Reload this Page >

UK Expat buying a car in Spain

UK Expat buying a car in Spain

Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Expat79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Expat buying a car in Spain

Hi

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on privately buying a second hand car in Spain.

I've found a number of online used car websites and I think I've found the car I want however, I'm thinking that bying a car in Spain is not as simple as the UK.

I the UK you just have to fill out the logbook and send off the little slip at the bottom, but from what I understand you have to write up some kind of agreement with the seller. Is this correct?

I would also like to know how insurance works in Spain. I've heard that insurance is transferable from the seller to the buyer. This is confusing me as in the UK, car insurance premiums and the cover provided are unique to every individual and cannot be transferred from one person to another.

Finally, Road tax. Is this cost of the tax based on either engine size and CO2 emissions? how much would it be for say.. a 1.6?

Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:06 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Expat buying a car in Spain

Beware private buy. Just like in the UK there are many scammers and the added language problem. I would suggest you go to a reputable dealer and get a warranty. A good one will advise you everything you need to do and sort out paperwork for you. Try DIY and you will be in a minefield of spanish bureaucracy.

To answer your questions, please be advised:
1. You need a receipt from the seller, (just same as a prudent person may ask for in UK)
2. Insurance is not transferable to new owner. Usually the policy will cover any driver over 25 and have emergency breakdown assistance.
3. Road tax (SUMA) is based on the car and varies depending on which region you are in. Usually far less than you would pay in UK. Make sure to get the SUMA receipt from previous owner. You will need this.

There are many other things you ought to know and I suggest you search this and other forums. Beware info from the man in the pub.

*** My advice is to buy from a reputable dealer ****

Last edited by missile; Dec 30th 2012 at 6:10 am.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

The transfer of ownership is potentially more complicated than the UK and does involve the payment of a transfer tax.

Whilst it is possible (with thorough knowledge and understanding of the system and some Spanish) to complete this process it might be best first time around to use a professional gestor as failure to complete the process could lead to many expensive problems.

And yes buying from a professional dealer and getting a guarantee would be wise and they should also at least assist with the transfer of ownership.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Also, using a dealer you will, at least, be assured that the car is free of fines or debts, fines in Spain follow the car as does failure to pay the tax, so if you buy from an unscrupulous individual, you may find you are saddled with several thousands in fines etc which the previous owner has failed to pay. Use a dealer, or at least a gestor for the sale as they will also check the car is free from debt.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

You're assuming, of course, that the dealer is not unscrupulous!

Also, be aware that dealers do not transfer the cars to themselves - they keep them in the name of the previous owner until they are sold. There are several downsides to this;
  • They might not have done any debt checks
  • For a car being sold, the previous owner may still get billed for road tax as it's not yet been transferred
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You're assuming, of course, that the dealer is not unscrupulous!

Also, be aware that dealers do not transfer the cars to themselves - they keep them in the name of the previous owner until they are sold. There are several downsides to this;
  • They might not have done any debt checks
  • For a car being sold, the previous owner may still get billed for road tax as it's not yet been transferred
Yes, I had to pay an ITV, and road tax when I sold my car to a dealer, but this was to a Renault dealer and I had bought a new car from them, ITV cast was the basic cost, nothing for any repairs as they ensured it would pass before sending it at no cost to me.
There are good and bad dealers, you would be better to trust one recommended by friends, which is what I did when I bought my second hand car, and I was fortunate enough to have an ex police driver to take it for a test drive for me, so he really put it through it's paces.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:33 am
Just Joined

icgc is an unknown quantity at this point

In Spain you insure the car not the driver, i.e. your car can be driven by anyone fulfilling the requirements of the policy, e.g. minimum age. Therefore if the previous owner of the car is happy, you can drive the car on his/her policy. You can also transfer the policy to your name I believe but I expect it will cost.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice. It's much appreciated!

From what I've read, buying a second hand car privately is going to be a nightmare and buying from a dealer can be hit and miss.

I wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to lease a car? Thought this might be easier for the first 6 months? Do they do Car leasing in Spain?

Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Well I would not be put off - quite a few expats have managed to purchase a car! And it is a buyers market.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:57 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat79
Thanks for all the advice. It's much appreciated!

From what I've read, buying a second hand car privately is going to be a nightmare and buying from a dealer can be hit and miss.

I wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to lease a car? Thought this might be easier for the first 6 months? Do they do Car leasing in Spain?

Thanks
You can lease a car just as you would in UK, but I think you mean contract hire?

I guess you would want to hire a car from day 1 and it would be a good idea to negotiate a longer deal so that you can search out the car you want to buy. You may find it is not as expensive to hire as you might think. You will have a reliable newish car with the convenience of having the company take care of maintenance, repairs and insurance. You may decide not to burden yourself with your own vehicle.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time in Gib.

Last edited by missile; Dec 30th 2012 at 1:03 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info!

Contract hire does sound like a good option until I'm settled in. I can then look for a car in my own time.

Doy you know of any good companies that do personal contract hire?

Thanks again
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:30 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Expat79
Thanks for the info!

Contract hire does sound like a good option until I'm settled in. I can then look for a car in my own time.

Doy you know of any good companies that do personal contract hire?

Thanks again
There are many companies who can provide this service. Some will rent you older cars at knock down prices. Google "contract hire in spain".

What kind of car do you want? It may cost a little more, but I prefer to deal with a franchised dealer. Just like in UK, dealerships vary. I had dreadful patronising service at BMW and poor service at Audi in Elche. I have had fantastic service from the Audi dealership Sala Hermanos in Sant Juan d'Alicante. My local independent garage is even better, but he does not speak any english.

Obviously, Seat is the most common car in Spain but you can hire almost any car you desire, e.g. a friend of mine hired a TT.

Last edited by missile; Dec 30th 2012 at 1:43 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

You have said you will be working in Gib and living in Spain.

First of all crossing into Gib with a car can be very time consuming and the same applies to the return journey. Queues of up to FIVE HOURS earlier this year, also parking in Gib can be a nightmare.

So in reality your need for a car will depend on how far from the frontier you decide to live along with your pleasure requirements for car use.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:54 pm
Started off with nothing

I understand many park and walk/ cycle to Gib.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I understand many park and walk/ cycle to Gib.
Yes missile there is a carpark run by / for the La Linea Ayuntiamento workers who are now 7 months behind with their pay packets.
Voluntary payment, most give a euro or two for a days parking. However in bad weather it is very prone to flooding.

Cycling, it is generally the cyclists and scooter riders who are hardest hit by the frontier queues, cheap transport to smuggle on.this was not the case before the PP were elected.

However the need for a car is dependent on many things and depending on the OP's situation may not be so urgent. Therefore giving more time to get things right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.