British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   UK PLATE'S (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-plates-747039/)

EDDIE SPARROW Feb 1st 2012 4:22 pm

UK PLATE'S

Please can anyone help im taking a uk registered car over to my home in majorca,ive got residencia i understand i can only drive it on uk plates for 30 day's. Is it against the law after that to keep it on private property on uk plates and not use it on the road till i get it changed over to spanish plates ?

Dxf Feb 1st 2012 5:07 pm

Re: UK PLATE'S

Hi

I think that you can drive it for 60 days whilst changing the number plates; certainly, if you change the number plates within 60 days of being on the padron, the "first registration fee" should be waived

Whilst you can´t keep a Spanish vehicle "off road" I don´t see why you can´t keep an English car "off road" but it will have to have an ITV test as part of the import process no matter how new it is (to confirm it conforms to Spanish legislation)

Davexf

Fred James Feb 1st 2012 5:56 pm

Under EU law, if you are moving to a new country and taking your previously owned car with you, you have 6 months before you need to register it on Spanish plates but if you do it as soon as you arrive you will save the expensive registration tax and also avoid confrontation with the Guardia.

According to press reports they are now stopping UK reg cars much more regularly and impounding those that shouldn't be here.

Get it sorted as soon as you arrive.

missile Feb 2nd 2012 10:43 am

In accordance with UK law, you are required to advise DVLA if you permanently export a vehicle.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022582

Chiclanagir Feb 2nd 2012 12:50 pm

Nobody seems to give a fig about driving on UK plates here. They never seem to get stopped by the Guardia and at road blocks get waved through. I even saw a van which has been over here for a long time sitting parked up in our local venta with a Guardia car next to it.

jdr Feb 2nd 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9880057)
Nobody seems to give a fig about driving on UK plates here. They never seem to get stopped by the Guardia and at road blocks get waved through. I even saw a van which has been over here for a long time sitting parked up in our local venta with a Guardia car next to it.

Things are changing now though, the Customs and the Guardia are getting short of money.

bobd22 Feb 2nd 2012 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 9880201)
Things are changing now though, the Customs and the Guardia are getting short of money.

I would probably thing it would depend on the cop and whether they can be bothered to deal with foreigners and foreign documentation. By the way I am assuming this one month rule applies for residents and that the 6 month rule applies for none resident visitors?

jdr Feb 2nd 2012 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 9880548)
I would probably thing it would depend on the cop and whether they can be bothered to deal with foreigners and foreign documentation. By the way I am assuming this one month rule applies for residents and that the 6 month rule applies for none resident visitors?

It was on the front of the Sur how over two hundred foreign local car owners have been told to register their cars to Spanish plates just recently.

bobd22 Feb 2nd 2012 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 9880558)
It was on the front of the Sur how over two hundred foreign local car owners have been told to register their cars to Spanish plates just recently.

JDR I was talking to a friend who read that article and he said all foreign vehicles but surely that must be foreign residents?

Chiclanagir Feb 2nd 2012 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 9880548)

Well they obviously cannot be bothered to do it around our way.

jdr Feb 2nd 2012 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 9880561)
JDR I was talking to a friend who read that article and he said all foreign vehicles but surely that must be foreign residents?

They just stop you and you have to prove the car is yours and it is here on holiday. ;);)
All they need to is check on the insurance cert, if it has a Spanish address, game over they know you are resident.
It is best and cheapest to change as soon as the car arrives in Spain.