Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Plated car to Spanish plates

UK Plated car to Spanish plates

Old Sep 24th 2011, 4:47 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Plated car to Spanish plates

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
I fear you are searching for something which does not exist, why would you expect to find a local Spanish law which contradicts an EU wide one ?
Well I think you are right - I doubt that such a law exists, but you did say:-

"Err no, residents of an EU country must register their cars in a period specified by the local laws.

In spain I believe that is 3 months, "

Hence I am interested if such a law does exist. I know that what happens in practice and what the law actually says are, in Spain, frequently at odds with each other but it would be nice to understand exactly what the law says rather than have to guess.

The only documentation I have managed to unearth is that concerning the 60 day time period for personal importation of a car to avoid paying the registration tax and even that is slightly ambiguous!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I think you are possibly still confusing two entirely separate subjects.

Under all normal circumstances 6 months is the longest period you can keep a car in another EU country before you must remove or register it. There are some derogations for students and for other very specific situations but they need not bother us here.

If you are resident in that country you must register your car in the period specified by national law and this can vary from nil, as per UK, up to the possible maximum of 6 months. I cannot tell you precisely what the period is in Spain, I think it's 3 months although I've heard from 30 days to the full 6 months mentioned, so I'm not exactly sure, I only visit Spain so never had occasion to register a car there, but whatever it is it will be likely be enacted in Spanish law somewhere.

As you say though, how or if it is interpreted and applied on a day to day basis on the ground is another matter altogether
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:40 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Or if you are moving to the CDS then most UK plated cars I have seen down there have been here for donkeys years.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:01 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all - I am just trying to find out what the answer is.

Clearly you don't know and neither do I. It certainly isn't 30 days.

Maybe someone has some link to the rules - I haven't found it yet.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:29 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Under all normal circumstances 6 months is the longest period you can keep a car in another EU country before you must remove or register it. There are some derogations for students and for other very specific situations but they need not bother us here.

If you are resident in that country you must register your car in the period specified by national law and this can vary from nil, as per UK, up to the possible maximum of 6 months. I cannot tell you precisely what the period is in Spain, I think it's 3 months although I've heard from 30 days to the full 6 months mentioned, so I'm not exactly sure, I only visit Spain so never had occasion to register a car there, but whatever it is it will be likely be enacted in Spanish law somewhere.

As you say though, how or if it is interpreted and applied on a day to day basis on the ground is another matter altogether
where did that come from ? I have LT, PL, EI around me all day every day
the EI vehicle is parked on the street most of the time.

ISTR we got a local bobbie who was ex RMP who was very tough on ensuring that all servicemen bringing cars back from Germany did it inside the 12months.
But as has been stated the EU ruling appears to be 6 months which post dates that.

I have heard that in Spain they have a lower charge for a vehicle matriculated inside 1month and another higher charge for 6months, even if it had a valid UK tax disc.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me why Brit insurance companies will only cover you for 3 months as soon as they know you are moving to Spain.
Is it something to do with the Spanish time limit on matriculation or just a whim or coincidence?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:13 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Tell me why Brit insurance companies will only cover you for 3 months as soon as they know you are moving to Spain.
Is it something to do with the Spanish time limit on matriculation or just a whim or coincidence?
It seems to vary. In fact, my insurance company told me that if I told them I was moving to Spain they would cancel my insurance immediately I left. I was actually given 3 months, but that was only because I was able to say I was back and forwards between the two countries at that time
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Domino

I have heard that in Spain they have a lower charge for a vehicle matriculated inside 1month and another higher charge for 6months, even if it had a valid UK tax disc.
If you matriculate it within 60 days of becoming resident you avoid the tax altogether as the car is included in your belongings which you allowed to bring into Spain free of all tax etc. There are a few conditions etc but that's the basic rule.

After that you pay the full tax.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 7:43 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you matriculate it within 60 days of becoming resident you avoid the tax altogether as the car is included in your belongings which you allowed to bring into Spain free of all tax etc. There are a few conditions etc but that's the basic rule.

After that you pay the full tax.
thanks Fred, will keep that in mind when the car comes over
rgds
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
In a word - risk. Insurance is entirely based on it and in UK the insurance companies have many decades worth of data and statistics on which to base their exposure. In a foreign country they have nothing to base it on therefore they cannot practially do business there. You're lucky if they will cover you for 3 months and I would check on that as normally the instant you become non resident your cover will be withdrawn.

Originally Posted by Domino
If you are resident in that country you must register your car in the period specified by national law and this can vary from nil, as per UK, up to the possible maximum of 6 months.

where did that come from ? I have LT, PL, EI around me all day every day

the EI vehicle is parked on the street most of the time.
It's quite simple.

If you, as a UK resident, import a foreign registered vehicle to UK you cannot drive it on the road until it is registered, there is no period of grace whatsoever.

If you, as a French resident, import a foreign registered vehicle to France you are permitted one month to register it during which time you may legally drive it.

If you, as a Spanish resident, import a foreign registered vehicle to Spain you may drive it for whatever period the Spanish allow which, having looked a bit deeper, I think now is only one month not 3.

The EU 6 month rule is a maximum not a stipulation.

You may guess or assume the residential status of the owners of the LT, PL & EI's vehicles you mention but you cannot know it. If they are not UK resident then they are perfectly entitled to keep their cars in UK for 6 months in any 12. If they are students then they can keep them for 12 months or possibly more. That said the chances are they are winging it and are there illegally and it's just a question of time before someone dobs them in or plod collars them.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:06 am

In a word - risk. Insurance is entirely based on it and in UK the insurance companies have many decades worth of data and statistics on which to base their exposure. In a foreign country they have nothing to base it on therefore they cannot practially do business there. You're lucky if they will cover you for 3 months and I would check on that as normally the instant you become non resident your cover will be withdrawn.

It's quite simple.

If you, as a UK resident, import a foreign registered vehicle to UK you cannot drive it on the road until it is registered, there is no period of grace whatsoever.

If you, as a French resident, import a foreign registered vehicle to France you are permitted one month to register it during which time you may legally drive it.

If you, as a Spanish resident, import a foreign registered vehicle to Spain you may drive it for whatever period the Spanish allow which, having looked a bit deeper, I think now is only one month not 3.

You may guess or assume the residential status of the owners of the LT, PL & EI's vehicles you mention but you cannot know it. If they are not UK resident then they are perfectly entitled to keep their cars in UK for 6 months in any 12. If they are students then they can keep them for 12 months or possibly more. That said the chances are they are winging it and are there illegally and it's just a question of time before someone dobs them in or plod collars them.
and when working here and using the vehicles to travel to work ..........

we have regular ANPR swoops, the last one picked up 6 cars for various offences, but then I could have been one of them as when I came to renew my tax DVLA computer told me I wasnt insured. The insurance co had put the wrong regn on the docs.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure about that, unless the rules have been changed cos I bought a new Landrover Discovery in Holland ordered to UK specs, headlights etc and I drove it to UK on Dutch plates and I had 7 days to register it. I went to the local DVLA office in Birmingham, paid the Road Tax and £25 pound admin fee and came away with a tax disc with my uk registration number. Had the plates made and that was it. (Apart from a VAT demand 3 months later !)
Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:10 pm

It is definitely not 30 days. As I said before, if you wish to avoid paying the tax you have 60 days.

What happens if you do not take that option is not clear and I can find no note of it on the relevant site. Possibly the EU 6 month rule applies in the absence of a local law.

Look here - section 4:-

http://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT...nquicia_.shtml

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 26th 2011 at 7:16 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael74
I bought a new Landrover Discovery in Holland ordered to UK specs, headlights etc and I drove it to UK on Dutch plates and I had 7 days to register it.
Personal importation of brand new vehicles comes under different rules

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022583

And before someone cries 'oi, what about hire cars and commercial vehicles' they do to.