Can anyone advise me about bringing a Uk registered car To keep in Spain
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Cars In Spain

Originally Posted by peter 1
Can anyone advise me about bringing a Uk registered car To keep in Spain
Peter,

When you say "keep" I presume you mean "to never return".

IMO:

You should ensure your car is taxed and MOT'd (if required), you'll also need to make sure you have all the paperwork, and the usual stuff for driving in Spain; i.e. fluorescent jackets, warning triangles, first aid kit, spare bulbs, fire extinguisher etc etc.

You'll need to obtain insurance - a selection of companies insure UK cars in Spain.

If you are keeping the car outside the UK you'll need to tell the DVLA and export it. This means the car leaves the UK system and it isn't simply a case of driving it back and getting a new tax disc once you've done this.

You can get UK cars taxed and tested in Spain although you'll have to (at least) get the headlights modified and in typical Spanish fashion it means paperwork.

You'll see dozens of British Reg cars driving about, no tax, probably no MOT. These cars just don't exisit anymore. Technically they are breaking the law and if they ever got into an accident then there could be problems with insurance (the car not being road legal).

If you can afford to do it, best thing is to use the car to help get you here and drive you about until you buy a LHD Spanish reg car. Then drive the UK car back to Blighty and sell it.

Secondhand car prices in Spain are crazy. Buy new but watch out. Kia and other Korean brands that in the UK are rated one notch above Skoda are not viewed in the same light here.

Hyundai (example) , who do a very sexy Coupe, are actually the same or more expensive (depending on car and model) than in the UK .

Ultimately people do drive for years and years on a ghost British reg car, but not sure that Trafico would approve.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 8:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with most things that svenskidoo has said apart from the "You can get UK cars taxed and tested in Spain although you'll have to (at least) get the headlights modified and in typical Spanish fashion it means paperwork." I think you would have to take it back to England to tax and MOT it as it says tax and MOT in country of origin, and as its a british car......Of course unless they have changed the law again as happens quite regular here. Mind you the insurance co will still take your money though....

There are so many driving regulations here concerning foreign cars and even the EU driving licence, even the police are not sure of them all, but they just tow your car away and leave it to you to try and sort it before you get the car back. Just keep all your paperwork and driving essentials in the car and the police will be well impressed as svenskidoo said.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I meant to say you could go through the process of getting a UK car taxed and tested in Spain, i.e. changing the registration to a Spanish one.

Bit unclear so sorry for any confusion, jdr is 100% correct .

Driving licences are another big grey area. Since October , I believe, you can drive legally now in Spain on your UK licence - no more having to exchange your licence for a Spanish one.

But; if you no longer live in the UK you are not entitled to a UK licence and/or your address on your licence is going to be incorrect! (think fines) - another great EU bungle - what they giveth they taketh away again.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
Sorry, I meant to say you could go through the process of getting a UK car taxed and tested in Spain, i.e. changing the registration to a Spanish one.

Bit unclear so sorry for any confusion, jdr is 100% correct .

Driving licences are another big grey area. Since October , I believe, you can drive legally now in Spain on your UK licence - no more having to exchange your licence for a Spanish one.

But; if you no longer live in the UK you are not entitled to a UK licence and/or your address on your licence is going to be incorrect! (think fines) - another great EU bungle - what they giveth they taketh away again.
I think that is why they like you to get the EU licence stamped by the trafico in Spain. Boy they have more paperwork here than bars, and thats saying something
PS the rain has gone
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

peter 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
I think that is why they like you to get the EU licence stamped by the trafico in Spain. Boy they have more paperwork here than bars, and thats saying something
PS the rain has gone
Thanks
Pete
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

peter 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: UK Cars In Spain

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
Peter,

When you say "keep" I presume you mean "to never return".

IMO:

You should ensure your car is taxed and MOT'd (if required), you'll also need to make sure you have all the paperwork, and the usual stuff for driving in Spain; i.e. fluorescent jackets, warning triangles, first aid kit, spare bulbs, fire extinguisher etc etc.

You'll need to obtain insurance - a selection of companies insure UK cars in Spain.

If you are keeping the car outside the UK you'll need to tell the DVLA and export it. This means the car leaves the UK system and it isn't simply a case of driving it back and getting a new tax disc once you've done this.

You can get UK cars taxed and tested in Spain although you'll have to (at least) get the headlights modified and in typical Spanish fashion it means paperwork.

You'll see dozens of British Reg cars driving about, no tax, probably no MOT. These cars just don't exisit anymore. Technically they are breaking the law and if they ever got into an accident then there could be problems with insurance (the car not being road legal).

If you can afford to do it, best thing is to use the car to help get you here and drive you about until you buy a LHD Spanish reg car. Then drive the UK car back to Blighty and sell it.

Secondhand car prices in Spain are crazy. Buy new but watch out. Kia and other Korean brands that in the UK are rated one notch above Skoda are not viewed in the same light here.

Hyundai (example) , who do a very sexy Coupe, are actually the same or more expensive (depending on car and model) than in the UK .

Ultimately people do drive for years and years on a ghost British reg car, but not sure that Trafico would approve.
Thanks
Pete