Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The UK news thread.

The UK news thread.

Old May 20th 2014, 7:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK news thread.

Mad Dogs and Englishmen..................
Old May 20th 2014, 7:22 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's the false security of sun cream leading people to believe they are well protected enough to go swimming and sunbathing all day long after a quick squirt of cream. Blob of cream, sat in sun all day thinking you're not going to burn.....sounds like a scene from Benidorm.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I have no choice but to be outside, my job forces me to be there for 8 plus hours a day.... (It's hell I tell ya) and I use about a bottle every 2 weeks.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:29 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Maybe it's the false security of sun cream leading people to believe they are well protected enough to go swimming and sunbathing all day long after a quick squirt of cream. Blob of cream, sat in sun all day thinking you're not going to burn.....sounds like a scene from Benidorm.
Could well be a big factor.

They should test it properly.

Take 100 people, get them to put sunblock on the same arm always - whatever they are doing - sleeping, working, eating, clothed, naked, whatever. After a few years, if sunblock is causing cancer, it should become apparent on that one arm.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:37 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have no choice but to be outside, my job forces me to be there for 8 plus hours a day.... (It's hell I tell ya) and I use about a bottle every 2 weeks.
Tanning lotion more like.

Must cost you a fortune in all that rain, I bet it washes away as fast as you put it on.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Tanning lotion more like.

Must cost you a fortune in all that rain, I bet it washes away as fast as you put it on.
What rain? Today was the first rain here in Norfolk for weeks.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:42 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

What rain? Today was the first rain here in Norfolk for weeks.
Here too in Somerset. Been very nice for the last few days - warmer than southern Spain actually.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:44 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jimenato
Here too in Somerset. Been very nice for the last few days - warmer than southern Spain actually.
I know it won't last but while it's there then I'm happy to enjoy it. I quite like the constant change. Being raised in a dry climate like the Emirates I actually get quite excited about a changeable climate, however annoying it can sometimes be....
Old May 20th 2014, 8:45 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by two tubes of toothpaste
During the Second World War, hundreds of thousands of lily-white British lads were sent to fight in the desert and the Far East under the blazing sun. They weren't there for a fortnight, they were there for years. You can see photo's from those days of men in only shorts and boots operating the artillery. It is alleged that Churchill squandered the forces sun-cream money on Spitfires and the such like.

So after the war, there must have been a huge spike in the numbers of skin cancer victims amongst the troops. There wasn't one.

Skin cancers have only become known since the sixties when it was first fashionable to have a suntan and products came out to promote a tan.

I wonder if there has ever been a statistical analysis made between the amount of sun-cream sold at €10 a tube and the number of skin cancers which keep on rising ?
Good points but also in the 50s and 60s they didn't have the ability to diagnosis like the present. Skin cancer as in a mole does not kill, it is the spread to organs like The liver etc that kills. Perhaps only the secondary cancer was named as the cause of death. What does surprise is that many who have skin cancer have not been in sunny areas or sunbathed.
Old May 20th 2014, 8:53 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Good points but also in the 50s and 60s they didn't have the ability to diagnosis like the present. Skin cancer as in a mole does not kill, it is the spread to organs like The liver etc that kills. Perhaps only the secondary cancer was named as the cause of death. What does surprise is that many who have skin cancer have not been in sunny areas or sunbathed.
Yes it does. A melanoma is just about as serious as you can get.
Old May 20th 2014, 8:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does. A melanoma is just about as serious as you can get.
I know it does. What I am saying is that in the past it was not diagnosed until the secondary cancer had invaded the organs so the stats were off.
Old May 20th 2014, 9:12 pm
FreeThinker

Yes, the advance of diagnostics and medical knowledge must play a part in the confusion of statistics.

I don't think anyone is saying that all skin cancer is caused by exposure to the sun - only that it is a major factor - a bit like it's not only smoking that causes lung cancer.
Old May 21st 2014, 9:09 am
FreeThinker

Forgetful mum leaves 1 year old in taxi

Mr Rasit said it was a full 15 minutes until he was flagged down again. He said: 'When he opened the door he said, "You know youv'e a baby in the back?".
Old May 21st 2014, 9:11 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by two tubes of toothpaste
During the Second World War, hundreds of thousands of lily-white British lads were sent to fight in the desert and the Far East under the blazing sun. They weren't there for a fortnight, they were there for years. You can see photo's from those days of men in only shorts and boots operating the artillery. It is alleged that Churchill squandered the forces sun-cream money on Spitfires and the such like.

So after the war, there must have been a huge spike in the numbers of skin cancer victims amongst the troops. There wasn't one.

Skin cancers have only become known since the sixties when it was first fashionable to have a suntan and products came out to promote a tan.

I wonder if there has ever been a statistical analysis made between the amount of sun-cream sold at €10 a tube and the number of skin cancers which keep on rising ?
I have to say I've often wondered the same. Were there high cancer rates for cricket players in those years?
Of course we're supposed to have damaged the ozone layer during that time, so maybe that could be a factor?
Old May 21st 2014, 9:20 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

but as you well know, even "incidental" exposure i.e. walking around and just getting "blasted" by UV for a minute or so can be enough

however, many get skin cancer due to over use of cosmetics - although that is probably own known in the Snowden files as being too frightful for the public to read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.