Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Uk to Spanish Driving licence

Uk to Spanish Driving licence

Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence

Obvious now you've said it Presumably passport-sized is what they're after?
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

When dealing with Spanish bureaucracy ALWAYS have copies AND originals with you but only produce originals if specifically demanded.

For an exchange you also need a doctors report which includes a sight and reaction test.

Honestly if you dont know what you're doing, and I'm sorry but it's apparent that you don't, then get a Gestor to do it all for you. Plenty about and it won't cost the earth.

Old Jun 22nd 2020, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lagoo
Obvious now you've said it Presumably passport-sized is what they're after?
I seem to remember they were smaller than passport sized. I had passport size photos but had to get new ones. I just went to local photographer I got about 10 photos for a few euros
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is correct smaller than passport, go to a photoshop, they know the right size.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you're both right - they want 32 x 26 mm.

Another item for the list is to fill in their form and print it off: Mod.03-ES.pdf
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

I had my appointment on Monday and it was straightforward enough once I knew what was required. I'm younger than the OP, and I'm sure there's regional differences. However below is my experience in case it helps others. There's also an excellent Jim guide.

What type of swap do you want?
It's a fluid situation, but at the moment there's two ways of changing your licence: canje or renovaciĆ³n
Canje: straight swap of licence (same expiry date)
RenovaciĆ³n: licence renewal with expiry date 5-10 years from now, depending on your age and condition. For this you'll need a medical.

Originally I was just going to swap my licence but I read elsewhere that if its expiry date is within about 2 years then you may as well renew it, save paying twice.

Appointment screen
Online https://sedeapl.dgt.gob.es:7443/WEB_...itarCita.faces For 'PaĆ­s' type r and it'll jump to Reino Unido.
Back in January I was having trouble finding an appointment. My Spanish friend called them to see if I was doing it correctly. They told her that appointments must be made online but that you can book one anywhere in the country. Of course now lockdown must be considered.

Medical
Can get a pdf list of medical centres here: Centros de Reconocimiento de Conductores; appointment was needed.
Apparently it's of a higher standard if you have categories above a car e.g. busses, lorries. However my test was straightforward.
Some people write that they had to take a videogame-type reaction test, but again that wasn't requested of me.
For me he just took my blood pressure, did a sight test, asked if I smoked and took a photo. All for just 47ā‚¬!

Documentation
Appointment sheet printed. Not sure if this was necessary.
Modulo 03 filled in, from here: https://sede.dgt.gob.es/sede-estatic.../Mod.03-ES.pdf
1 x photo 26 x 32mm.
Passport and copy.
Residencia card, no copy needed.
Driving licence and copy. Keep a second copy at home to make sure you get back the categories you had before.
Empadronamiento, no copy needed.
Bank card to pay the 24,10ā‚¬.
Medical report if renewing. I should have made a copy of this in case everything goes missing.

Procedure on the day
Perhaps this will be different for each office, and from what I've read the beurocracy here is much more together than down south, but here's what happened to me:
Turned up early because I had read that there's a separate queue to pay and it can be long. This wasn't the case in this office - I saw one person and paid at that desk.
On arrival typed my NIE into a screen; got a deli-counter ticket. Waited about 5 minutes.
At the desk it took a long time, about 20-30 minutes, as there was a lot of typing for each category and my licence has a lot of them. She actually apologised half-way through that it was taking so long.
Apart from that it was pretty painless. I think she said they will post me a notification when the new one's ready and then I can return to pick it up. In the meantime there's a website to check the status: https://sedeapl.dgt.gob.es/WEB_EST_PERSEO/ (which doesn't appear to work).

The Jim's guide is here: https://www.costablancaforum.com/are...spanish-41247/

Thanks for the help on here.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

"Residencia card, no copy needed"

I rest my case šŸ‘
Old Jul 7th 2020, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

SpacemanP is an unknown quantity at this point

I went today

I had to take copies of my residencia, passport and empadronmiento.

Still unsure whether they give me the green light to go to get the medical OR if I have to go off my own back??

Spanish red tape, gotta love it.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SpacemanP
Still unsure whether they give me the green light to go to get the medical OR if I have to go off my own back??
Did you apply for an exchange (canje) or renewal (renovaciĆ³n)? If the former, from what I've read you don't need a medical. I just turned up to one of their medical centres and asked what was required.

There's a link to the list of centres in my post above.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

SpacemanP is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be honest I have no idea which I got, the guy did say I need to get the medical before the end date of my current UK licence next year, so I am presuming as soon as the new Spanish one arrives, its free reign to get the medical.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Most countries have a mandatory medical for a driving licence. The UK is the glaring exception. When you change your licence the assumption is that you have had a medical to get your foreign licence so issuing a replacement does not need an extra medical. If you are changing and want a full term replacement licence you need a medical because a Spanish citizen renewing his licence would have to have one.

That said, you cannot be sure that for an exchange that they will not request a medical. Like all procedures in Spain it varies from place to place, so always assume the worst.

Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SpacemanP
I'll be honest I have no idea which I got, the guy did say I need to get the medical before the end date of my current UK licence next year, so I am presuming as soon as the new Spanish one arrives, its free reign to get the medical.
Sounds like you got the exchange. I did read somewhere (somewhere on the internet, so maybe not 100% accurate) that you can only renew your Spanish licence withing 3 months of its expiry, so don't pay for a medical as soon as the new licence turns up.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

UK Gov site just updated latest info on the exchange process and time is running out!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...iving-in-spain
Old Jul 20th 2020, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I used the same Gestor that we used to obtain our residency. We exchanged our UK licences and certainly had a medical. It was very basic, BP check, a few questions, hearing test and the reaction test. Took the medical report to the Gestor with our UK licences. Received a Trafico stamped paper copy of our UK licences and about 18 weeks later (!!!) our ES licences were ready.

The cost per licence about Euro 110, for this cost IMO it is worth paying a Gestor.

Old Jul 20th 2020, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NABman
My wife and I used the same Gestor that we used to obtain our residency. We exchanged our UK licences and certainly had a medical. It was very basic, BP check, a few questions, hearing test and the reaction test. Took the medical report to the Gestor with our UK licences. Received a Trafico stamped paper copy of our UK licences and about 18 weeks later (!!!) our ES licences were ready.

The cost per licence about Euro 110, for this cost IMO it is worth paying a Gestor.
Unless you are a high level Spanish speaker do not go to traffico alone. They are under no duty to speak English and therefore will simply dismiss you meaning you have to acquire a new appointment. And good level means more than hello/ thanks/

Last edited by Rosemary; Jul 20th 2020 at 3:11 pm. Reason: corrected quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.