Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Uk sim activated , used and recharged in Spain ?

Uk sim activated , used and recharged in Spain ?

Old Oct 28th 2022, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk sim activated , used and recharged in Spain ?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Not quite correct, it will choose the best network that is in the list of partners of the original (UK) network.

For example, smarty uses the 3 network in UK and partners with Movistar in Spain. It will choose this even if a Vodafone signal is stronger.
Yes on settings on your phone you can see all available networks however you can only connect to networks authorised by your provider. One thing that may be of use to some is if you are in a weak signal area sometimes you can improve the signal by changing from 4g to 3g signal or vice versa. I find that works for me.
Old Oct 28th 2022, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Can't even download the app from outside of UK but that doesn't stop them sending me emails extolling me to keep an eye on my account!

I can use the website with the old card reader of course but since other banks seem happy enough to make their apps available I don't know what makes Nationwide think they are so special.

As it happens it's an account I very rarely use so not really an issue.
If you have a VPN maybe for watching UK TV or similar if you connect via that you should be able to download the app as you will look as though you are in the UK. I have resolved similar issues all be it not with Nationwide.

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 28th 2022 at 9:59 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Oct 28th 2022, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
If you have a VPN maybe for watching UK TV or similar if you connect via that you should be able to download the app as you will look as though you are in the UK. I have resolved similar issues all be it not with Nationwide.
It's a different and very annoying process for iPhones. If you have active subscriptions on the Apple account then don't even bother trying. Otherwise, just follow this:
How to download an iPhone app that's not available in your country (idownloadblog.com)
Old Oct 28th 2022, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I don't use a VPN and have no trouble with the Nationwide app on my mobile or the web site on the Mac.
And I added the app about six months ago.
The wife access's her Santander Uk account without issue as well.
Our VPN is only on the Fire stick for SHMBO to watch all the rubbish Uk TV she likes.

At no point have any of the banks and services we still use that are based in the Uk ever had an issue with a Spanish mobile number. I did get a message from one company asking me for a land line, so I phoned and explained we dont have one.

I will agree if you are trying to set something up in the Uk from Spain (or anywhere else) then they may not accept a foreign mobile number, but all of the services (except Paypal) have allowed me to change both the address's and phone numbers without a problem
PayPal Uk will only allow a Uk address, the only way round this is to change it to a business account. Then you can have multiple address's.
Ebay Uk even has my Spanish details in case i want stuff sent from there to here.

Old Oct 28th 2022, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Not quite correct, it will choose the best network that is in the list of partners of the original (UK) network.

For example, smarty uses the 3 network in UK and partners with Movistar in Spain. It will choose this even if a Vodafone signal is stronger.
You can see that I had already posted that fact 4 posts earlier

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
When abroad it appears to picks up the strongest signal of any providers it has agreements with
Old Oct 28th 2022, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Barriej
I don't use a VPN and have no trouble with the Nationwide app on my mobile or the web site on the Mac.
And I added the app about six months ago.
The wife access's her Santander Uk account without issue as well.
Our VPN is only on the Fire stick for SHMBO to watch all the rubbish Uk TV she likes.

At no point have any of the banks and services we still use that are based in the Uk ever had an issue with a Spanish mobile number. I did get a message from one company asking me for a land line, so I phoned and explained we dont have one.

I will agree if you are trying to set something up in the Uk from Spain (or anywhere else) then they may not accept a foreign mobile number, but all of the services (except Paypal) have allowed me to change both the address's and phone numbers without a problem
PayPal Uk will only allow a Uk address, the only way round this is to change it to a business account. Then you can have multiple address's.
Ebay Uk even has my Spanish details in case i want stuff sent from there to here.

It was Notdunroamin that said they were unable to download the Nationwide App, my reply was a possible way of enabling them to do that from Spain. Like yourself use many UK apps without any issue or the need for a VPN to hide my location. I use spanish apps without issue in the UK like for instance last week I booked my gripe and covid vaccine from the UK using the Salud AndalucĂ­a App. However I do remember trying to set up a new phone one time while in the UK and certain Apps wouldn't allow downloading from the UK, using a VPN with spanish location allowed the download. Once downloaded there is no issue using these apps. I presume all about security as it seems to apply to some banking or government apps but only for downloading.