Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension - Has it Arrived?

UK State Pension - Has it Arrived?

Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension - Has it Arrived?

Originally Posted by petew
My wife's pension normally reaches our bank in Spain on a Tuesday but today hasn't arrived. Coincidence?? ?
As does mine, just checked and it's in Santander today but got 1.17€ so quite pleased at that
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by Michael74
As does mine, just checked and it's in Santander today but got 1.17€ so quite pleased at that
It's usually delayed if there's a bank holiday but don't know what has caused this slight hold-up. It's not so much the actual delay as the nervous anticipation of the hastle you would have if it's gone astray!!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK State Pension - Has it Arrived?

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
I shall be retiring in the not too distant future. Thought of having my state pension paid directly into my GB bank and using money transfer ( HiFX) to transfer it into my Spanish bank ( Unicaja) Is it better to have it paid directly into Spanish bank? From your posts this seems to be the case.
Pete
HMG seem to be able to better all exchange rates offered by the FX people but then they must buy millions of euro every day. Also no charges whatsoever even if you pension was just £100 a month. In my opinion best deal around.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Got ours on Wednesday - glad it wasn´t just our bank that was the problem. Phoned Newcastle and they said the payments are handled by an American bank Citi Bank and there was a bank holiday in the US on Thursday which was the date they were paid.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Not checked mine yet but in the past we find that if it is an English Bank Holiday then it can come a day early ie the Friday before.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Got ours on Wednesday - glad it wasn´t just our bank that was the problem. Phoned Newcastle and they said the payments are handled by an American bank Citi Bank and there was a bank holiday in the US on Thursday which was the date they were paid.
That just about sums up the DWPs' attitude towards its' "clients". Allow them to receive their pension a day late because it's a bank holiday in the USA!!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

I'm a bit bemused - probably my age - but I was told that my state pension was issued 13 times a year. That means that it never arrives on a given day, ie a Monday or whatever. I get my pension every 28 or so days and I programme this into my Hotmail calendar so that I can check my Spanish bank account and it always arrives about on time, bearing in mind weekends and such. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
I'm a bit bemused - probably my age - but I was told that my state pension was issued 13 times a year. That means that it never arrives on a given day, ie a Monday or whatever. I get my pension every 28 or so days and I programme this into my Hotmail calendar so that I can check my Spanish bank account and it always arrives about on time, bearing in mind weekends and such. Am I missing something?
You could of had it paid weekly instead of monthly.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
You could of had it paid weekly instead of monthly.
Yes I know but I have to pay a charge for each transaction and it is the same whether or not it is weekly or monthly. Monthly is cheaper.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know but I have to pay a charge for each transaction and it is the same whether or not it is weekly or monthly. Monthly is cheaper.
Why do you pay a transaction charge, you should get it paid into a Spanish bank for free ?
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is paid every four weeks on the same day. The day it gets paid depends on the day of the week is was first paid.

As jdr says, banks cannot charge for receiving an EU pension payment.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Why do you pay a transaction charge, you should get it paid into a Spanish bank for free ?
Thanks for that information - I'll check it out and come back.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
It is paid every four weeks on the same day. The day it gets paid depends on the day of the week is was first paid.
And that depends on the letters in your N.I. number, did you know that ?
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No but any more information on what letters are which day? It can be paid weekly in UK but only monthly and 13 weekly overseas.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
If you have it paid directly in to your Spanish bank in euros you get a better rate of exchange.
Just out of curiosity, are you able, please, to give an estimate of the difference (eg are we talking of £s or pence on a £400 pension; €1.17 is quoted above but that was a particulaly bad day for the Euro) and does "Newcastle" make the payment direct or through an agency.

Jim

Last edited by jiminalpago; Nov 18th 2011 at 4:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.