British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   UK to Spain customs clearance documents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-spain-customs-clearance-documents-937953/)

Sandm4n Apr 3rd 2021 9:51 am

UK to Spain customs clearance documents

Hi All,

planning my move to Spain, I would like to know please what kind of documents do I need to prepare for the Spanish customs in case I’ll decide to move my personal belongings by myself using a one way self drive van service?
I’m an EU national with British residency.

Thanks.

agree_to_disagree Apr 3rd 2021 9:55 am

Re: UK to Spain customs clearance documents

I think this topic has been covered quite a bit already. Use the search facility along with your key words and you should get lots of info.

EU national + British residency means you hold dual nationality or passports?

Sandm4n Apr 3rd 2021 10:22 am

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree (Post 12990831)
I think this topic has been covered quite a bit already. Use the search facility along with your key words and you should get lots of info.

All I could find is about people who use removal companies, I plan to move it by myself so I believe it’s a bit different situation, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree (Post 12990831)
EU national + British residency means you hold dual nationality or passports?

I’m holding only 1 passport which is EU passport but I also have a British resident (blue) card.

agree_to_disagree Apr 3rd 2021 10:43 am

https://www.expatnetwork.com/customs...s-entry-spain/

Here is a link with a bit of info.

Has been discussed but can be hard to find as threads sometimes wander off the original subject.

Already being an EU national is super as you can stay in Spain forever and a day!

Sandm4n Apr 3rd 2021 11:33 am

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree (Post 12990837)

Thanks, I wonder if the same applies for “self move” or all the mentioned documents required only because it’s being shipped by a removal company.

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree (Post 12990837)
Already being an EU national is super as you can stay in Spain forever and a day!

😄

bob_day Apr 3rd 2021 2:29 pm

I know the EU has federal ambitions way above their station but as yet there is no such thing as an EU passport. Call me pedantic but you may have a passport from a country that is still an EU member. With one of those come and go as you please, but legally not for ever and a day. To be legal you will still be required to become resident and tax resident should you wish to stay permanently.

​​​​​​At least you won't have to mess around starting the residency process in the uk with a visa of some sort, probably the non lucrative variety.

agree_to_disagree Apr 3rd 2021 3:03 pm

"forever and a day" with the caveat that you will have to follow a residency process, a relatively trivial process for EU citizens, but correct pointed out by Bob, regardless.

As to the "EU has federal ambitions way above their station" I am surprised you make this comment of the EU.

You choose to live in the EU, as opposed to the green fields of England.

You deride the EU, yet choose to live there? To me a contradiction!

bob_day Apr 3rd 2021 3:45 pm

Actually we choose to live in Spain, which happens to be member of the EU...

No contradiction there....

Given the vaccine debarcle in the EU can you imagine an EU army. My turn to fire the guns, oh hang on we screwed up bullet procurement. No worries wave your broomsticks at the enemy and shout a lot... Actually that won't happen because by the time the unelected eu masters decide they need to go into action the bloody war will be over.

Suppose you'll be asking me wether we voted for or against brexit next...

agree_to_disagree Apr 3rd 2021 4:15 pm

I repeat; "you deride the EU, yet choose to live there? To me a contradiction!"

Your business how you voted in the referendum.

Notwithstanding, we meander off topic...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...7851bf569f.jpg

IminSpain Apr 3rd 2021 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by bob_day (Post 12990905)
Actually we choose to live in Spain, which happens to be member of the EU...

No contradiction there....

Given the vaccine debarcle in the EU can you imagine an EU army. My turn to fire the guns, oh hang on we screwed up bullet procurement. No worries wave your broomsticks at the enemy and shout a lot... Actually that won't happen because by the time the unelected eu masters decide they need to go into action the bloody war will be over.

Suppose you'll be asking me wether we voted for or against brexit next...

Rope and Anchor springs to mind!

bob_day Apr 3rd 2021 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by IminSpain (Post 12990935)
Rope and Anchor springs to mind!

Hmmnn, absolutely no idea what that comment means or is a reference too.

Back on topic then chaps....

Barriej Apr 3rd 2021 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sandm4n (Post 12990829)
Hi All,

planning my move to Spain, I would like to know please what kind of documents do I need to prepare for the Spanish customs in case I’ll decide to move my personal belongings by myself using a one way self drive van service?
I’m an EU national with British residency.

Thanks.

Not sure if I posted in this forum or the other one anyway.

There are a few Uk companies that do one -way rental.

I used JHire last year when we moved over (August) and I think the total cost including ferry etc was about £2000, the vans are all UK RHD and nearly new.
The other one is Way2Go.

Knowing that you have a passport issued from another EU country makes your move easier. BUT where was your driving licence issued?

If the UK, you will only be allowed to drive here in Spain for 6 months after you arrive (or become resident) can't remember which comes first.
Then you will need to take a Spanish driving test (if you have a licence from another Eu country then you are OK).

Sandm4n Apr 4th 2021 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 12990985)
Not sure if I posted in this forum or the other one anyway.

There are a few Uk companies that do one -way rental.

I used JHire last year when we moved over (August) and I think the total cost including ferry etc was about £2000, the vans are all UK RHD and nearly new.
The other one is Way2Go.

Thanks.
what kind paperwork do I need to prepare for customs clearance if I move my belongings by myself using a van?

My driving license is a UK driving license, do I need to take driving lessons in Spain or just take the theory and driving test ?

Barriej Apr 4th 2021 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Sandm4n (Post 12991072)
Thanks.
what kind paperwork do I need to prepare for customs clearance if I move my belongings by myself using a van?

My driving license is a UK driving license, do I need to take driving lessons in Spain or just take the theory and driving test ?

Cant answer the paperwork question, we just loaded the van and drove over (in Aug last year so the Uk was till in Europe)

You have to sign up with a driving school as you cannot take lessons in your own car, the driving school car must also be used for the test.
The theory test WAS available in English but the Practical is in Spanish (but we have had a thread or two about that already)
Some have said you need to be fluent, others have said you only have to understand directions as your tutor is in the car with you and the examiner. Cant confirm as I managed to exchange my licence.

Sandm4n Apr 4th 2021 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 12991082)

You have to sign up with a driving school as you cannot take lessons in your own car, the driving school car must also be used for the test.

Is there a minimum of driving lessons that I need to take before the test?