British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   UK Registered car. No MOT. in Spain. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-registered-car-no-mot-spain-388319/)

Mercedes Aug 4th 2006 6:31 pm

Re: UK Registered car. No MOT. in Spain.

Originally Posted by kevray
:eek: Any and I mean ANY insurance company that proves that you dishonestly made a claim will blacklist you, your details are placed on a register and you are then barred from ever getting insurance be it car/home/holiday etc unless you pay a huge premium. ( I repair computers for a major insurance company and they told me this as so many people claim the computer "fell off the desk").

I know, depends on how long you have been out of the country, if it's months you may be okay, if it is years, you have a much more of a problem. I probably was in the okay timeframe. My paperwork was obviously okay. I've also done alot of work for insurance companies, however my car is taxed Moted in UK and I have 12 months green card insurance which allows me a certain amount of time outside UK and in the EU countries, (going on memory when I last read it. ) Since I also work in the Uk and stay there, so I'm actually there, even if the car isn't mostly. My neighbours who are guardia civil also know I'm overseas (although they tend to think UK), and my car is kept at the airport, but they don't know whether I drove or flew back. As far as they are concerned I'm not here, nor is the car in my driveway when I'm away, so I haven't been bothered. I think where the Guardia are having a problem is no MoT/Tax disc which equals no insurance.

If a British car hasn't got a British MOT even if it has insurance (whoever it is with) it is void and they would not pay out in an accident, therefore the person is liable to be sued for any damages, so there goes the house and assets if the driver with no insurance has an accident. Bit of a bummer if they live in a council house and don't have anything. I personally rather pay a British insurance company mainly because they do pay out in an accident. A policeman friend of mine was badly injured in a car accident and the other drivers Spanish insurance company went bust rather than pay out compensation which was high. His career in the police ended with that accident and he had years of court cases. So I personally wouldn't insure with a Spanish company and in case I get hit with a spanish insurer, I go fully comp, I know then I'm covered.

For the OP you can transport your car back for £400 or get a truck that is returning back to the UK with an empty load, you may get it back quite cheap that way. Ring up some of the trucking companies. Alternatively, borrow a 4 x 4 a trailer and drive it back.