only use the NowTV for a few Sky progs such as Billions and the occasional Sports event. I find BBC Iplayer far quicker to load similarly ITV hub plus many more options with the Amazon product for apps and sideloading etc.
I expect there will be a 4K Nowtv stick soon as their 4K box is a Roku box and they do a stick version as far as I know.

Yes, the main advantage of NowTv over the others is access to Sky TV if that’s what you want. It could be useful for temporary viewing such as F1 on Sky sports or the occasional Golf or cricket. SkyGo is good but it won’t let you stream to a tv. I have tried it on my iMac and that can, in theory, let you use AirPlay to stream it to an Apple TV and thence onto the TV but I found there were audio problems with doing this.

I haven’t got into side loading the Firestick but I have heard it works well. Yes, it does seem to load iPlayer faster, but I think that the processors in the TVs are very slow. It’s the same with the Network/WiFi adaptors in the TV. I have just got 600mb/s fibre and the best I can get on the TV with a direct connection is about 50mb/s. More than adequate, but I would have expected a much faster connection.

Another option which I have which I haven’t mentioned is Movistar TV +. This came with the fibre connection and gives all the Spanish channels plus a few more. They have a huge range of chargeable options which can put the monthly fee up to €150/mth. I got a free 4 month sub to all the football channels, some in 4K, but I’m not into Spanish TV or football so I will cancel it after the trial. Very good quality though and a good interface.

Getting back to the original question, I have far more free, high picture quality, TV than I have time to watch, and none of requires a subscription and the hardware to do it is very cheap.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 8:24 pm
Banned

I expect there will be a 4K Nowtv stick soon as their 4K box is a Roku box and they do a stick version as far as I know.

Yes, the main advantage of NowTv over the others is access to Sky TV if that’s what you want. It could be useful for temporary viewing such as F1 on Sky sports or the occasional Golf or cricket. SkyGo is good but it won’t let you stream to a tv. I have tried it on my iMac and that can, in theory, let you use AirPlay to stream it to an Apple TV and thence onto the TV but I found there were audio problems with doing this.

I haven’t got into side loading the Firestick but I have heard it works well. Yes, it does seem to load iPlayer faster, but I think that the processors in the TVs are very slow. It’s the same with the Network/WiFi adaptors in the TV. I have just got 600mb/s fibre and the best I can get on the TV with a direct connection is about 50mb/s. More than adequate, but I would have expected a much faster connection.

Another option which I have which I haven’t mentioned is Movistar TV +. This came with the fibre connection and gives all the Spanish channels plus a few more. They have a huge range of chargeable options which can put the monthly fee up to €150/mth. I got a free 4 month sub to all the football channels, some in 4K, but I’m not into Spanish TV or football so I will cancel it after the trial. Very good quality though and a good interface.

Getting back to the original question, I have far more free, high picture quality, TV than I have time to watch, and none of requires a subscription and the hardware to do it is very cheap.
Had 600 fibre here for about 9 months was 300 previous with Movistar but I hard wire my LG Oled TV and Nowtv box and Firestick with Cat 7 cables as my router is convenient for this. Most TV'S Still only support 100mbps on their ethernet ports, but stable and plenty enough for current 4K content and mine does run at full 100mbps. My iMac Pro and Macbook pro's run at 550 + up and down wirelessly however often at busy times the upstream throttles back to 350 ish but download never falters. The only sport I tend to watch is F1 on Skygo on the Mac. Had the Movistar tv package a while back and agree great quality but totally superfluous to my needs. Again like you for no cost apart from Smart dns which I've had for a few years after getting disgruntled when Smarty couldn't sort their issues out with BBC Iplayer. My current deal was $19.99 for the year with Smartdns....coming up for renewal in May so be interesting to see if they'll offer the same deal ...but even at full price its a great deal for what it does. Agree fully the options are there to have so much high quality (as in picture quality) TV for next to nothing money wise than ever before.

Last edited by thegolfer; Apr 18th 2019 at 8:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.