Reload this Page >

UK mobile phone use in Spain

UK mobile phone use in Spain

Old Jun 20th 2015, 4:57 am
Just Joined

janemd is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK mobile phone use in Spain

hi

I am planning on coming to the north east of Spain to research moving there. Can I use a UK mobile phone there? I am currently in Turkey and they get blocked after 2 weeks. Is it easy to get a Spanish sim or do I have to have a permanent address?

Thanks
Jane
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK mobile phone use in Spain

Can't imagine Spain is so different to Italy which is where I've lived and used a UK provider for 5 years now.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 1:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janemd
hi

I am planning on coming to the north east of Spain to research moving there. Can I use a UK mobile phone there? I am currently in Turkey and they get blocked after 2 weeks. Is it easy to get a Spanish sim or do I have to have a permanent address?

Thanks
Jane
Check with your phone company that your UK mobile is set on roaming before you leave, otherwise no problem.

I have a Spanish pay as you go but recently it has become cheaper just using the UK phone.

You normally need a passport and place of residence to obtain a Spanish sim.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 8:26 am
Just Joined

jeffm_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a flat in the Costa Brava and my UK plan (with EE) includes Europe, so all phone calls to the UK and whatever European country I happen to be in at the time are included. So when I'm in Spain, I can call any Spanish number and any UK number without any roaming charges.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind having a different number while you're here you can easily buy a Spanish SIM. For calling the UK I would recommend an Orange Mundo PAYG SIM. The charge for calls to the UK is 0.01 Euros a minute, although don't send texts, they're 75 cents each. But, you get 1GB of data per month for a 10 Euro top-up, so you can use whatsapp, FB messenger, etc.

I know some UK providers are now including Euro roaming at their standard rates and included with their packages, so it is worth checking with you UK provider too.