British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   UK tv (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-tv-949929/)

jackteet Nov 30th 2023 3:33 pm

UK tv

Hi, For many years we have recieved tvMucho and were happy with their service. As most will know they have been taken over by Teeveeing. We experience a great deal of buffering so have decided to go shopping for a tvmucho alternative. Just basic uk tv channels, no sport or film channels.
I would very much appreciate recos please. TIA

Fred James Nov 30th 2023 3:52 pm

Re: UK tv

You should be able to change the app settings on your TV to enable all the UK catchup apps such as BBC iPlayer. Itvx etc. You will need a smart DNS sit up on your router.

jackteet Nov 30th 2023 3:56 pm

Many thanks Fred, I shall have a look at that.

bob_day Nov 30th 2023 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 13228652)
You should be able to change the app settings on your TV to enable all the UK catchup apps such as BBC iPlayer. Itvx etc. You will need a smart DNS sit up on your router.

That is a solution, but personally i find it too much hassle to have to load a different app when i want to watch a diffetent channel.. Plus of course there's no overall epg.

Still using the new tvmucho as i had recently renewed my annual sub. Haven't had much buffering so far.

An alternative, which i must admit to only trying the eval of is hoola.tv.. Looked promising though

BristolUK Nov 30th 2023 6:19 pm

I thought that in Spain you just went to a bar and watched Only Fools and Horses :lol:

tebo53 Nov 30th 2023 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by jackteet (Post 13228648)
Hi, For many years we have recieved tvMucho and were happy with their service. As most will know they have been taken over by Teeveeing. We experience a great deal of buffering so have decided to go shopping for a tvmucho alternative. Just basic uk tv channels, no sport or film channels.
I would very much appreciate recos please. TIA

I had Tvmucho then the teeveeing app which I'm very happy with. No more buffering than I had with Tvmucho and that was minimal.

Steve

jackteet Nov 30th 2023 8:05 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. I now have options for which I am grateful

bobd22 Dec 1st 2023 8:39 am

I use a Nowtv box which I brought over from UK. I only use it for the free channels which are mainly BBC ,itv , 4 and 5 . You do get some other free ones like Pluto and Roku TV. To watch you need a VPN but I get that free with internet package. Unfortunately the Nowtv boxes are obsolete so not available but they still work fine for those that have them. The boxes are actually made by Roku and are excellent good picture etc. Roku do their own box now which gives much the same all main channels free and if one wants paid content. Their box is called Roku Express. I believe they are specific to country so you would need to buy a UK one. That would give you what you want all be it you would need a VPN in Spain. Here's info on the box
https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/...-ways-to-watch

bobd22 Dec 1st 2023 8:49 am

Currys in UK have the Roku box on sale for £19.99, if someone could get one and send it over.
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/ro...-10199751.html

bob_day Dec 1st 2023 11:41 am

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 13228788)
I use a Nowtv box which I brought over from UK. I only use it for the free channels which are mainly BBC ,itv , 4 and 5 . You do get some other free ones like Pluto and Roku TV. To watch you need a VPN but I get that free with internet package. Unfortunately the Nowtv boxes are obsolete so not available but they still work fine for those that have them. The boxes are actually made by Roku and are excellent good picture etc. Roku do their own box now which gives much the same all main channels free and if one wants paid content. Their box is called Roku Express. I believe they are specific to country so you would need to buy a UK one. That would give you what you want all be it you would need a VPN in Spain. Here's info on the box
https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/...-ways-to-watch

You don't need VPN to watch UK tv. Often providors like iplayer will block vpn access as 99 times out of 100 its an expat from somewhere accessing the service. An altenative, and preferable solution is to use DNS redirection service.

tebo53 Dec 1st 2023 11:45 am

It's not necessary to use VPN or DNS at all to get UK TV using the tv app "teeveeing"

Steve

bobd22 Dec 1st 2023 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by bob_day (Post 13228840)
You don't need VPN to watch UK tv. Often providors like iplayer will block vpn access as 99 times out of 100 its an expat from somewhere accessing the service. An altenative, and preferable solution is to use DNS redirection service.

You need something to make it look like you are in the UK that could be a VPN or the DNS redirection service . I use a VPN provided by my internet provider as part of my package . It works perfect without blocking or noticeable loss of speed. I'm happy others can choose what to use. Some set ups like the teeveeing system don't require anything to view other than subscription. I mentioned the Roku box as possible option for OP but to use it two things , you need to ensure you buy UK version of the box and you need some means of making it appear you are in the UK options for that VPN or DNS redirection.

bobd22 Dec 1st 2023 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 13228847)
You need something to make it look like you are in the UK that could be a VPN or the DNS redirection service . I use a VPN provided by my internet provider as part of my package . It works perfect without blocking or noticeable loss of speed. I'm happy others can choose what to use. Some set ups like the teeveeing system don't require anything to view other than subscription. I mentioned the Roku box as possible option for OP but to use it two things , you need to ensure you buy UK version of the box and you need some means of making it appear you are in the UK options for that VPN or DNS redirection.

I also think you are confusing what I mentioned with using dodgy IPTV providers ? The Roku box like the now TV box simply accessed the iPlayer TV now etc apps

astera Dec 1st 2023 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 13228652)

Another option is to set up SmartDNS on your device, for instance one of those little Apple TV boxes. Then all UK tv apps will run on the Apple TV but all other devices connected to the home router will run on regular (automatic) DNS settings.

bob_day Dec 1st 2023 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 13228847)

For sure. Aside from tje speed refuction with a vpn, which may not be relevant if you have a fast connection. But for some it means tje difference between streaming UHD and HD..

You're cirrect regarding teeveeing an hoola..

As an aside is there a teeveeing app for firestick? Initially i got update notifications when starting tvmucho app which i ignored as it was inconvenient times. These stopped a while ago. Yestetday thought I'd do the upgrade but there's no app in the Amazon app store.

Lastly realised that I forgot to mention Kapang for tv. Free and includes basic UK channels but you'll need dns or vpn. Works well enough tho.