British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   UK TV legal but inexpensive. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-tv-legal-but-inexpensive-923963/)

Luz liver Apr 8th 2019 2:42 pm

UK TV legal but inexpensive.

Anyone know how to get the above?

snikpoh Apr 8th 2019 3:19 pm

Re: UK TV legal but inexpensive.

Freesat - but depends where you are as to what size of dish you'll need

missile Apr 8th 2019 4:49 pm

Get a decent broadband provider. All the channels you could possibly want and more are available via WWW

bob_day Apr 8th 2019 5:45 pm

Many different ways to do this. Personally we use internet and a subscription with transponder.tv. Works like a charm.

​​​There are many other apps that give you uk tv such as bbc, itv, channel 4 players. Then theres tvplayer. To use these you will need vpn or dns redirection ad they are geo-restricted to uk. Again not an issue as a suitable service, and we use smartdnsproxy which costs only a few pounds a month.

You can also use free apps like mobdro, which can be a bit hit and miss, but the you get what you pay for.

You can get a suitable satellite receiver and watch the main channels on Intelsat, but have no personal experience with this.

You didn't mention where in spain you are located. If in the northern parts you may with a suitable dish still get freesat from Astra.

Loads of options

Dxf Apr 8th 2019 5:57 pm

Hola

If you are in the Costa Esuri then internet TV is the answer with apps like TV Tap Pro or Mobdro

Davexf

The Guy Apr 9th 2019 6:30 am

"UK TV legal but inexpensive" - via Freesat, but this does depends where you are in Spain, as this will determine the size if dish required. Non subscription, live, legal and direct from the broadcasters.
Otherwise, you will be looking at the "grey" legal area of VPN / Smart DNS (small subscription required - 50euros a year ish) and accessing the broadcasters online services, like iPlayer, Hub etc
Otherwise you will be looking at "non legal" options, like the Intelsat satellite option (not for public use and requires hacking into encrpyted signals), or IPTV or streaming via various third parties (ie not direct from the broadcasters) and apps.

Timmy Chch Apr 9th 2019 5:42 pm

If you have access to your own sky box in UK (If a mate has a spare one in a room they hardly use say)then for the cost of a swingplayer box (no dish required, just the free app and you'd need a Chromecast to beam from your phone/iPad to tv) then Google swingplayer. 100% legal and no ongoing costs. It's fiddly using your phone as a sky remote but it works ok, can even record etc

snikpoh Apr 11th 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch (Post 12668211)
If you have access to your own sky box in UK (If a mate has a spare one in a room they hardly use say)then for the cost of a swingplayer box (no dish required, just the free app and you'd need a Chromecast to beam from your phone/iPad to tv) then Google swingplayer. 100% legal and no ongoing costs. It's fiddly using your phone as a sky remote but it works ok, can even record etc

Why not simply install a dish and a FreeSat box - quite legal and no messing around with poor internet etc.

Timmy Chch Apr 12th 2019 8:29 am

Original poster said inexpensive. I bought a box for 100ish quid I think and ponce my oldies sky tv, all legal. Most peeps have pretty decent internet subscription already and satellite dish installation won't be cheap, especially if rural

snikpoh Apr 12th 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch (Post 12669557)
Original poster said inexpensive. I bought a box for 100ish quid I think and ponce my oldies sky tv, all legal. Most peeps have pretty decent internet subscription already and satellite dish installation won't be cheap, especially if rural

Roughly 300€ for installation and cost of dish. Then no ongoing costs and no internet costs.

Rural locations tend to have problems getting good internet signal but the satellite is always there

Dxf Apr 12th 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12668930)
Why not simply install a dish and a FreeSat box - quite legal and no messing around with poor internet etc.

Hola
Unfortunately satellite doesn't cover all of Spain - especially towards Portugal

Davexf

Fred James Apr 12th 2019 10:10 am

And the whole of the south coast up to Almeria. Many down here use Intelsat 907 for BBC ITV C4/5.

dairymaid Apr 16th 2019 8:13 am

While not cheap I´ve settled on a solution which gives me UK netflix, all the BBC and ITVs, channel 5 and 4 (4 = catchup) plus access to NOW TV packages. Works out around 30 euros a month.
Take a look at:-
https://www.skycards.eu/

Fred James Apr 16th 2019 9:07 am

It looks like a ripoff to me. They are selling a NOWTV box for 99GBP which you can buy in the UK for 15. Also they have nothing whatsoever to do with Sky. They also force you to buy a VPN router which you dont need.

dairymaid Apr 16th 2019 9:27 am

We paid just under 66 pounds for the NOWTV box and the VPN router. You need the router to get Netflix UK. The sky channels come via the NOWTV box and you choose a package that suits you (entertainment, sports etc.) I also find having a UK router very handy for various searches, buying on amazon UK etc. Having tried every other option over the years we find this just perfect.