Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK expat living in Germany how many days can I stay in Spain

UK expat living in Germany how many days can I stay in Spain

Old May 15th 2022, 1:00 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK expat living in Germany how many days can I stay in Spain

Originally Posted by Lou71
The EES and ETIAS systems only apply to third country nationals (not EU nationals) entering the Schengen zone and I don't think either will apply to third country EU residents entering the zone but I've never bothered to delve too deeply into it because I'm an EU national.
Correct. Non-EU nationals resident in Schengen should avoid using e-gates at any Schengen entry point :
Non EU nationals who live in an EU country and have a national residency card such as a carte de séjour in France or a TIE in Spain are not affected by this, since they have the right to unlimited stays within their country of residence.

We asked the European Commission how the system works for residents and were told: “The Entry/Exit System will not apply to non-EU citizens holding a residence document or a residence permit. Their personal data will not be registered in the Entry/Exit System.

“It is enough if holders of such documents present them to the border guards to prove their status.”

The Commission later clarified that non-EU citizens who are resident in an EU country should not use eGates or automatic scanners, but should instead head to the queue with an in-person guard (if available) where they can show both their passport and residency document.
Passport scans and €7 fee: What will change for EU travel in 2022

There are no land borders within the Schengen area so it's not relevant when travelling by road between Schengen countries. I've no idea how it will work at airports, for example, travelling between Frankfurt and Malaga.
There are normally* no border checks within the Schengen area regardless of the mode of travel, so at airports if your source was within Schengen, you're routed to avoid passport control on arrival.

* The exception being that member states are allowed to temporarily reinstate border controls, as a last resort and in exceptional circumstances.
Old May 15th 2022, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
You may / may not be correct.
It was you who erroneously compared pre-Brexit to current regulations.
However I have yet to meet an EU national who knows or cares about this issue.
I have no interest in debating pointless rules which do not apply to me or the EU citizens who may choose to ignore them.
I merely made a mention of pre Brexit rules for UK as that's the same rules that apply to all EU citizens. Obviously different rules now apply to Brits. If the information is wrong then it's not my information but the Spanish government. I simply put the information and link on to help and show the official rules. It matters not to me I'm resident in Spain.
Old May 15th 2022, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not believe you are correct. However, this is of no interest to me nor it would appear you. I have no interest in debating hypothetical issues.
It is of interest to me, that's why I posted. Things of no interest to me I don't post about. If I don't want to debate/discuss an issue, hypothetical or not, I don't post three times saying I don't debate the issue. Maybe you ought to try that instead of multiple times saying you have no interest and won't engage.
Old May 15th 2022, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking for EU tourists who have gone through this procedure with the intention of staying for six months. I have asked all my Dutch, Belgian and German neighbours who are constantly coming and going but no luck there. I will have to cast my net wider. No luck with my neighbours in Portugal either.
It doesn't matter what (or how many of) your friends do (or have done), the bottom line is the relevant laws (EU Directive 2004/38 and Spanish Royal Decree 557/2011) make it abundantly clear what the obligations are.

Last edited by Bomber Harris; May 15th 2022 at 1:30 pm.
Old May 15th 2022, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
It doesn't matter what (or how many of) your friends do (or have done), the bottom line is the relevant laws (EU Directive 2004/38 and Spanish Royal Decree 557/2011) make it abundantly clear what the obligations are.
I would like to hear about EU nationals who have been fined for non compliance of the above. Anti EU rags like the Daily Mail must have stories about British tourists fined for staying in Spain/EU states for six months without registering while the UK was still an EU member. There must be plenty of horror stories out there, can anyone provide a link?
Old May 15th 2022, 2:14 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I merely made a mention of pre Brexit rules for UK as that's the same rules that apply to all EU citizens. Obviously different rules now apply to Brits. If the information is wrong then it's not my information but the Spanish government. I simply put the information and link on to help and show the official rules. It matters not to me I'm resident in Spain.
All persons are required to show their identification when checking in to accommodation. The EU national who owns a holiday home told me all he needs to do is sign on the padron at the Ayuntamiento. This may or may not satisfy the regulations.

EU nationals would appear to interpret "the official rules" differently to you.

Last edited by missile; May 15th 2022 at 2:19 pm.
Old May 15th 2022, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to hear about EU nationals who have been fined for non compliance of the above. Anti EU rags like the Daily Mail must have stories about British tourists fined for staying in Spain/EU states for six months without registering while the UK was still an EU member. There must be plenty of horror stories out there, can anyone provide a link?
So you've moved the goalposts. You initially asked for people who have gone through the process, you've been given them so now you want to know if anyone has been fined. I can't be bothered to go hunting the link now but there was a report in one of the Portuguese papers of a German national being fined €300 for failing to register his presence in Portugal (must register between 90 and 120 days of entry).

Last edited by Bomber Harris; May 15th 2022 at 3:43 pm.
Old May 15th 2022, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

bobd22 gives the official rules and you give an anecdote of what someone told you, to refute it.
Let me think for a minute about which I'll abide by...........

Last edited by Rosemary; May 15th 2022 at 3:13 pm. Reason: Quote removed because the name had been changed. This is a banning offence, please be careful
Old May 15th 2022, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

All persons are required to show their identification when checking in to accommodation. The EU national who owns a holiday home told me all he needs to do is sign on the padron at the Ayuntamiento. This may or may not satisfy the regulations.
I haven't interpreted any rules all I did was put the Spanish Government link as to what they say should be done. I presume your EU friends sign off the padron at the end of their long holiday? The padron is for those who's habitual residence is in the town that they sign the padron. Just as this signing the EU register for stays over 90 days gets ignored then so does signing on the padron rules thst it's for residents . However there have been in the past posts on here where people have said they know of people who were non resident and on the padron visited by police and told either obtain residency or come off the padron. All I have done is provide a link for Mark604 showing what the Spanish Government say are the rules its from the official site directly in English so their interpretation. What Mark604 chooses to do is totally up to him in fact he has on a number of occasions pointed out he does not overstay but wanted to know rules. You seem to wish to make an argument out of saying he should just stay? That is up to him I don't intend entering into any further debate with you specifically. I have provided the link to official information. I'm not sure the fact you seem to be intent on telling people they should just ignore official information fits with forum guidance but that's up to site admin.

Last edited by bobd22; May 15th 2022 at 3:18 pm.
Old May 15th 2022, 3:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

If he does that he is totally wrong as it is for residents as I am sure that you told him also he could well end up being chased by the tax man. Bigger fool him if he thinks that he has an easy solution or should I say a way that he thinks that he can get around the law.

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2022, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here is another link where you can go through the options either as eu or non eu citizen.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r%20residence.

Old May 15th 2022, 3:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry folks, there were a few problems with quotes, I managed to put some right but was not sure on others so decided that it was best to delete the quote rather than mess up the post.

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2022, 3:35 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I haven't interpreted any rules all I did was put the Spanish Government link as to what they say should be done. I presume your EU friends sign off the padron at the end of their long holiday? The padron is for those who's habitual residence is in the town that they sign the padron. Just as this signing the EU register for stays over 90 days gets ignored then so does signing on the padron rules thst it's for residents . However there have been in the past posts on here where people have said they know of people who were non resident and on the padron visited by police and told either obtain residency or come off the padron. All I have done is provide a link for Mark604 showing what the Spanish Government say are the rules its from the official site directly in English so their interpretation. What Mark604 chooses to do is totally up to him in fact he has on a number of occasions pointed out he does not overstay but wanted to know rules. You seem to wish to make an argument out of saying he should just stay? That is up to him I don't intend entering into any further debate with you specifically. I have provided the link to official information. I'm not sure the fact you seem to be intent on telling people they should just ignore official information fits with forum guidance but that's up to site admin.
I am not making an argument and never tell people what they ought to do. Oh contraire, it was YOU who chose to "correct" my post and start this rather pointless debate.
We can all quote bullshit rules which are neither followed or enforced.
You are being a pedant. We have already established these rules which you are so fond of quoting are not applicable to OP, you or me. I doubt many EU nationals will read this forum and none will look to you for guidance. They might enjoy a chuckle at the know it all and do as I say Brits.
Old May 15th 2022, 3:43 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Rosemary
If he does that he is totally wrong as it is for residents as I am sure that you told him also he could well end up being chased by the tax man. Bigger fool him if he thinks that he has an easy solution or should I say a way that he thinks that he can get around the law.

Rosemary
Rosemary, I am not making any case. I don't think we have any right to comment on rules which may/ may not be applicable other EU nationalities.

Old May 15th 2022, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

This is pure speculation but my guess is the Commission are tightening up the Schengen borders for third country nationals via EES and ETIAS and trying to keep freedom of movement as free flowing and unhindered as possible for EU nationals. This seems to be their number one priority.

Putting it bluntly, third country EU residents are not a priority for them. The UK government could have negotiated onward freedom of movement for people who were resident in EU states prior to Brexit but decided to be pig headed and refused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.