Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Driving license -> Spanish Driving License Compulsary?

UK Driving license -> Spanish Driving License Compulsary?

Old Apr 17th 2015, 8:47 am
Malaga Expat

jewseboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Driving license -> Spanish Driving License Compulsary?

Hi Guys

Had a quick look on some threads but cant find a definitive answer to my question.

Is it illegal to drive in Spain as a Spanish resident on a UK license?

The usual story: a bar fly told me last night that there are news laws in Spain that makes it compulsory to go to Trafico and for €2 transfer your UK license to a Spanish license if you are permanently driving in Spain.

Can anyone share the knowledge on this before the scaremongering breaks out again?
Old Apr 17th 2015, 9:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving license -> Spanish Driving License Compulsary?

You didn't look very far! There is a "sticky" thread at the top of the forum that tells you all you need to know.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...thread-786975/

There is a lot of misinformation about at the moment saying that you must exchange after 2 years.

This only applies to licences that are valid for more than 15 years or which have no expiry date.

The only UK licences that might be affected are the old paper licences. The new photocard licenses need renewing after 10 years, which is in accordance with the EU directive.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 12:46 pm
Malaga Expat

jewseboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driving license -> Spanish Driving License Compulsary?

sorry Fred I used the search facility must of typed in the wrong stuff

Thanks for the info.

Yes you are right a lot of mis info out there.

Thanks for taking it easy on me will double check next time :-)