British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Uk state pension payment to Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-state-pension-payment-spain-812255/)

petew Oct 15th 2013 10:53 pm

Uk state pension payment to Spain

Has anyone else noticed an apparent connection between public holidays in the USA and UK state pension payments to Spain. If there is a national holiday in the USA, the payment arrives at least one day late. For example, my wife's pension would normally be in our bank today (Tuesday) but it hasn't arrived. Monday 14 October was Columbus day in the USA, a national holiday. This had happened similarly quite a few times and we have concluded that there is a connection. Maybe the payments are handled by a U.S company ?? Maybe it's a figment of our imagination ? Not important but we are curious.

petew Oct 15th 2013 10:57 pm

Re: Uk state pension payemnt to Spain

PS does anyone know how to make a spelling correction in a thread title ?!

Mitzyboy Oct 15th 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Uk state pension payment to Spain

Yes, I did it for you :-)

I seem to remember reading at some time that the Government uses a system that is US based for payments, and so yes, you are probably right

HBG Oct 16th 2013 6:47 am

Perhaps it's got something to do with the US not being able to agree their budget? Apparently, if they don't agree it by tomorrow, all hell will break loose, on a world wide basis. They're down to their last 30 billion and can't borrow any more until they agree.

30 billion sounds a lot, but it only lasts them a couple of days.

petew Oct 16th 2013 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 10946076)
Yes, I did it for you :-)

I seem to remember reading at some time that the Government uses a system that is US based for payments, and so yes, you are probably right

In our case it's not a problem but I can imagine that it could be for others. Shouldn't the DWP at least warn people ? Maybe most people, like us, have figured it out by trial and error. I suppose the alternative is to have it paid into a UK account.

Thanks for the spelling correkshun.

lyric030250 Oct 17th 2013 10:54 am

My private pension also comes via the states and a holiday anywhere in the chain, UK, USA or especially Spain delays it.
It's paid on the first of the month but I have my DDs scheduled for around the 7th to allow for delays and weekends.

rafikiphoto Oct 17th 2013 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by petew (Post 10946537)
Shouldn't the DWP at least warn people ?

I think the DWP has enough pen-pushers without giving them an excuse to hire more.

jackytoo Oct 17th 2013 6:02 pm

Has it not occurred to any of you that Columbus day was a Public Holiday in Spain too:confused:

Fred James Oct 17th 2013 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10948982)
Has it not occurred to any of you that Columbus day was a Public Holiday in Spain too:confused:

In the US it was on the 14th as it is always the second Monday of October.

In Spain Columbus day is not celebrated as such - it is the Fiesta Nacional/Dia de la Hispanidad and it was on Saturday the 12th.

jackytoo Oct 17th 2013 8:29 pm

So the central banking system was not closed on the Monday? That is what usually happens with public holidays falling on a weekend.

Domino Oct 17th 2013 10:22 pm

Didn't Rajoy say that too many holidays are being taken and weekends extended to 4 or 5 days so BH's would be arranged to fall on weekends where possible ???

EsuriJohn Oct 18th 2013 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10949423)
Didn't Rajoy say that too many holidays are being taken and weekends extended to 4 or 5 days so BH's would be arranged to fall on weekends where possible ???

Yes! Have any of the local Fiestas followed this instruction?

Domino Oct 18th 2013 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 10949649)
Yes! Have any of the local Fiestas followed this instruction?

well we had a feria last weekend and all shops, businesses and schools stayed open at least until 2pm every day, many businesses worked from 4pm as normal for the Thurs & Fri before the weekend.
but everyone partied in the evening
:rofl:

EsuriJohn Aug 18th 2014 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Martineezz (Post 11372687)
all hell will break loose, on a world wide basis. They're down to their last 30 billion and can't borrow any more until they agree.

Who? What? Why?

MikeJ Aug 20th 2014 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 11372744)
Who? What? Why?

Apparently it's a Spambot :(