British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Uk to Spanish Driving licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-spanish-driving-licence-933323/)

Greywolf Jun 21st 2020 7:52 am

Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
My partner and I are planning to move to Spain in a few months, all being well. Can anyone give me any info on getting a Spanish driving licence. I hold a full UK licence, No convictions ( as yet) and I am 72 , physically fit and wear glasses only for reading. Do I have to do a written as well as a practical test or is it a matter of a straight swap? do i need an up to date medical. ? Any helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Lagoo Jun 21st 2020 8:09 am

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
There's some guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...iving-in-spain

You'll need a NIE first and I suppose an address in Spain.

If you have a current licence you'll be able to swap it for a Spanish one this year. You can make an appointment here: https://sedeapl.dgt.gob.es:7443/WEB_...itaPaso2.faces The first pull-down is the office location for your appointment; for the second select 'Renovación de permisos de conducción (UE/EEE)' and in the third which will appear select Reino Unido (type r and it'll jump there).

Greywolf Jun 21st 2020 8:36 am

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
Many thanks Laggo , very helpful.

Notdunroamin Jun 21st 2020 10:45 am

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
You need your residencia before you can even begin the exchange process but if you set it in motion before Dec 31st. you will be OK.

The medical is a joke with the doctor essentially assessing you by your answers to a few generic questions and a blood pressure test. If you have chronic ailments which could impact your driving abilities, diabetes for example and especially if insulin controlled, it's probable that you will need a certificate from your own doctor saying that you are safe to drive.
​​​​​​
The eyesight test would barely present a challenge to many a registered blind person and the reaction test is a bit like playing Pong on an early 70's 1st generation amusement arcade machine, I doubt anyone has ever failed it but if they have then frankly they didn't ought to be even thinking of getting behind the wheel of a car in the first place!

Greywolf Jun 21st 2020 11:27 am

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
Many thanks

missile Jun 21st 2020 1:32 pm

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
I exchanged UK to Spanish before residencia. I went to an Abogado who did it all for what I thought to be a very reasonable 65 euros.

Barriej Jun 21st 2020 6:08 pm

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 

Originally Posted by Lagoo (Post 12869960)
There's some guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...iving-in-spain

You'll need a NIE first and I suppose an address in Spain.

If you have a current licence you'll be able to swap it for a Spanish one this year. You can make an appointment here: https://sedeapl.dgt.gob.es:7443/WEB_...itaPaso2.faces The first pull-down is the office location for your appointment; for the second select 'Renovación de permisos de conducción (UE/EEE)' and in the third which will appear select Reino Unido (type r and it'll jump there).


You cannot swap the Uk driving licence for a Spanish one until you are resident. Our solicitor confirmed this earlier in the year when I thought the cut off was in January (we move over in August now)

You need the residency document to enable the exchange, if you are going for a straight swap IE. not getting a new 10years, you may not need the medical (but I see you are over 70) so you will.

Im 57 and can make a straight swap although my licence will run out on the same day my UK one would have (some time in 2027)

Notdunroamin Jun 22nd 2020 7:09 am

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12870066)
I exchanged UK to Spanish before residencia. I went to an Abogado who did it all for what I thought to be a very reasonable 65 euros.

You must be mistaken because proof of residence (residencia card) is an absolute pre-requisite.

What are the dates on your residencia and Spanish licence?

missile Jun 22nd 2020 7:31 am

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12870327)
You must be mistaken because proof of residence (residencia card) is an absolute pre-requisite.

What are the dates on your residencia and Spanish licence?

I am certainly not mistaken. I did not have and was not asked for residencia card when I got my Spanish driving license. Requirements may have changed since I received my license and/ or vary in different regions.

lyric030250 Jun 22nd 2020 9:20 am

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
I was sent home twice from Traffico, Malaga, first time although I had the appointment hard copy in my hand it was not on the computer, second time the clerk wanted an original copy of the Residencia certificate not the colour copy I had.
Then I was virused, soon to try again, need a new empadronamiento first.

missile Jun 22nd 2020 9:34 am

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
Good luck :-)

Notdunroamin Jun 22nd 2020 1:45 pm

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
EU directives state that only residents can apply for a national licence, if it were otherwise anybody say banned in their own country could simply slip over a border, pick up a new one from there, then go home and continue driving with it.

If you did indeed get yours without being resident then it was a cock up - or perhaps a brown envelope passed under a table, who knows?

Whatever, how you came by it without residence it was totally irregular and not in any way representative of how the system both should and does work.

missile Jun 22nd 2020 3:06 pm

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12870422)
, who knows?.

I know and I am sure my Abogado did too.

Lagoo Jun 22nd 2020 5:13 pm

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 

Originally Posted by lyric030250 (Post 12870359)
I was sent home twice from Traffico, Malaga, first time although I had the appointment hard copy in my hand it was not on the computer, second time the clerk wanted an original copy of the Residencia certificate not the colour copy I had.
Then I was virused, soon to try again, need a new empadronamiento first.

Thank you for this piece of info. My appointment's a week today and I wouldn't have thought of that. What else is needed? UK licence (in date; I'll take both parts coz they'll only want the other), passport (probably), original residente card, hard copy of appointment...

lyric030250 Jun 22nd 2020 5:25 pm

Re: Uk to Spanish Driving licence
 
The correct size photographs


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:42 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.