Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

uk citizen, non resident in spain The Ministry Of Defence!

uk citizen, non resident in spain The Ministry Of Defence!

Old Mar 3rd 2021, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

honeybee jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk citizen, non resident in spain The Ministry Of Defence!

hi there british expats forum ... i have a question ..i am a uk citizen non resident in spain, ive owned a property there for many many year , have an nie number / pay necessary taxes etc. I have just become aware of an issue :

my property is considered to be within a military zone... apparantly it always was but was never an issue pre brexit ..however post brexit ..it is my understanding that if i sell,buy or possible do construction or other issues ( not sure on the precise details) with my property --- i will need to apply to the mod first.... in applying again it is my understanding that i have to provide a criminal record check from the uk before i can even apply too.....just wondering if anyone has any information on this issue please

with thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk citizen, non resident in spain The Ministry Of Defence!

Originally Posted by honeybee jones
hi there british expats forum ... i have a question ..i am a uk citizen non resident in spain, ive owned a property there for many many year , have an nie number / pay necessary taxes etc. I have just become aware of an issue :

my property is considered to be within a military zone... apparantly it always was but was never an issue pre brexit ..however post brexit ..it is my understanding that if i sell,buy or possible do construction or other issues ( not sure on the precise details) with my property --- i will need to apply to the mod first.... in applying again it is my understanding that i have to provide a criminal record check from the uk before i can even apply too.....just wondering if anyone has any information on this issue please

with thanks

answered this on the other forum.

here you go. Its not new, its been in operation for ages for 3rd country nationals.

https://www.thelocal.es/20210125/pro...s-after-brexit
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk citizen, non resident in spain The Ministry Of Defence!

Originally Posted by honeybee jones

with thanks
This was given considerable publicity in the Spanish and British press about a month or so ago and relates to a law from the Franco era , 1975, which post-Brexit applies to British citizens and it applies to various areas of Spain such as Cartegena, Cadiz area, Balearic Islands etc where there are military installations nearby. It relates to the purchase / sale of all properties. It has always been the case for Non-Europeans so not really new in that sense just that now it also affects the British .Yes a criminal history check is required as is residency and even a plan of the property etc and the documents need to be submitted to the regional military authority. In theory the Notary who processes the transaction should request this documentation before completing the transaction.