Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK TV legal but inexpensive.

UK TV legal but inexpensive.

Old May 5th 2019, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

paulbarny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK TV legal but inexpensive.

Originally Posted by thegolfer
Yes I have both the NowTV 4K box along with the Amazon Firestick 4K. So when you posted that NowTV were supplying a 4K Stick I knew that this wasn't the case. Personally I much prefer the Amazon 4K Stick and only use the NowTV for a few Sky progs such as Billions and the occasional Sports event. I find BBC Iplayer far quicker to load similarly ITV hub plus many more options with the Amazon product for apps and sideloading etc.
just read through this topic and some others but still unclear about a few things.. Do you need a VPN router to use the Now TV stick/box? I have a Nord VPN account but would need to buy an expensive router if this was the case as Nord have recently shut down some of there ports and its now only available on the more expensive routers. I am moving to Alicante and would like to keep watching the EPL/Ryder cup/ cricket etc on sky sports. Are these sports available as add-ons on the moviestar plus? (except it will be Spanish commentary) or can I hook up my old skybox and call sky and re-activate my account? I have heard DAZN have the EPL rights for 2019 at only $5 euro a month (Spanish commentary). But ideally I want everything under one company or package and preferably in English
Old May 5th 2019, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Got a mate or family who's got all the sky channels? If you pay their subscription for an extra box then you can hook a sling player box onto it then you get freedom of that box (you control it over an app on phone - it stays in uk). Yes it's a tiny bit fiddly but for price and access to channels, can record etc, I still reckon it's best option here offered, see my earlier post. No vpns needed, all legal (Not getting shut down), cost is the box and maybe an extra box subscription
Old May 5th 2019, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Timmy Chch;12679662]Got a mate or family who's got all the sky channels? If you pay their subscription for an extra box then you can hook a sling player box onto it then you get freedom of that box (you control it over an app on phone - it stays in uk). Yes it's a tiny bit fiddly but for price and access to channels, can record etc, I still reckon it's best option here offered

Thanks, I've got some amazon vouchers so think I will get now TV and use dns/vpn and hope it keeps working and this will be a good backup option if ever gets shut down.
Old May 6th 2019, 5:51 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulbarny
Do you need a VPN router to use the Now TV stick/box?
Yes
I am moving to Alicante and would like to keep watching the EPL/Ryder cup/ cricket etc on sky sports. Are these sports available as add-ons on the moviestar plus? (except it will be Spanish commentary)
EPL is on DAZN from next season in Spain
Ryder Cup is on Movistar+
Dont think anyone in Spain shows cricket

or can I hook up my old skybox and call sky and re-activate my account?
As long asyou have the right sized dish for where you are, and it is aligned to the uk tv satellites, then yes, you can use your Sky box and card.

I have heard DAZN have the EPL rights for 2019 at only $5 euro a month (Spanish commentary).
Yes.
DAZN have EPL for the next few seasons in Spain. They have the rights for all games, but not all will be live, as usually all but one 3pm Saturday kickoff game is restricted in the EU (ie only one 3pm is shown in the EU). They will probably show these blocked games in full on a delay. They will have Spanish commentary, but the EPL do supply English commentary, but it is unknown if DAZN will offer this.

But ideally I want everything under one company or package and preferably in English
You dont even get that in the UK, (EPL is Sky, BT, Amazon, cricket is Sky and BT)...the only way you will get all those in english on one package is via an internet streaming / "iptv" service...which obvioulsy does not come direct from the broadcasters, but third parties.
Old May 6th 2019, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a strange thing BBCi player is now working perfectly on both my android box and nowtv box without the need to block location. ITV Hub etc still need the location to be blocked. Has there been a recent change of BBC policy?
Old May 6th 2019, 7:59 am
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

just read through this topic and some others but still unclear about a few things.. Do you need a VPN router to use the Now TV stick/box? I have a Nord VPN account but would need to buy an expensive router if this was the case as Nord have recently shut down some of there ports and its now only available on the more expensive routers. I am moving to Alicante and would like to keep watching the EPL/Ryder cup/ cricket etc on sky sports. Are these sports available as add-ons on the moviestar plus? (except it will be Spanish commentary) or can I hook up my old skybox and call sky and re-activate my account? I have heard DAZN have the EPL rights for 2019 at only $5 euro a month (Spanish commentary). But ideally I want everything under one company or package and preferably in English
Yes you need VPN or DNS provider. I use DNS (smartdnsproxy) as I change DNS in my Movistar router so that all devices are covered plus no need for an expensive vpn router. I use DNS as it doesn't slow the speeds like a VPN. No idea regarding Movistar plus as I don't use it. Sky sports you can subscribe as per normal by buying packages.
Old May 6th 2019, 8:27 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dairymaid
While not cheap I´ve settled on a solution which gives me UK netflix, all the BBC and ITVs, channel 5 and 4 (4 = catchup) plus access to NOW TV packages. Works out around 30 euros a month.
Take a look at:-
https://www.skycards.eu/
Selling these boxes etc is now illegal in the EU..
Old May 6th 2019, 8:41 am
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Selling these boxes etc is now illegal in the EU..
And the quality of the streams is invariably shite and £99 for the NOWTV box that you can buy everywhere else for £45......absolute con company that has nothing to do with SKY

Last edited by thegolfer; May 6th 2019 at 8:46 am.
Old May 6th 2019, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of brand new Nowtv boxes on eBay around £20. I have two which I bought a couple of years ago off eBay one was £10 other £8 they work perfectly for BBC and ITV live or catch up and channel 4 and 5 catch up. Great picture quality no monthly subscription to pay unless you want other things like Movies etc
Old May 6th 2019, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I will take my sky box and my now TV box is arriving today. I went for the box as I suspect the hardware is better than the small stick. My amazon fire stick is painfully slow. Hopefully I can find a signal with my sky box for live free to air channels and I will then have the choice of using sky subscription through Sky or Now TV with DNS.
Old May 6th 2019, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Now TV box arrived. One more question... Do you think I should carry on paying the BBC licence fee as I had to sign into Iplayer. Legally you are not suppose to watch Iplayer abroad so not sure what do on this. What do others do?
Old May 6th 2019, 3:18 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Here's a strange thing BBCi player is now working perfectly on both my android box and nowtv box without the need to block location. ITV Hub etc still need the location to be blocked. Has there been a recent change of BBC policy?
No change in policy...why would there be a change?
Maybe just a blip...they are perhaps testing things so turn on and off geoblocking at times maybe...
Old May 6th 2019, 3:24 pm

Now TV box arrived. One more question... Do you think I should carry on paying the BBC licence fee as I had to sign into Iplayer. Legally you are not suppose to watch Iplayer abroad so not sure what do on this. What do others do?
The UK TV tax is a tax to watch live tv (from any country), on any device, and access iPlayer. In the UK.
If you do not live in the UK, you do not need to pay the UK TV Tax - you simply must abide by the TV tax laws for the country you live in...
As far as I am aware, it is perfectly legal to use iPlayer abroad, nothing illegal about it. But it is against the iPlayer T&Cs to use it abroad, or without a TV license / Tax. They can try and stop you from using it (ie geoblocking), but you cannot be prosecuted for using it.
Old May 6th 2019, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Guy
The UK TV tax is a tax to watch live tv (from any country), on any device, and access iPlayer. In the UK.
If you do not live in the UK, you do not need to pay the UK TV Tax - you simply must abide by the TV tax laws for the country you live in...
As far as I am aware, it is perfectly legal to use iPlayer abroad, nothing illegal about it. But it is against the iPlayer T&Cs to use it abroad, or without a TV license / Tax. They can try and stop you from using it (ie geoblocking), but you cannot be prosecuted for using it.
Ok thanks. I notice you have a TV company in Costa Blanca/ Valencia etc. I will get in contact with you when I move in, as my long term preference is to watch as many channels as I can by satellite.
Old May 6th 2019, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Guy
No change in policy...why would there be a change..
I don't know thats why I asked. All I know is 6 weeks ago I used to need a VPN when I came back from UK I didn't for Iplayer but still do for ITV Hub and 4 and 5. It may be a blip who knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.