Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK married to Italian living in Spain post brexit

UK married to Italian living in Spain post brexit

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

ricciarelloderoma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK married to Italian living in Spain post brexit

Hi all, as the title suggests... would anyone know what happens after Brexit in our case? I am Italian/British citizen since birth so I am personally not bothered about Brexit and living in Europe, my wife is Peruvian and has a had a British passport for about 7 years now because of marriage, been married for about 11 years, she is in Spain with me on a UK passport.

Starting with trying to get Italian citizenship/passport for her and found out she needs to do a B1 level test of the Italian language, it takes 5 years for the Italian government to give her citizenship/passport.

Looking at buying property in our name here in Spain, but it is already after the 29th of March, also getting registered/empadronamiento. I've read about the two year grace period to fix documents residency in Spain and other European countries. I was wondering if my wife/we have less to worry about since she is married to an Italian...

Many thanks in advance for any insight about this. Richard
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK married to Italian living in Spain post brexit

As she is married to an EU citizen then she will be able to piggyback on your freedom of movement rights regardless of what happens with Brexit. If she’s a Peruvian citizen as well then she should consider Spanish citizenship rather than Italian if she wants an EU27 passport in her own right. Only two years residence required and no language barrier.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you don't need to worry. As an Italian you will be eligible to live in Spain provided you meet EU member requirements. Your wife will have right to reside through marriage and will probably need to meet requirements as married unit. Again previous poster has pointed out perhaps easier for your wife to apply for Spanish passport based on south American agreement which means 2 years for permanent residency and I think 5 for citizenship. All in all you are free to do what you want without any care in the world without even having to hear of Brexit again. Now that is something nice to have!!
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the info, that's very good news :-)
Originally Posted by BritInParis
As she is married to an EU citizen then she will be able to piggyback on your freedom of movement rights regardless of what happens with Brexit. If she’s a Peruvian citizen as well then she should consider Spanish citizenship rather than Italian if she wants an EU27 passport in her own right. Only two years residence required and no language barrier.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Yes you don't need to worry. As an Italian you will be eligible to live in Spain provided you meet EU member requirements. Your wife will have right to reside through marriage and will probably need to meet requirements as married unit. Again previous poster has pointed out perhaps easier for your wife to apply for Spanish passport based on south American agreement which means 2 years for permanent residency and I think 5 for citizenship. All in all you are free to do what you want without any care in the world without even having to hear of Brexit again. Now that is something nice to have!!
Hi :-) Thank you so much for the reply, we'll go down the Spanish passport route then, I never though in my life that my Italian citizenship would be useful one day, it hasn't been even living in Italy for 30 years hahaha ;-)