Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Uk licence new laws. Medical.

Uk licence new laws. Medical.

Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Uk licence new laws. Medical.

Apologies if this has been mentioned in the past but I only heard this today on the radio regarding a couple of new laws for UK licence holders.
The main one that got my attention is that we now have to carry a doctors medical certificate with us with our licence, even if it has the euro flagon the licence. the only thing I have is papers from a full medical that I had last month when I had to do a full medical for my contract (eye test,blood,weight check,urine) Will this be enough or do I have to pay for medical at the doctors to get a certificate. I know in the UK you have to pay about £60 for a medical.
Anyone known about this new law and had their medicals? Will my papers be enough or is it a different type of medical?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Xabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant future
Default Re: Uk licence new laws. Medical.

It isn't a new law but for some reason it seems to have been ignored.

The rule is a UK/EU driving licence is legal anywhere in the EU, even for residency, but the holder must comply with the laws of their country of residency. Therefore, as a resident in Spain, one must comply with the rules that are applicable to all Spanish drivers which include the requirement to hold a valid medical certificate. These are valid for different periods of time depending on the age of the holder (i.e. ten years for those under 45).

For more info: Driver Licence Letter
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:12 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I believe this is a requirement, only for those who are resident in spain?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Well from what I have heard, you would have to have one foot in the grave not to be able to get a Med Cert for license purposes.
Not sure on the cost but I seem to recall it's not much. There are certified poeple/centres that do them.
I have been stopped a few times but never been asked to produce one.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

I also understood this requirement was only for residents in Spain.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Val W
I also understood this requirement was only for residents in Spain.
Do you mean spanish nationals not residents?
I think the OP was a little ambiguous.
I took it that this being an expat site they are relating to those expats who are resident here.

Last edited by twistedmelon; Aug 26th 2009 at 5:17 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it only applies to residents who choose to continue to use a UK licence.

The medical is not cheap - €35 or more, and no, it is not necessarily a formality - if you have a problem with your eyesight it will be picked up.

If, for instance, you only have decent sight in one eye, you will be given a 100km/h personal speed limit (inscribed on your licence) and be required to have panoramic mirrors and be retested more frequently.

They are supposed to give you a coordination test on a computer but in some places they don't bother. If you have a real coordination problem or serious shakes you will fail.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm, it`s been in the free beer thread for about 3 years. ;-))
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Having recently moved here, saw my fiscal rep today and she mentioned this. Details are:

Although exchanging an EU driving licence for a Spanish licence is not required, all Spanish licence conditions apply to the EU licence being used by a foreign resident in Spain. These conditions include:

• the period of validity of the licence
• requirement for medical checks
• payment of taxes
• penalties and restrictions, including suspension, withdrawal and cancellation of the licence

If a driving infraction occurs, Spanish authorities can require the holder of a licence from an EU country to obtain a new, Spanish licence so that points can be removed.

Foreign drivers from within the EU will still need to register with the traffic authorities within six months of moving to Spain. Details must be registered with the Central Register of Drivers and Minor Offenders (Registro Central de Conductores e Infractores) of the Provincial Traffic Headquarters (Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico) of their place of residence.

Once registered, applicants will need to undergo a medical examination at an Authorised Drivers Check Centre (Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado) to show mental and physical fitness and the standards that apply to Spanish drivers will apply to them.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
Having recently moved here, saw my fiscal rep today and she mentioned this. Details are:

Although exchanging an EU driving licence for a Spanish licence is not required, all Spanish licence conditions apply to the EU licence being used by a foreign resident in Spain. These conditions include:

• the period of validity of the licence
• requirement for medical checks
• payment of taxes
• penalties and restrictions, including suspension, withdrawal and cancellation of the licence

If a driving infraction occurs, Spanish authorities can require the holder of a licence from an EU country to obtain a new, Spanish licence so that points can be removed.

Foreign drivers from within the EU will still need to register with the traffic authorities within six months of moving to Spain. Details must be registered with the Central Register of Drivers and Minor Offenders (Registro Central de Conductores e Infractores) of the Provincial Traffic Headquarters (Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico) of their place of residence.

Once registered, applicants will need to undergo a medical examination at an Authorised Drivers Check Centre (Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado) to show mental and physical fitness and the standards that apply to Spanish drivers will apply to them.
She is giving you old info, there is no need to register your UK licence anymore, but you do need to comply with Spains eyesight and health regulations etc.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

truthsayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
She is giving you old info, there is no need to register your UK licence anymore, but you do need to comply with Spains eyesight and health regulations etc.
Sorry to cross swords again, but not quite correct.

"There is also some confusion as the DVLA rules state that for a license to be legal it has to contain a current address and since they don`t issue licenses with addresses outside the UK, then the Spanish who had the same rule, view the license as invalid and in need of replacement.

But the EU are happy that all you need to do is register with Traffico, have a simple medical test and follow the countries rules."

So your lUK license is illegal if the address it carries is not your real one. The only way round is to register your Spanish address against the license with Traffico and hope that the officer who stops you will accept it, together with an up to date medical test (easy)
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by truthsayer
So your lUK license is illegal if the address it carries is not your real one.
That is incorrect.

This is from the DVLA.

"It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."

There is no longer any requirement to register your licence or to exchange it.

Incidentally, Spanish licences do not show your address.

The only rules, as previously mentioned, are that you must conform to the same rules as apply to the holder of a Spanish licence with regard to medicals and frequency of renewals.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by truthsayer
Sorry to cross swords again, but not quite correct.

"There is also some confusion as the DVLA rules state that for a license to be legal it has to contain a current address and since they don`t issue licenses with addresses outside the UK, then the Spanish who had the same rule, view the license as invalid and in need of replacement.

But the EU are happy that all you need to do is register with Traffico, have a simple medical test and follow the countries rules."

So your lUK license is illegal if the address it carries is not your real one. The only way round is to register your Spanish address against the license with Traffico and hope that the officer who stops you will accept it, together with an up to date medical test (easy)
No need to cross swords, just read the free beer thread and enlighten your knowledge. ;-))
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

truthsayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
That is incorrect.

This is from the DVLA.

"It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."

There is no longer any requirement to register your licence or to exchange it.

Incidentally, Spanish licences do not show your address.

The only rules, as previously mentioned, are that you must conform to the same rules as apply to the holder of a Spanish licence with regard to medicals and frequency of renewals.

Happy to bow to superior contributors.

My info comes from:

Santi, spainexpat.com

"Most of the advice I’ve read on other forums is given by retired Expats who have no idea how to communicate in or read Spanish, that’s why there is so much confusion.
Spain though has been ignoring EU legislation regarding licenses and they have prosecuted non Spanish EU residents, not just English people.

In 2012 there will be a shared system, whether Spain continues to ignore legislation is uncertain.

But the EU legislation allows EU countries to still implement local rules and enforce that countries laws, such as the medical rules in Spain compared to the UK.

Spain though uses a small part of the Harmonization rule, which has now changed, that meant all residents into a new EU country had to apply for that countries license within 6 months of becoming a resident.

That changed after the EU took Spain to court and won the case, so the rule got changed.

But Spain are ignoring it in certain regions and by certain officers of Traffico.

But once prosecuted incorrectly it is possible to reverse the penalty, although it can be a long process.

There is also some confusing as the DVLA rules state that for a license to be legal it has to contain a current address and since they don`t issue licenses with addresses outside the UK, then the Spanish who had the same rule, view the license as invalid and in need of replacement.

I think he has feet in both camps, Spanish and British from his spelling.

It is obvious that if you are resident here you have to obey local laws, including the requirement to take a medical. There are so many sources for this info. That I will only send if needed.
However if you read the experiences of other ex-pats, you see that the medical centres are just not set up to cope with non Spanish drivers, and turn you away if you try to take the joke they call a medical.

I visited my local Lawyer/Accountant/Vehicle License Registrar etc. ( Big shiny offices, departments for everything) and spoke to the most forceful Spanish lady I have ever encountered (she has dealt with all my financial/motoring problems for 15 years. All in all very scary but speaks perfect English, and recites chapter and verse every regulation which applies to me, a poor English immigrant. However she does inspire respect, and is sharp as a button. She said that I could continue to use my UK license until it expires, provided that I take the medicals, and she would register my license with Trafico because without this the local officers could give me a hard time.

This is the official site for licences:
http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...l/conductores/

This is from the DVLC site:
"Keeping your details correct

Telling DVLA your details have changed will ensure your record is up to date and all future driving licence reminders are sent to your correct address.

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence."

Bear in mind that when you drive in the UK having moved to Spain you will have to explain to the UK policeman who stops you that the license you are showing him does not have your correct address (as required by UK law) and see what he says. A contact in this area said that he would regard this as an invalid license, in that the address is wrong and would ticket accordingly.

I have been searching in vain for a Spanish site without success, where I am sure I saw an article, which claimed that if you are stopped for a traffic offence, which carries a points penalty, you must obtain a Spanish license for the points to be applied. Is this possible?

Like everyone else here I want to stay legal, but with the British Embassy saying everything is fine, just keep driving and report problems to us, whilst the Spanish side seem to say "obey our local rules or we will fine/impound", I get the feeling that unless you get a full Spanish license and take the tests local Trafico will just fine you anyway. They know you can reclaim for any incorrect payments, but the process is so difficult, few try.

So whatever advice is given here or elsewhere, even if you believe you are right to just keep driving on your UK license, this is Spain, and the Spanish do things their way, not ours.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Uk licence new laws. Medical.

Originally Posted by Fred James
That is incorrect.

This is from the DVLA.

Fred - Could you paste the link to me where the above excerpt came from please ?
I wouldn't mind printing that out and putting it in my wallet just in case.

Thanks,
DSB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.