Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK plated scooter in spain

UK plated scooter in spain

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default UK plated scooter in spain

I know it has been covered in much detail but how long do I have to matriculate to Spanish plates. It is UK road legal, taxed & insured for Europe (have to leave Spain 1 day a year). I propose running on UK plates for 3 months which I think is legal, just bought it so don't go slagging me off!

Also, if I show the Guardia all UK docs (incl ferry ticket) then within those 3 months (if correct) I can't see a problem. If I can matriculate before I will but I rather enjoy the beach rather than queueing at Traffico.

Any advice appreciated
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:03 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK plated scooter in spain

Originally Posted by poolboy
I know it has been covered in much detail but how long do I have to matriculate to Spanish plates. It is UK road legal, taxed & insured for Europe (have to leave Spain 1 day a year). I propose running on UK plates for 3 months which I think is legal, just bought it so don't go slagging me off!

Also, if I show the Guardia all UK docs (incl ferry ticket) then within those 3 months (if correct) I can't see a problem. If I can matriculate before I will but I rather enjoy the beach rather than queueing at Traffico.

Any advice appreciated
For cars and boats it´s 6 months, but go and check in Trafico.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:09 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It rather depends on your residency status.

As a non resident you can use it for up to 6 months in one calendar year so long as it is street legal.

If you are a resident you should re-register it as soon as you become resident to avoid the registration tax - 30 days from becoming resident seems to be the magic number but I have never seen it actually quoted on a government site.

If you delay registering it you have up to 6 months but you will have to pay the tax.

The subject has been covered many times before so do a search or look in the free beer thread.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy

Any advice appreciated
I`d appeciate it if you could pass your insurance broker /company details as your policy sounds ideal for what I need,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`d appeciate it if you could pass your insurance broker /company details as your policy sounds ideal for what I need,

Rgds

Rotor
As it`s his bike and he is a resident of Spain I don`t think the UK insurance would be valid.

HERE
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the rsponses. My gestor quoted me the following to register to Spain plates: (prices in euros)

ficha tec 125
itv 84
impuesto 10
tasa 111
placa 10
iva 30

They never said any tax would disappear within 30 days of import.

I plan to get the itv stuff done myself & get myself along to Traffico at some stage. As it is 6 months I am in no hurry, the insurance isn't UK sourced, sold in Spain via Gib & only legal cover.

Appreciate the responses to date.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The registration tax is based on the current value of the scooter.

To avoid the tax is a quite complicated procedure and does cost money - the UK embassy charge you for the necessary documents.

Unless its new and pricey it probably not worth the hassle.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi Fred, which part of gestors taxes is the reg tax? scoot is 6 mths old & value c 4ke.

If I get whacked for 400e reg tax I may as well pay them to do it if they are getting round it, their fee is less.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:37 pm

You haven't said what the engine size is.

If it's less than 250cc then there is no tax, if not it's 12%.

On the basis of the figures the gestor has given you it looks like the scooter is less that 250cc or he's forgotten to add it on