Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK expat living in Germany how many days can I stay in Spain

UK expat living in Germany how many days can I stay in Spain

Old May 15th 2022, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK expat living in Germany how many days can I stay in Spain

Originally Posted by Lou71
You are supposed to apply for residency if you intend to relocate permanently and you are automatically tax resident if you stay for more than 183 days.

Nobody is going to apply for full residency if they are only staying for six months which entails changing their driving licence, tax status etc, it's a complete nonsense. What happens when they go home after six months, they change their driving licence and tax status back to their host state again?

Presumably there is a visitor register at police stations but I don't know of any EU national who has gone through this procedure - another member referred to a German tourist in Mazarron.

Bottom line, EU nationals can travel throughout the EU unhindered, UK nationals can't and will be fined, banned and deported if they overstay.. unless they have an EU partner.
​​
Do we know the nationality of the OP's partner?
https://administracion.gob.es/pag_Ho...residente.html
Old May 15th 2022, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I did add that link a few comments back
Old May 15th 2022, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I did add that link a few comments back
Sorry Bob, going snowblind with it all!
Old May 15th 2022, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody is going to apply for full residency if they are only staying for six months which entails changing their driving licence, tax status etc, it's a complete nonsense. What happens when they go home after six months, they change their driving licence and tax status back to their host state again?
Registering in the host state as required is not applying for full residency.
Both the registration certificate issued to EU citizens, and the card issued to their tag-along non EU Spouse, who want to remain for longer than 3 months "shall be valid for five years from the date of issue or for the envisaged period of residence of the Union citizen, if this period is less than five years". (Bold type added by me for emphasis)
Ergo no need to change driving licence, tax status etc when complying with what is required of you, and it also avoids "
Failure to comply with the registration requirement may render the person concerned liable to proportionate and non-discriminatory sanctions".
See it's not complete nonsense as you suggest, it's all covered in the relevant legislation.
Old May 15th 2022, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no seperate register for this at police stations in Spain. The correct procedure is to obtain the the green registration certificate which pre brexit we referred to as green residency card. You would obtain a temporary one which I would guess would be valid for 5 years. The procedure to get that certificate is exactly the same procedure one used to obtain the same card for residency pre brexit and TIE cards. Whether one should return and cancel it at the end of 6 months or retain it for future stays which may occur of over 3 months I don't know? Because it is basically the exact same procedure and requirements for obtaining residency is why it was ignored. The rules however are over 3 month stays it should be registered that applies to all EU nationals Schengen or not.[/QUOTE]
No wonder tourists ignore it and it is not strictly enforced.

​​​​​​It's longer a problem for UK nationals who have lost freedom of movement.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 15th 2022 at 3:10 pm.
Old May 15th 2022, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Registering in the host state as required is not applying for full residency.
Both the registration certificate issued to EU citizens, and the card issued to their tag-along non EU Spouse, who want to remain for longer than 3 months "shall be valid for five years from the date of issue or for the envisaged period of residence of the Union citizen, if this period is less than five years". (Bold type added by me for emphasis)
Ergo no need to change driving licence, tax status etc when complying with what is required of you, and it also avoids "
Failure to comply with the registration requirement may render the person concerned liable to proportionate and non-discriminatory sanctions".
See it's not complete nonsense as you suggest, it's all covered in the relevant legislation.
I'm going to try and find someone who has gone through this exact procedure. Someone on here perhaps?

Obviously it is not open to UK nationals now.
Old May 15th 2022, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to try and find someone who has gone through this exact procedure. Someone on here perhaps?

Obviously it is not open to UK nationals now.
When the UK was still in the EU a number of my friends from the UK did it when overwintering in either Spain or Portugal. They would tell me the only difficult part was sometimes trying to get the official to understand they only wanted a 6 month registration and not the usual 5 year one.
Old May 15th 2022, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to try and find someone who has gone through this exact procedure. Someone on here perhaps?.

I am that person as at one point pre brexit I went through the whole procedure and obtained my green registration certificate it was with the intention of going on to full residency. However after 4 months our plans were changed by unforseen circumstances and I wanted to cancel my registration as I did not want to run into. Issues re tax and driving licence. So I simply went back through the procedure used to apply but ticked the box cancel and at the designated police station they took paperwork asked for my green card and de registered me. 18 months later our situation re changed favourably for our permenant move I then re submitted for green card got it which 2 years later I changed for TIE.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 15th 2022 at 1:02 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old May 15th 2022, 12:23 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
"...an EU citizen can stay in any EU country / schengen area for any number of days."
I tend to think if an EU citizen wants to stay in a different EU country for more than 183 days, they have to become a resident.
If I wanted to stay in a different EU country than the one I have residence for I would apply for citizenship or residence there. But I don't. I'm quite happy where I am, visiting other EU countries and abiding by the limits. That's good enough for me.
I do not believe you are correct. However, this is of no interest to me nor it would appear you. I have no interest in debating hypothetical issues.
Old May 15th 2022, 12:37 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that after 90 days even if from Schengen country one should sign the foreigners register as UK citizens were required to do pre Brexit? Which really entailed obtaining residency and was often ignored.
There was a contentious debate about whether non resident UK nationals should sign the padron pre Brexit.

AFIK an EU tourist staying longer than 90 days does not require to obtain residency. However, I am not an EU national and have no interest in debating hypothetical issues.

Old May 15th 2022, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
When the UK was still in the EU a number of my friends from the UK did it when overwintering in either Spain or Portugal. They would tell me the only difficult part was sometimes trying to get the official to understand they only wanted a 6 month registration and not the usual 5 year one.
Frankly, the official would have been somewhat baffled as to why tourists were bothering to register for a six month holiday, rules or not.
Old May 15th 2022, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by missile
There was a contentious debate about whether non resident UK nationals should sign the padron pre Brexit.

AFIK an EU tourist staying longer than 90 days does not require to obtain residency. However, I am not an EU national and have no interest in debating hypothetical issues.
Per the link both I and Vedshappy put on the requirement applies to all EU citizens. The point about the Padron is a separate issue. Signing the Register is exactly the same procedure as we Brits used to go through to obtain the old green card residencia. Whether people choose to comply is of course a personal decision.
Old May 15th 2022, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Frankly, the official would have been somewhat baffled as to why tourists were bothering to register for a six month holiday, rules or not.
Maybe to fully comply with EU legislation?
Old May 15th 2022, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am that person as at one point pre brexit I went through the whole procedure and obtained my green registration certificate it was with the intention of going on to full residency. However after 4 months our plans were changed by unforseen circumstances and I wanted to cancel my registration as I did not want to run into. Issues re tax and driving licence. So I simply went back through the procedure used to apply but ticked the box cancel and at the designated police station they took paperwork asked for my green card and de registered me. 18 months later our situation re changed favourably for our permenant move I then re submitted for green card got it which 2 years later I changed for TIE.[/QUOTE]
I can see why you did what you did, you were intending to relocate permanently.

I'm looking for EU tourists who have gone through this procedure with the intention of staying for six months. I have asked all my Dutch, Belgian and German neighbours who are constantly coming and going but no luck there. I will have to cast my net wider. No luck with my neighbours in Portugal either.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 15th 2022 at 1:04 pm. Reason: Not sure who you were quoting as there was a mix up so I removed what was there
Old May 15th 2022, 12:58 pm
Started off with nothing

Per the link both I and Vedshappy put on the requirement applies to all EU citizens. The point about the Padron is a separate issue. Signing the Register is exactly the same procedure as we Brits used to go through to obtain the old green card residencia. Whether people choose to comply is of course a personal decision.
You may / may not be correct.
It was you who erroneously compared pre-Brexit to current regulations.
However I have yet to meet an EU national who knows or cares about this issue.
I have no interest in debating pointless rules which do not apply to me or the EU citizens who may choose to ignore them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.