British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   UK to Costa del Sol, work in Gibraltar, wife Pregnant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-costa-del-sol-work-gibraltar-wife-pregnant-915887/)

Zebrauk Aug 9th 2018 8:08 pm

UK to Costa del Sol, work in Gibraltar, wife Pregnant

*PREGNANT on title
Hello all,
I'm new here so pardon me if something similar is around (I could not find).
An exciting position with a well established company appeared for me, I'm EU citizen and wife has Permanent UK Residence.
I'm looking to move to Estepona area, while working in Gibraltar, would be a straight move if wife was not 5 months pregnant and having the antenatal care in NHS.

So my doubt is if I move, wife will be around 6 1/2 months, would we find any difficulties to book the remaining antenatal care and the birth in a Spanish hospital? Is it free? Or should I move to Gibraltar for 6 months, continue the treatment there and them move to Estepona?

Also I'll most likely drive my car via Ferry to Santander, as I have a tiny dog.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

BritInParis Aug 9th 2018 8:43 pm

Re: UK to Costa del Sol, work in Gibraltar, wife Pregnant

What citizenship do you and your wife hold? Is your wife planning to apply for British citizenship before she leaves?

Zebrauk Aug 9th 2018 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12545923)
What citizenship do you and your wife hold? Is your wife planning to apply for British citizenship before she leaves?

I'm Italian, she is Brazilian, we have applied to her citizenship in Italy, but we would move before that. I also speak fluent Spanish.

Johncarzx Aug 10th 2018 12:44 pm

Hello Zebrauk

I can understand you seeking information on a forum to get quick advice, but you should understand any advice given is usually an opinion from either knowledge or experience of an unqualified member and not always up to date. Your questions are important and critical you get things correct.

You best course of action would be for you to contact your nearest Spanish Consulate. They will answer what they are able to and inform you who to contact on matters beyond their scope, which would be easy for you as you are fluent in Spanish.

I doubt they would be interested in your tiny dog’s ferry ride.:flypig:

Fredbargate Aug 10th 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Zebrauk (Post 12545909)
*PREGNANT on title
Hello all,
I'm new here so pardon me if something similar is around (I could not find).
An exciting position with a well established company appeared for me, I'm EU citizen and wife has Permanent UK Residence.
I'm looking to move to Estepona area, while working in Gibraltar, would be a straight move if wife was not 5 months pregnant and having the antenatal care in NHS.

So my doubt is if I move, wife will be around 6 1/2 months, would we find any difficulties to book the remaining antenatal care and the birth in a Spanish hospital? Is it free? Or should I move to Gibraltar for 6 months, continue the treatment there and them move to Estepona?

Also I'll most likely drive my car via Ferry to Santander, as I have a tiny dog.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm always in favour of people who come to work here in Gibraltar finding accommodation in Gibraltar first of all whilst checking on the advantages / disadvantages of traveling outside the country for a more permanent home.

BritInParis Aug 11th 2018 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12546312)
I'm always in favour of people who come to work here in Gibraltar finding accommodation in Gibraltar first of all whilst checking on the advantages / disadvantages of traveling outside the country for a more permanent home.

The implications of Brexit make this an even more desirable course of action. I would also strongly recommend both the OP and his wife becoming British citizens for the same reason.