Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

uk passport renewal

uk passport renewal

Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk passport renewal

Just a bit of clarification.

The IPS only suggest that you use the fast track 1 week service or the premium 1 day service - appointments needed in both cases. They are assuming that you will want a reasonable timescale as the standard postal service is 3 weeks or more in busy periods.

You can still use the basic service if you wish. This costs £72 plus a post office check fee if required of another £6.85.

The 1 week service is £92 and the same day service is £114. (plus any travelling costs to the nearest IPS office).

The standard charge in Spain is €154 plus courier fee of €13.25 plus registered postage to the embassy.

So, if you want to save a significant amount of money you need to be in the UK for at least a month and use the basic service. The premium services are quite a lot more expensive. Comparing the 1 day service in the UK to the postal service in Spain, there is a saving of only €36, less any travelling involved in getting to the IPS office in the UK.

It is possible to send the old passport to a contact in the UK and to get them to sort the whole thing and post it back to you but there is a very small risk that they might require you to attend an interview - unlikely but seriously complicating if your passport is at their office and you are in Spain!

My passport is due for renewal in October. I really object to the charges (a Spanish passport costs €20) but I cannot face the hassle of doing it on the cheap.

One thing about the Embassy service, based on experiences of others, both personally and on forums, is that it works like clockwork - for a change!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:17 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification!

I will be in the UK until the beginning of September probably, we haven't booked a return date yet, but I shall tell them the end of July. I am going to get the application in tomorrow.

The guy on the phonre said it's usually about two weeks with the Post Office check, although officially it's their standard time of three weeks.

And yes, he told me £78.85.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Just a bit of clarification.

The IPS only suggest that you use the fast track 1 week service or the premium 1 day service - appointments needed in both cases. They are assuming that you will want a reasonable timescale as the standard postal service is 3 weeks or more in busy periods.

You can still use the basic service if you wish. This costs £72 plus a post office check fee if required of another £6.85.

The 1 week service is £92 and the same day service is £114. (plus any travelling costs to the nearest IPS office).

The standard charge in Spain is €154 plus courier fee of €13.25 plus registered postage to the embassy.

So, if you want to save a significant amount of money you need to be in the UK for at least a month and use the basic service. The premium services are quite a lot more expensive. Comparing the 1 day service in the UK to the postal service in Spain, there is a saving of only €36, less any travelling involved in getting to the IPS office in the UK.

It is possible to send the old passport to a contact in the UK and to get them to sort the whole thing and post it back to you but there is a very small risk that they might require you to attend an interview - unlikely but seriously complicating if your passport is at their office and you are in Spain!

My passport is due for renewal in October. I really object to the charges (a Spanish passport costs €20) but I cannot face the hassle of doing it on the cheap.

One thing about the Embassy service, based on experiences of others, both personally and on forums, is that it works like clockwork - for a change!
Unless like my daughter, you get married and are out when the postie delivers it and it is taken back to the P O.
It is addressed to your new married name and you have no ID with that name on, and they won`t even let your husband pick it up with his ID.
Anyhow it got returned to Madrid, so my wife phoned up and got it sent to where she works and no ID was needed.
Maybe more the clerk at the PO`s fault than the Embassy.

Last edited by jdr; Jul 29th 2009 at 8:39 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Unless like my daughter, you get married and are out when the postie delivers it and it is taken back to the P O.
It is addressed to your new married name and you have no ID with that name on, and they won`t even let your husband pick it up with his ID.
Anyhow it got returned to Madrid, so my wife phoned up and got it sent to where she works and no ID was needed.
Maybe more the clerk at the PO`s fault than the Embassy.
You do like to complicate things don't you.

I must remember not to get married again before I submit my application.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Took 2 1/2 weeks for sons to come back from Madrid.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:06 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I've applied for my new passport today, using the Post Office checking service, usually two weeks but might be more.

Apart from a hassle with photographs, (not the PO's fault), I think their sevice is excellent. £6.85, and they will tell you what is wrong , verify it is correct when you return, send it special delivery, and if the Passport Office require any further documentation you take it to the PO and they will send it Special Delivery for no extra charge. Great service.

Anyway, hopefully mine will be back in two weeks!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:15 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scampicat
I've applied for my new passport today, using the Post Office checking service, usually two weeks but might be more.

Apart from a hassle with photographs, (not the PO's fault), I think their sevice is excellent. £6.85, and they will tell you what is wrong , verify it is correct when you return, send it special delivery, and if the Passport Office require any further documentation you take it to the PO and they will send it Special Delivery for no extra charge. Great service.

Just got mine back yesterday. 10 days and 170 euros later. How can they justify such prices? A spanish passport is only 16 euros. Pick up same day!!!!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Crap excuse for the prices charged !
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: uk passport renewal

Originally Posted by jdr
True, but don`t you have to be resident in the UK to use that service.
A passport is marked different when it is applied for from Spain, so if they find out you actually live in Spain there may be a problem ?
Eh ??
Which problem is that ? Residential address ??

DSB.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Smile Re: uk passport renewal

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Just got mine back yesterday. 10 days and 170 euros later. How can they justify such prices? A spanish passport is only 16 euros. Pick up same day!!!!!
British pricing will route us out everywhere it seems.
Is it more expensive because we can jump Airport queues ???

DSB.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
Eh ??
Which problem is that ? Residential address ??

DSB.
Applying from the wrong country, you have to be in the UK to apply from there, you are not allowed to post it to a mate and get them to apply for you anymore.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: uk passport renewal

Originally Posted by jdr
Applying from the wrong country, you have to be in the UK to apply from there, you are not allowed to post it to a mate and get them to apply for you anymore.
Ahh - Understood / Thanks

DSB.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:31 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by scampicat

UPDATE : It was back in ten days.